Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:24 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times

Advertisements

No, crewing a yacht is not easy or for anyone with a set itinerary. You'd need to get some sailing experience and recommendations from other captains first. It is, however, one of the few ways you can legally work outside the United States and still travel.

It'll be interesting to see if your attitude survives your trip abroad. Especially if you, as you are proposing, work illegally in your host countries. You cannot work on a tourist visa or visa waiver, so you'll be breaking immigration law in other countries.

If you want to work legally, you'll need to secure an invitation from an employer in the countries you want to visit. Then, you'll need to pay 100+ USD for a working visa from that country's embassy in the United States. The visa will specify your allowed length of stay and whether you can leave the country and return on the same visa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 09:27 PM

604 posts, read 750,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkShiner View Post
Hello. This is just somewhat of a rough layout.

Being American I was thinking of starting my trip in Hawaii, maybe work there and save up some money for the trip to come. Once I feel I have seen enough of Hawaii/saved up enough money, I would like to make my way to French Polynesia. Do Tahiti and Bora Bora and the Society Islands, and the many other islands within the territory. After that, I would make my way to the Cook Islands for a few nights or so. Then from there, the Samoan Islands. I would start at American Samoa and then head to Independent Samoa, maybe even stay for a month or two, even more (maybe work?). From there I would head to Fiji, stopping first at the Wallis and Futuna Islands (if possible). Maybe once I get to Fiji, I would spend about a month or so there as well. I would then head to Vanuatu Island for a little bit then south to New Caledonia as well, before making a big trip to New Zealand, where I would definitely like to work and stay for a few months, travel around the country, and regroup my expenses. From there, I would then head to Australia and stay there for a few months as well before, possibly work, before heading back to the United States. I would like to do this for maybe over the time span of a year or so.

Of course, a lot depends on if some of my plans are possible, where visas and money is concerned, especially.

Anyways has anybody done anything similar? Can anyone give any advice on the mentioned areas/nations (visa info)? Any backpacking advice? Any tips for cheap travel in between islands? Saving money? Any comments? Any books/websites/movies to help me with planning such a trip? Any advice or response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Sounds like a lot of fun, but make sure you learn about local cultures before you go to the islands, so you don't offend anyone...

Good luck! and hope you have a good time, post when you get back, or to a computer, blog maybe?

Old 04-28-2010, 02:35 PM

361 posts, read 1,087,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
No, crewing a yacht is not easy or for anyone with a set itinerary. You'd need to get some sailing experience and recommendations from other captains first. It is, however, one of the few ways you can legally work outside the United States and still travel.

It'll be interesting to see if your attitude survives your trip abroad. Especially if you, as you are proposing, work illegally in your host countries. You cannot work on a tourist visa or visa waiver, so you'll be breaking immigration law in other countries.

If you want to work legally, you'll need to secure an invitation from an employer in the countries you want to visit. Then, you'll need to pay 100+ USD for a working visa from that country's embassy in the United States. The visa will specify your allowed length of stay and whether you can leave the country and return on the same visa.
ill try n do what i can to work legally. most likely i wouldnt even try to work on any of the small oceanic islands, just use the money ive saved from working in hawaii/on the mainland. i would like to work in NZ,OZ an maybe even on American Samoa, if possible, based on whether i can secure the right visas ahead of time. like i said, i havent mapped out any of this (yet), and as far as we know, anything ive mentioned could just be a figment of my imagination. but if the trip happens, everything, tavels/visas/sleep spots, will be planned ahead of time, so my attitude is not just going to "die" halfway through the trip. It's not like I'm just gonna shrug my shoulders one day n hop aboard a plane to Bora Bora n just "wing it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
Sounds like a lot of fun, but make sure you learn about local cultures before you go to the islands, so you don't offend anyone...

Good luck! and hope you have a good time, post when you get back, or to a computer, blog maybe?
thanks alot, appreciate it. the main point of trip is to learn about polynesian culture, as i have always been fascinated by the warrior culture. ill definitely be sure to read up before i begin my travels. the only problem is the lack of polynesian culture/info books here on the mainland US. but the hunt continues lol. thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Well, I'm not sure how you'll pay for the rest of your airfare but there's an idea for your free trip home. God knows we give enough free rides home to Mexicans and other illegals.
LOL, touche. u speak the truth, don't even get me started on my tangent about illegals and the racist La Raza mexican KKK.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:39 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
Your best bet for legal work would be to try teaching English abroad. In any case, you'll need to hunt down a company to agree hire you now and send you a letter stating as much, from home, before you travel. Once you're in the country on a tourist visa, it's too late. You can't convert from such a visa or visa waiver to a work permit without first leaving the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel