U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 01:39 PM

361 posts, read 957,463 times

Advertisements

Hello. This is just somewhat of a rough layout.

Being American I was thinking of starting my trip in Hawaii, maybe work there and save up some money for the trip to come. Once I feel I have seen enough of Hawaii/saved up enough money, I would like to make my way to French Polynesia. Do Tahiti and Bora Bora and the Society Islands, and the many other islands within the territory. After that, I would make my way to the Cook Islands for a few nights or so. Then from there, the Samoan Islands. I would start at American Samoa and then head to Independent Samoa, maybe even stay for a month or two, even more (maybe work?). From there I would head to Fiji, stopping first at the Wallis and Futuna Islands (if possible). Maybe once I get to Fiji, I would spend about a month or so there as well. I would then head to Vanuatu Island for a little bit then south to New Caledonia as well, before making a big trip to New Zealand, where I would definitely like to work and stay for a few months, travel around the country, and regroup my expenses. From there, I would then head to Australia and stay there for a few months as well before, possibly work, before heading back to the United States. I would like to do this for maybe over the time span of a year or so.

Of course, a lot depends on if some of my plans are possible, where visas and money is concerned, especially.

Anyways has anybody done anything similar? Can anyone give any advice on the mentioned areas/nations (visa info)? Any backpacking advice? Any tips for cheap travel in between islands? Saving money? Any comments? Any books/websites/movies to help me with planning such a trip? Any advice or response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 08:48 PM

3,644 posts, read 5,560,200 times
Sounds like a great trip but won't the air fare be really expensive between all of those islands? I mean even flying between mid-sized or small cities in the US is brutal in terms of price.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:30 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,657,605 times
In todays times not sure where you are going to recoup on the expenses in that short of time period either. Sounds like a wonderful great plan. I would think it would take much more than a year if you don't have your expenses covered. I just returned from the Big Island for the winter and it was so strange to see a Help Wanted sign back here in the mainland. I am talking gas stations and dishwashers type of jobs you need to know somebody to get one of those. Haven't seen Help wanted in months. As far as the other islands your not talking even minimum wage if you do find work. Good luck. Save up before you go would be my thought.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:16 AM

8,034 posts, read 2,818,267 times
I think you might find it difficult (and very expensive) to get from island to island by conventional commercial means (air and/or sea). You might want to consider going to Australia immediately (or after Hawaii) and then to New Zealand. If you're lucky and have sailing experience (or can cook well or otherwise make yourself very useful on a yacht), you might pick up a crewing job on a yacht going from Auckland to one or more of the islands you mentioned. They don't call Auckland the City of Sails for nothing... and I have several NZ friends who have sailed up to the islands at various times.

It's possible this opportunity could also be found in Australia (from the east coast), but I'd say it's more likely out of Auckland.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the responses everybody. I don't think I would fly between islands, but would possibly somehow like to make my way aboard a boat, whether by paying for a (hopefully cheaper than an airplane) ticket, or working on board the boat somehow, something similar to what kobber suggested. the idea of starting in Oz or NZ is definitely something I will take to heart, as those were some good points.

The trip is not anything too serious yet, just an idea I've been playing with in my head. I would like to save up a lot of money before even the flight to Hawaii, and once I would get there I was hoping to maybe get a job and a cheap apartment or hostel room in Honolulu and save up even more money before I begin the actual trip (fingers crossed the economy will be better by then). If I were to do the trip like the way I mentioned, the only time I would like to fly would be between the US mainland and Hawaii, and the oceanic islands to NZ, and possibly from NZ to Oz depending on the price of boats/ferries that run between the two countries (if they even do). Only 3 times, and do the rest by boat. I would not mind boats at all if they are cheaper, and it might even make the trip more adventurous and give me the ability to meet new people.

But I don't know, like I said, this is just a very rough layout. Only started thinking about it two weeks ago, and the trip probably wouldn't happen until a few years from now anyways.

Thanks again for the responses.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:35 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,657,605 times
WWOOF Association

Wwofing is another idea for cheap travel. You will meet many people wanting to backpack go the cheap way. You could start out in Hawaii or Austrialia and make the connections for adventure from there. Good luck.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:01 AM

3,080 posts, read 9,940,307 times
You could considering crewing up on yachts as a way to get around. You'd need some experience first, and you might not get to stay on your exact route, but I hear it's a good way to make money and see the world.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:27 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,853,905 times
Crewing is not as practical as some will let you belive. You have to hope you can get a position and where the ship goes is not up to you.

The practical way is air travel between the major island groups. Do you have the money for that?

You also have to realize that as much as the USA is calling for clampdowns on foreign workers in amaerica, so are everyone else. That means work papers will need to be secured. I just heard on Phillipne official say they are going to go after americans working illegally in the Phillipines. Tahiti did a crack down and kicked out 8 americans as undesirables who were workking illegally. Many places are soverign foreign countries and just because your an american does not mean these should treat you better than other tourist.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Crewing is not as practical as some will let you belive. You have to hope you can get a position and where the ship goes is not up to you.

The practical way is air travel between the major island groups. Do you have the money for that?

You also have to realize that as much as the USA is calling for clampdowns on foreign workers in amaerica, so are everyone else. That means work papers will need to be secured. I just heard on Phillipne official say they are going to go after americans working illegally in the Phillipines. Tahiti did a crack down and kicked out 8 americans as undesirables who were workking illegally. Many places are soverign foreign countries and just because your an american does not mean these should treat you better than other tourist.
Thanks for the responses again, everyone.

The only countries I would like to be working in are New Zealand, Australia, and possibly American Samoa (not including Hawaii, before I begin the trip). The rest I would like to be just skimming by on the money saved (which I know, is still gonna require a lot of money). I would try to secure all the necessary paperwork/visas in the above mentioned countries, and not become an illegal alien because I don't condone people that do that.

On a different note, I wish the USA actually was clamping down on foreign workers. So far, all I've seen is law SB 1070 (aimed at illegal aliens) signed into affect in Arizona, and already everyone is calling the law racist and backwards- including the president himself. If anything, while the entire world is getting rid of their (illegal) foreign workers, it seems the USA is welcoming them with open arms.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:39 PM

3,644 posts, read 5,560,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Tahiti did a crack down and kicked out 8 americans as undesirables who were workking illegally.
Well, I'm not sure how you'll pay for the rest of your airfare but there's an idea for your free trip home. God knows we give enough free rides home to Mexicans and other illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or