Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 04:59 AM

128 posts, read 403,180 times

Advertisements

Because the airlines are losing millions of dollars every day when they are not able to fly through a large number of European Countries, and the ASH is expected to last for months, they now want permission to throw caution to the wind and fly their jets anyway. They want to wing it and hope for the best. Passengers would likely have to sign some type of release and agree not to sue if the plane crashed.

If you were trapped in Europe, would you fly through the ash and hope to make it back alive?

KLM pushes to resume passenger flights after tests - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_iceland_volcano - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 06:36 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,319,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
Because the airlines are losing millions of dollars every day when they are not able to fly through a large number of European Countries, and the ASH is expected to last for months, they now want permission to throw caution to the wind and fly their jets anyway. They want to wing it and hope for the best. Passengers would likely have to sign some type of release and agree not to sue if the plane crashed.

If you were trapped in Europe, would you fly through the ash and hope to make it back alive?

KLM pushes to resume passenger flights after tests - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_iceland_volcano - broken link)
Okay, I'm not a pilot so...take my comment with a grain of salt..BUT - I would venture to say we don't have pilots willing to die to fly, nor do the crew. SO, I would presume that the pilots would only agree to resume flights in particular airflight patterns should they feel unthreatened by that path. I'm sure there is someone with a much more "technical" point of view of the matter, but I am just thinking pilots and crew would be up in arms if the risk was that they really believed they would encounter an issue.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:58 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
I'm supposed to be flying to Manchester, England on May 1st. I'm not at all sure I'd want to take the risk of flying into a volcanic ash cloud. Hopefully, by the time my trip comes up, this will have been resolved. It would take a huge act of faith for me to occupy my window seat on one of the first flights to resume - especially since there's no guarantee the winds wouldn't shift, and I might get stuck across the pond with no way of getting home after a week.

The test flights only reveal certain conditions at that time, at that altitude, etc. I'm not going to trust my life to one or two test flights that were conducted with no measuring equipment, etc.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:47 PM

702 posts, read 3,009,821 times
I think the key is the density of the ash. Most of the catastrophic loss of engines occur near the vicinity of the volcano. Iceland is hundreds of miles away from mainland Europe, so it makes sense to decide at what point is it still safe to fly. The ash will naturally disperse over a large area and thus is not very dense and may not be as dangerous.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:44 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post

A good pilot and plane can fly through anything. We have to get air travel moving again. Unlike the USA, there is no alternatives to flying overseas. There are no ships from the UK to the USA anymore. Just put the best planes and most experienced pilots and let's get flying!

Old 04-18-2010, 01:57 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
A good pilot and plane can fly through anything. We have to get air travel moving again. Unlike the USA, there is no alternatives to flying overseas. There are no ships from the UK to the USA anymore. Just put the best planes and most experienced pilots and let's get flying!
Very few people have to fly overseas. Most business can be done via phone, computer or video-conferencing. Most leisure travel is non-vital. Yes, it is annoying but I would rather trust the judgement of the authorities than some airline worried about its profit margin.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:59 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,134 times
My guess would be that Pratt & Whitney, Rolls Royce, and GE are studying samples of the ash to determine the affects on their engines. They will have a big say on which planes will be able to fly. If each company is comfortable with the ability of their engines, the governing bodies will give the go ahead.

I wouldn't let a Russian built plane anywhere near an ash cloud. Their crap barely gets off the ground on a good day.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:32 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Not sure *really* what happens, in the engines, but what I do know is that the engines have a vast amount of sensors. When the ash gets into the engines, the ash melts and covers the sensors, making the engine think something is wrong, and thus shuts off, or does something else scary.

The KLM flight, a long time ago had a similar problem, and they were able to start the engines after falling a long time. So, IF they fly at extreme altitudes, and they get into a problem, they may be able to use the air below them to start their engines again.

Would I fly one of those planes in that ash ?? As a pilot, I would not. But that is me.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:59 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Nothing like getting caught with all you eggs in one basket to wake you up to the fact that you're screwed!

Maybe now people will slow down enough to buy passage on a luxury liner once again to be able to travel at will not depending on air travel anymore. This change needs to happen anyway with peak oil causing fuel prices to skyrocket (IF they can even buy air craft fuel) in the future.

Also remember as the worlds oil supply dwindles to zero ONLY military aircraft will be allowed fuel to fly so the world better get busy building ships again!

Old 04-18-2010, 04:22 PM

128 posts, read 403,180 times
If the planes could fly through the ash without risk why did they stop flights for four days and cause all that problem. (NEVER MIND!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel