U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 09:44 AM

316 posts, read 712,179 times

Advertisements

We are planning a family trip to the Florida Keys. We were about to reserve a room when the inn told us that they are "adults only" and that "most inns in Key West are adults only". Is Key West not a family destination?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 09:46 AM

897 posts, read 1,456,917 times
I heard also the Key West was a heavily Gay hangout.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:51 AM

12,265 posts, read 18,393,933 times
Plenty of things for families to do in Key West, but yes be forewarned it is a heavy gay hangout.
I would not agree that most inns are "adults only". If they label themselves as "adults only" I would tend to believe it is a hotel that caters to gay clientele.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:52 AM

1,802 posts, read 7,292,962 times
I've been to Key West several times and I would not really categorize it as a family destination. There are attractions that would be suitable for children but IMO the real allure is adult oriented (I'm not talking X-rated, although at one of the places we stayed there was a lot of nudity at the pool). I'm not surprised that most inns and B&B's there would be adult only as most of the tourists probably do not want children around.

However, I would imagine that you would be able to find accomodations for your family at the larger hotels there.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:01 AM

95 posts, read 357,456 times
I have been to Key West a few times with my SO and I wouldn't bring my kids to vacation there. I'm not afraid of my children being around gays, but I just don't think there would be much to do in Key West with kids.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:03 AM

12,054 posts, read 20,249,072 times
While Key West is adult oriented, it is a great town to ride bikes and rentals at one time were quite inexpensive. There's quite a bit of sightseeing that should keep the kids entertained for one day. There's the Hemingway House, Winter White House, Southernmost Point, water sports, and the evening haunted tours. There is also a movie theater that at one time was really inexpensive and showed current movies. Your children will see no more nudity than they would in a Caribbean resort. It is a largely gay community but I would be more concerned about the drinking on Duval and the behavior that often goes along with that than kids seeing openly gay couples.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:08 AM

1,802 posts, read 7,292,962 times
I don't want to discourage you from going to Key West - in fact, it's one of my favorite vacation destinations. But depending on how old your kids are and how long you plan to stay, you may want to find a place in Marathon or thereabouts and then just drive down to Key West for a day trip (about a 50 mile drive). Marathon is much more family-oriented.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:13 AM

9,028 posts, read 16,421,659 times
I have relatives in Marathon and we would stay with them growing up - i absolutely loved my trips to key west as a kid, but i'm sure a lot has changed

there are things to see/do though - from all the little museums, houses, walkable areas, sunset, etc

Old 04-21-2010, 10:25 AM

6,162 posts, read 11,238,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I have relatives in Marathon and we would stay with them growing up - i absolutely loved my trips to key west as a kid, but i'm sure a lot has changed

there are things to see/do though - from all the little museums, houses, walkable areas, sunset, etc
While I'm sure all those things are indeed nice in Key West, I would suggest that most kids aren't going to find them sufficiently fun & exciting for a vacation. I say that from the point of view of a parent with two kids.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:39 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,408,296 times
Key West is more of a party destination, gay or straight. Not sure why everyone keeps mentioning that it's adults only because there are gay people there? It's like bringing your kids to Cancun during Spring Break, just not a thing to do! The activities are more geared for adults and they are known for their night life. Has nothing to do with sexual orientation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or