U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 08:20 AM

2,212 posts, read 4,605,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
I guess the same thing could be said about visiting South Beach in Miami.
I suppose, though if I refer to the list I would consider "kid friendly", South Beach would not be a place to take my kids. People go to South Beach for the nightlife and while the beaches are pretty, there are fantastic beaches all over Florida.

The reality of the Keys is that there are lots of things for adults to do and probably older kids too. The things that I think make Key West interesting is not necessarily the things my kids will enjoy. My daughter remembers very little about Key West...she remembers chasing the roosters, climbing the lighthouse, seeing the guy walk a tightrope when we were waiting for the sunset, and the Dry Tortugas. The rest of the vacation she remembers is the stuff we did outside of Key West...the Dolphin Research Center, looking for the deer, the glass bottom boat tours, kayaking, Theater of the Sea, etc. Key West, if you've got kids, should just be treated as another destination while you're vacationing in the Keys. From what I gathered, Key West is the most expensive place to stay in the Keys as well...so it makes sense to stay somewhere else and then drive up and down highway 1.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 11:28 AM

14,874 posts, read 37,245,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
My daughter remembers very little about Key West...she remembers chasing the roosters, climbing the lighthouse, seeing the guy walk a tightrope when we were waiting for the sunset, and the Dry Tortugas. The rest of the vacation she remembers is the stuff we did outside of Key West...the Dolphin Research Center, looking for the deer, the glass bottom boat tours, kayaking, Theater of the Sea, etc. Key West, if you've got kids, should just be treated as another destination while you're vacationing in the Keys. From what I gathered, Key West is the most expensive place to stay in the Keys as well...so it makes sense to stay somewhere else and then drive up and down highway 1.

And mine wants to go back to Sloppy Joe's. LOL!!! We ate lunch there so it was TAME during that time.

I'd take the kids as I have taken my 2 girls to Key West. We stayed over on Duck Key at Hawks Cay......... GREAT place to stay for the family and plenty for the kids to do. Mine even volunteered to do the kids camp one day so we signed them up and then we hung out at the adult pool. Hawk's Cay is a really nice place to stay.

We drove down to Key West for a day and did the train tour. Walked Duval St and ate at Sloppy Joe's and then Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville. Saw the sunset then headed back to the car and went back to Duck Key. We did most of the same things that the3D's lists. Hemingway's House, the Lighthouse, etc. I mean, if your not taking the kids during Halloween and your not going to be out partying up and down Duval with them then it is going to be fine.

There ARE "adults only" hotels and inns in Key West and most of them cater to those that are in the "alternate lifestlye". I believe there is one that is solely for females. We did not see any more gays or "adult only" things going on than we did in South Beach during the day time.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:24 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,605,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
There ARE "adults only" hotels and inns in Key West and most of them cater to those that are in the "alternate lifestlye". I believe there is one that is solely for females. We did not see any more gays or "adult only" things going on than we did in South Beach during the day time.
I think the OP said that the hotel they were interested in was labeled "Adults Only" and I think we can all agree that if it's labeled that way, I'd take their word for it.

Key West in the daytime is fine for kids. We didn't eat at Sloppy Joes because when we were there, they had a water leak and the place was closed while they fixed the flooring and plumbing. I did get a photo of all of us in front of it, though.

I just figure that when we mention Key West, my 7-year-old says, "Oh...the place with the roosters?" $250 a night so that my daughter can chase roosters!

Old 06-13-2010, 03:57 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,196,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
I heard also the Key West was a heavily Gay hangout.
Spent several days there this past week and would agree - the area has a large gay influence. Gay pride rainbows everywhere - even on the landfill this past week (guess there was a gay conference going on in the area).

Old 06-13-2010, 04:23 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,220,997 times
I hated Key West as a kid and I'm still not a fan. There are a lot of trannies down there that like to say things to you as you walk by also. Not saying its a problem you will face down there, it can just be...weird. I do have to admit , some of the views are pretty dang cool of the clear blue water, but you can see that in Miami also. In my opinion, Key West trips bring a lot more dissapointment than they do fufilled expectations.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:30 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,196,040 times
I wasn't impressed w/ Key West during my visit. Lots of trashy residential areas, very poor beaches - just a little "atmosphere" on Duval St. If not for the Hemingway history, too much hype. There are much better places to visit in FLA/USA, imo.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:54 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,039,109 times
I LOVED Key West, recognizing it for the tourist location that it is. We went tarpon fishing, Hemingway's, Mel Fisher's Museum, train tour, Ghost tour, Sunset sailing cruise, pre-sunset waterfront activities, ferry to Fort Jefferson for snorkeling, shopping, Southernmost Point of US, lots of great restaurants, lots of great photo ops (got my picture taken with Cap'n Tony) and did a little beaching and LOTS of people-watching from the shade or balconey with a drink in hand.
No, the beaches are not that great, but we like to stay active. Yes, it was expensive as all touristy areas are. But we expected it and had a great time.
Not a place I would recommend for small children. Teenagers maybe.
Hated Margaritaville. Worst drink and key lime pie I had all week.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:13 AM

188 posts, read 827,446 times
I would not take my children there to vacation, there are better places up and down the coast they can enjoy more with people their own age. Key West is mostly for partying adults and at one time was considered the Gay Vacation capital of the U.S. A lot of them use to go to Key West for thier honeymoons.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:13 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,408,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peperosso View Post
I would not take my children there to vacation, there are better places up and down the coast they can enjoy more with people their own age. Key West is mostly for partying adults and at one time was considered the Gay Vacation capital of the U.S. A lot of them use to go to Key West for thier honeymoons.
You can say that Hawaii is considered the "straight" honeymoon/vacation spot of the US. People bring their kids there all the time, without thinking about it. Same goes for Cancun, tons and tons of families with young kids, even though it's a huge party spot with as much to do for kids as Key West. Why does it matter what sexual orientation the vacationers are?

Last edited by MAK802; 06-16-2010 at 11:27 AM..

Old 06-20-2010, 12:58 PM

5,417 posts, read 5,398,904 times
We have been going down to Key West twice a year for 19 yrs. and absolutely love it. It is just my husband and myself and the Inn that we stay in has our own private pool in total seclusion. KW is as cheap or expensive as you make it, we have always allotted $100 a day for everything (hotel & car already paid for) and we make it work, we don't go to the tourist traps & eat where the locals do. I would bring older kids there, there really isn't anything for the smaller children to do but swim in the Hotel pools. KW has only man made beaches. The first week of Sept. is usually Woman's Fest, where the gay women from all over the world come to KW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or