U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 05:52 PM

10 posts, read 4,369 times

Advertisements

No big cities in the south pacific
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 05:58 PM

645 posts, read 1,288,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Better?

(100%, pure, unadultered, bias opinion) Yes!, Hawaii is better than any other State in the US.

(Honest, putting aside my bias opinion) All places are different and better is in the eyes of the beholder.

I guess it all depends what your looking for in Hawaii? The island cateres to the tourist, so you can get as much or as little of Hawaii as you want. If you want it to be like Miami, you can get that. If you want it to be like Tahiti, you can get that, and if you want it to be like Japan, that's available for you also.

And, unfortunetely, if you want it to be like anyother city USA, just go where all the mainlanders who moved there are trying to recreate where they moved from. You can find every major city influance on Hawaii. Funny how many move to Hawaii to escape where they moved from and the first they they do is try and recreate what they are escaping from.

But Hawaii is less like the US than anyother state, so keep that in mind. Hawaii is to the US, what Burmuda is to England. So, what are you hoping to get from Hawaii?

All of that in one trip is what I'm hoping to get from Hawaii
I want to lay out on the beach, jet skiing, maybe go to a bar or lounge, shopping, sightseeing ect.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcow1 View Post

No big cities in the south pacific
wow beautiful. Can you post more?

Old 04-23-2010, 06:00 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,853,905 times
Papeete aint exactly Mayberry. It's not Bora Bora, but it's still a decent size city.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:11 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,853,905 times
Well Oahu (Wwaikiki - Honolulu) is probably the most tourist oriented place all wrapped up in one place. There are major tourist attractions from Pearl Harbor to Turtle Bay (film site for Lost). You have Chinatown to the North Shore, Diamonhead and the Polynesiand Cultural center. And you have beaches. There are old style pinapple plantation tours. Just about everything is availble on Oahu.

What you will not find on Oahu are active lava flows. Those are on Hawaii (Big Island) and Madam Pele' isn't always putting on a show.

I would say if you have to limit yourself to one island due to time and budget, Oahu is probably the best choice. Now if you want to stop in on Oprah, you need to go to Maui and if you want to get down with a sing along with Cher, you need to go to the Big Island. And if you want to travel to Jurrasic park, Kauai is for you. and if you want to see a gem before development strikes AGAIN, visit Lanai. BUT, if you need some real old world hawaii, wher even hawaiians consider too layed back and slow, Molokai is the place.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:20 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,600,849 times
Kauai is the bomb! I stayed at my aunt/uncle's condo in Princeville a couple yrs ago. I would go more often if the airfare wasnt so expensive.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Well Oahu (Wwaikiki - Honolulu) is probably the most tourist oriented place all wrapped up in one place. There are major tourist attractions from Pearl Harbor to Turtle Bay (film site for Lost). You have Chinatown to the North Shore, Diamonhead and the Polynesiand Cultural center. And you have beaches. There are old style pinapple plantation tours. Just about everything is availble on Oahu.

What you will not find on Oahu are active lava flows. Those are on Hawaii (Big Island) and Madam Pele' isn't always putting on a show.

I would say if you have to limit yourself to one island due to time and budget, Oahu is probably the best choice. Now if you want to stop in on Oprah, you need to go to Maui and if you want to get down with a sing along with Cher, you need to go to the Big Island. And if you want to travel to Jurrasic park, Kauai is for you. and if you want to see a gem before development strikes AGAIN, visit Lanai. BUT, if you need some real old world hawaii, wher even hawaiians consider too layed back and slow, Molokai is the place.
This one!! lol

Old 04-24-2010, 11:40 AM

9,672 posts, read 18,860,204 times
If you are going to Oahu (the island Honolulu is part of), many folks like to stay in Waikiki. Waikiki is almost entirely hotels, it is the part of the island almost entirely given over to tourism. Which can be a lot of fun but it is also a lot of fantasy since the rest of Hawaii isn't like Waikiki at all.

If you have enough money for it, the Hilton Hawaiian Village is a lovely hotel/resort complex. There is also the Hale Kulani if you have even more money. Both of those hotels are directly on Waikiki beach, but any hotel in Waikiki is within walking distance to the beach.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:31 AM

1,041 posts, read 4,035,268 times
I live in Hawaii and have visited most of the islands. You can view more Hawaii pics on the Hawaii forum- there is a photo sticky.

Hawaii is a really great place with so much to offer. I really recommend people to do research before you visit as the islands are so unique and you may prefer one over the other. I personally love Kauai and Oahu and don't particularly care of Maui or the Big Island. I'm trying to get my butt over to Molokai, but timing hasn't worked.

Also, there is a preconception that Hawaii is so expensive. Times have really brought down prices throughout the islands, but even before the economic downturn, affordable accommodations existed. You don't need to go to Alan Wong's or Chef Mavro's for dinner- you can get some local food for cheap.

Hawaii is really an amazing place and I cannot say enough good things about the area. Come visit and find out for yourself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel