U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 11:47 AM

964 posts, read 2,813,134 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are going on a 4-day vacation from NYC to either 3 of the below destinations. We are 29 and 30 and want to pick a place that has more of our age(newly married) demographic visitor-wise. Money isn't an object between these 3 destinations.

For around Jul 15th, what would you all recommend? Also, put in consideration of the rainy season and hurricane season. The main concern is which one would have the least amount of rain around that date. We of course did our research but would like to ask travelers who have actually travelled to those destinations around that time period.

Cozumel, Mexico(Gulf of Mexico/Carribean):Cheapest trip, it seems fun and is slightly rainy but not constant during that part.

Aruba(Carribean): Slightly more expensive, slightly more rainfall but we don't know anything about it.

St. Thomas(Carribean): The most expensive, we assume that it was a much older demographic, that's about all we know.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 01:29 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,462,660 times
I'm slightly younger than you guys (also a newlywed!) and have been to Cozumel and Aruba. We flew from JFK when we used to live on the East coast.

Aruba was stunning, but I would highly recommend Curacao, its neighbor, instead. Cozumel is nice, but I'd do that on a longer trip. Curacao is perfect for a long weekend. And if you're open to other Caribbean destinations, go to Travelocity and put in your departing airport, choose the Caribbean and the dates you want to travel in July. They will generate the cheapest packages for many destinations. And also check out Travelzoo. They post some of the most amazing deals.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:37 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,324,979 times
You might want to consider St. Maarten/St. Martin. Also in the Caribbean, it has both the Dutch and French cultures and 37 beaches, including clothing optional. There is nightlife for your age group, it's easy driving, and the food is spectacular. Direct flights from NYC are usually a little less than 4 hours. Shopping is great and the people are friendly.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:02 AM

12,438 posts, read 18,525,858 times
These are tropical islands, and it's the rainy season, you will get rain likely every day for an hour or two, then the sun comes out (except for Aruba which I think is more of a desert island type climate), no big deal. There is a lull in the huricane season in July, so I wouldn't worry about it, and they pick up again in August.

More of concern is heat and sun and humidity, and, growing up in Florida, I've seen enough pasty white New Yorkers pass out in the humidity of a florida summer than I can mention, or end up the color of a lobster after one day of "tanning".

Old 04-26-2010, 09:31 AM

50 posts, read 539,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
Cozumel, Mexico(Gulf of Mexico/Carribean):Cheapest trip, it seems fun and is slightly rainy but not constant during that part.
Cozumel will most likely be HOT AND HUMID! It's a wonderful island with lots to do. Scuba Divers love Cozumel because of the awesome diving....snorkelers can also have a great time snorkeling the many reefs here. You can also take a day-trip over to Playa del Carmen and spend some time on the famous 5th Ave. I've seen every age group represented here...from the young, to the middle-aged, to the families, to the seniors who still know how to party . Think about buying Trip Insurance, just in case...

Quote:
Aruba(Carribean): Slightly more expensive, slightly more rainfall but we don't know anything about it.
Aruba....been there, done that, not going back. Technically...Aruba is outside of the Hurricane Belt, which means this island has the LEAST chance of getting hit by a Hurricane. However... i felt like my husband and I were BY FAR the youngest tourists on the island (we were 28 at the time). LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of Seniors / Retirees everywhere. Although the beaches were beautiful...the rest of the island is a desert, similar to what you'll find outside of the city here in Phoenix. There are a ton of restaurants...many of them pretty expensive. My opinion....I'd skip Aruba, save that for a trip later.

Quote:
St. Thomas(Carribean): The most expensive, we assume that it was a much older demographic, that's about all we know.
Sorry...Haven't been, so no comment.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:00 AM

9,035 posts, read 16,493,384 times
I'm not a big fan of cozumel - we day tripped there on our honeymoon - amazing water and if you dive/snorkel that could really factor in (as it's supposed to be amazing there, and judging by the water I can really see that .... but it's not something I do a ton of)

It was also really kind of beat up - mainly due to a hurricane in mid july (hurricane emily in mid july 2005) - we got there right after it

I haven't been to aruba so I cannot comment

I liked St. Thomas - a wide variety of things to do, great beaches ... you'll still get the touristy shopping stuff that you'll find in cozumel, but also places to escape

also St. John is a really easy place to go to for a day and get away from it all

Old 04-26-2010, 08:17 PM

Thanks for your replies, keep them rolling please!
Thx

Old 05-11-2010, 06:51 PM

So, we decided on Playa del Carmen in Mexico, none of the above.

Good deal, great reviews.

Valentin Imperial Maya Resort – Playa Del Carmen/Riviera Maya - Valentin Maya

Old 05-12-2010, 02:57 PM

8,668 posts, read 20,365,248 times
I know nothing of any of them, but my chiropractor loves Cozumel. He could probably afford to go anywhere, but he seems to always choose Cozumel. He is into the snorkeling aspect though.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:36 PM

5,204 posts, read 13,428,938 times
Actually, Aruba is a true Desert Island...it's barely ever gets rain...there are no mountains to form rainclouds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel