U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 11:09 AM

5,716 posts, read 8,622,680 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of people posting about traveling solo and how it's no big deal etc. However I have noticed that during my travels when I signed up for tours I have never seen any other solo traveler besides myself. Infact there is only 1 time I saw this girl in Tokyo on a Sumida river cruise, she was by herself but other than that I have never seen it...all the other parties were in groups of 2 or more.

I am also seeing how solo travel is downright difficult and frustrating. I am currently trying to see if I can book a solo safari with a guide for Kruger National Park in South Africa. All the tours require a minimum of 2 people and if you sign up by yourself it's double the cost which becomes really expensive to do anything at all!

I know there are destinations that lend themselves more easily to solo travelers but that is quite limiting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 11:22 AM

32,140 posts, read 33,051,397 times
I think most solo travelers do it on their own without using guided tours.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think most solo travelers do it on their own without using guided tours.
sometimes it is not possible to do that if you have limited time, especially in a country with poor infrastructure

Old 04-18-2010, 01:13 PM

32,140 posts, read 33,051,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
sometimes it is not possible to do that if you have limited time, especially in a country with poor infrastructure
If you have the money then you hire a local personal guide in a country with poor infrastructure. I guess such places are not set up for the "financially poor" solo travelers.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
If you have the money then you hire a local personal guide in a country with poor infrastructure. I guess such places are not set up for the "financially poor" solo travelers.
LOL, I don't think "financially poor" applies to anyone who can even afford to travel to these places...traveling by itself is expensive, the added burden of the single supplement just takes it over the top making it unfeasible. An extra $1,000 just for touring is a big deal when you're already dropping $5k on a 3wk trip.

Financially poor people stay at home and watch the Travel channel, they don't travel.

But my argument is that perhaps when people say they don't have anyone to travel with it is a valid argument as bearing the costs solo can be a huge problem.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:27 PM

476 posts, read 1,016,189 times
I travel solo frequently. The freedom of solo travel normally doesn't indicate the type of personality that would take days-long group tours. The most I've ever done is a day long cultural tour. I agree, it's tricky to travel alone when you're in a developing nation.
I recommend booking the safari with another solo traveler. All you have to do is sleep in the same double-bed quarters, as you would in any hostel. If you hit it off, great. If you don't, there's no commitment beyond reducing the cost and avoiding the single supplement. Try travbuddy, couchsurfing, and travel chums to search for others headed to your destination in your time frame.
One other note, sometimes you can get a better rate if you allow a local to price-hunt and shop. Of course, locals are charged much less for safari in general and have to show a national ID before entering parks. Still, you'd be amazed the at up-charge just from inquiring via the US, versus a phone call in-country. If you befriend a local with a solid reputation on couchsurfing, maybe they can help you obtain some reasonable quotes.

You just have to be more creative outside Europe and the Americas and when you want to do something quite touristy, like safari. I agree that the single supplements can often be outrageous and cost prohibitive.

Last edited by heavyweight; 04-18-2010 at 02:46 PM..

Old 04-18-2010, 05:12 PM

202 posts, read 405,159 times
I would solo travel more if they didn't charge folks an arm and a leg more for some things (hotel, the cost of the trip,etc) just because you are traveling solo. I REALLY hate that.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:21 AM

8,820 posts, read 6,372,374 times
I've always travelled solo and don't join tourgroups, I have my own route and create my own trip, I may talk to locals or fellow travellers a bit here and there but try to follow my own itinerary...the big downfall is of course the added cost for singles...but I'm used to that by now and would not give up travelling alone....If I run into someone that I really hit it off with and we're on the way to the same place or event, I may join the person for a while but sooner or later I'll want to resume travelling solo..

Old 04-19-2010, 02:55 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,947,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
solo safari with a guide for Kruger National Park in South Africa. All the tours require a minimum of 2 people and if you sign up by yourself it's double the cost which becomes really expensive to do anything at all!!
I have a friend who was able to book a solo safari in Namibia.
She also worked something out for Mongolia.
She is not wealthy at all, but these things to take a bit of planning and patience.

I agree that it is worth it sometimes pair up with someone else for a little while, and later go your separate ways. There have been a couple times when this has been mutually beneficial.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:03 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,662,332 times
I agree with solo travel. I haven't done a safari so can not comment on. But through the internet or meeting locals you have a much better chance at creating an experience with someone else to cut the costs down. I will travel with my ex from 20 years ago to do such a thing. We are friends but ...no. But can travel together. You can also join a shared tour - such as fishing boats with others. Maybe not the entire experience you want but it will cut down the costs. As you travel you should be able to find people who will cut down the costs to go in on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel