U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 07:26 AM

4,925 posts, read 9,800,802 times

Advertisements

My apologies if this is a repeat thread...as heavily posted as CD is, it probably is.

I see lots of posts about problems, complaints, and even one about the most disappointing place you've visited...not knocking them, but want to see something positive about places.

What place have you been to that most pleasantly surprised you? Was it a place that you weren't expecting to like? Was it a place in which people were exceptionally friendly, went out of their way for you? Was it a place that nicely contradicted a preconceived notion?

A place that stands out to me was ...Buffalo, NY. Yup. Really.

I know it's rust belt, gets knocked for harsh winters, but I've had to go there several times on business, and my experience has been without exception very nice. It's been the people I've had to deal with that made it so. From the waiters at the restaurants, to the hotel staff, to just people you meet around the city, they without exception have been pleasant, courteous and helpful. Not that I was expecting otherwise, but the place has stood out for me in my travels in that part of the country.

I have actually had many more pleasant surprises traveling than unpleasant, disappointing ones. Maybe you see what you look for..

What about you? Good places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 07:45 AM

15,891 posts, read 15,335,730 times
Zacatecas, Mexico.

It's a town in the hills and is absolutely gorgeous. I feel at one with the world when I'm there.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:06 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,828,990 times
Scotland. My mum and I went on a roadtrip a few years ago and we were a bit concerned about encountering the stereotypical "dour Scot" and almost everyone was really nice! Especially in the smaller towns and villages that we visited and stayed in. (It was the receptionists in our hotels in Glasgow and Edinburgh who were the least helpful and totally uninterested in any questions or problems we might have had.)

Old 04-23-2010, 09:48 AM

502 posts, read 1,569,092 times
i think there was another thread recently, but new start is good.

We recently did playa del carmon in mexico in an all inclusive. It was WONDERFUL. I had heard stories of how great there are and such, but I am not a beach person and was concerned we would be bored. Not at all. Wonderful resort, clean, very good food and beverages, nice relaxing pool/beach and nice day trips into mexico. It was perfect.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:15 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,444,174 times
Paris. We heard horror stories from every single person we knew that's been there. They claimed that the French are rude, yet we found that to be totally untrue. Really, the only reason we started our trip with Paris was because the airfare was cheapest and really had no plans in staying long. Now, we can't wait to go back. They were some of the friendliest people we have encountered on our travels. The Italians on the other hand...

Old 04-23-2010, 10:20 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,968,022 times
Chilaili I loved Scotland and wish I could go back some day.

I haven't had too many surprises, but one place that always stands out in my mind is Hawaii. I've posted about it in this type of thread before.
It really surpassed my expectations in just about every way.

I had expected to enjoy the beach but thought our trip might have a bit of a synthetic, pre-packaged aspect. I enjoyed the beach all right, but it was so much more than that.

We visited Oahu, the Big Island, and Kauai, and I can't think of a single thing we saw or did that wasn't wonderful, interesting or even astounding.
From seeing John Keawe perform, to the helicopter swim trip, to hiking Volcanoes National Park, it was a memorable vacation.
I loved the food there, too, as well as all of the Hawaiiana.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:36 AM

2,550 posts, read 3,982,316 times
Most surprisingly pleasant place I've been had to be Florida. Yeah, I know, it's ordinary to most. But I live in Arizona and we don't have no beach. And I'm more of a beach person. So, I love it the best. I love Ft. Lauderdale and The Keys. People were so nice and don't judge you (even if you're wearing a 1-piece). Those were the most pleasant in Florida I've been to.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:41 AM

8,940 posts, read 13,719,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
The Italians on the other hand...
I had no problems in Italy.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:46 AM

13,108 posts, read 24,942,516 times
Bath England..I thought it was just going to be this little ho-hum town....very interesting town

Old 04-23-2010, 10:58 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,444,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I had no problems in Italy.
I had no problems either. I love Italy, but the people there are another story. By far the rudest we've encountered on all our travels, which was quite surprising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or