Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 07:04 PM

274 posts, read 859,010 times

Advertisements

Florence would be an excellent choice. Try to ride up to Fiesole. Florence has more art than you can see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 04:59 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,965,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Florence would be an excellent choice. Try to ride up to Fiesole. Florence has more art than you can see.
Indeed.
But if you want to go to the Uffizi, Bargello, Medici Chapels, Pitti Palace, Accademia, avoid the lines: Get your tickets ahead of time.
We didn't have to wait for the Uffizi (Renaissance) or the Accademia (Michelangelo's David) but it was years ago. and in September.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:47 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,669,982 times
It depends what you're interested in. I would argue that Venice would be the most expensive city to visit but you can see quite a bit in 3 days. Rome is massive and is quite interesting but as some have said, 3 days in Rome is like 3 minutes in NY. You just can't see it all.

Another city I'd recommend is Naples. It doesn't have all the tourist traps that Rome and Venice have but if you want a feel for the real Italy without the fluff, Naples is a great choice. Tuscany is gorgeous, dotted with little towns that also give a true sense of Italian culture. Milan is very modern, if you're into shopping it's a great place but wouldn't be my top choice.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:13 AM

89 posts, read 201,332 times
I think Venice would be most interesting for your children. Rome and Florence are wonderful places don't get me wrong. But the things to see there would probably be MORE appreciated by adults. Kids would get a kick out of just BEING in Venice because it is so different. You would be a little too late for Carnival, but you could probably find some cool face masks and face painters still around. Plus the water canals and little passages that open to big squares, or not, are really exciting to explore, even for adults!

Old 04-27-2010, 02:16 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,146,104 times
Quick!!!! What do you think when I say Italy??!?!?! Close your eyes and picture Italy. The Coliseum and St. Peters? The blue/green canals and a gondola? Vineyards and towns perched on top of a hill? The Mediterranean?

With 3 days, you'll have to pick one place and enjoy it. I lived in Firenze for a year and absolutely LOVE that city. I love Tuscany and if you ask me to describe what I think when you say "Italy", it's the rolling hills of Tuscany and Firenze. But, that's just me.

Italy is a beautiful country. You can easily spend 3 days in Venice or Florence or Rome, but you can also spend 3 days touring Tuscany (Sienna, San Gimignano and Montepulciano), the Cinque Terre or further south in Sicily.

Don't try and do more than one place in three days. As much as I love Italy, their train system isn't very efficient and a simple trip (if you're not on the fast train) between Venice and Rome can take nearly the entire day.

Also, a word of warning. I'm a BIG fan of Rome...I've been there numerous times and was lucky to take my husband back to see my favorite places. But Rome is not for the novice. It's overwhelming...loud, crowded, chaotic, etc. If you go to Rome, you will need to pay close attention to your belongings, have a good map and directions and comfortable walking shoes. Most of the tourist part of Rome is pretty compact but it's so easy to get lost in that city that you could literally waste hours trying to find your way.

Last edited by the3Ds; 04-27-2010 at 02:25 PM..

Old 04-27-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
it is VERY EXPENSIVE but the food is oh oh so wonderful.
Yep...and the best thing to do is find the tourist areas (you'll know because the menu is printed in different languages) and walk directly opposite. Take turns down winding streets and get as far from the tourist places as you can. THEN, start to look for a place to eat. I have had some of the best food in my life at places I can never find again. The best places are full of locals with tables so close together that you can barely squeeze by. Most of the menu is full of things you can understand and if that doesn't work, sign language and some basic Italian/English can get you far. And...give yourself at least an hour to eat (that's minimum). Italians don't hurry anything and your waiter won't be on top of you asking to take your order 2 minutes after you sit down. They expect you to eat for hours and so you should.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:39 PM

274 posts, read 859,010 times
3D, I am in total agreement with your sentiments about Florence, Firenze. I am planning on returning and hopefully spending at least 3 weeks there. I spent 4 days there and just absolutely fell in love with the place.

To the original poster, if you go to Venice the children would love it, especially the water buses. I stayed over on Lido island so we had to get the "bus" (boat) which is the cheap (appx. $7.00 per trip)
If you go here is the name of the restaurant I went to:

Aciugheta
Campo San Filippo @ Giacomo

You get there from St Marks Sq. from the right of the clock.

3d where did you live in Firenze ? I'm looking for apts so when I do return it will be cheaper than a hotel.
Did you ever go up to Orvieto? another cute and quaint place.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:47 PM

16,624 posts, read 17,380,671 times
The thread reminds me of the movie title 'If It's Tuesday It Must Be Belgium'.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
3D, I am in total agreement with your sentiments about Florence, Firenze. I am planning on returning and hopefully spending at least 3 weeks there. I spent 4 days there and just absolutely fell in love with the place.

To the original poster, if you go to Venice the children would love it, especially the water buses. I stayed over on Lido island so we had to get the "bus" (boat) which is the cheap (appx. $7.00 per trip)
If you go here is the name of the restaurant I went to:

Aciugheta
Campo San Filippo @ Giacomo

You get there from St Marks Sq. from the right of the clock.

3d where did you live in Firenze ? I'm looking for apts so when I do return it will be cheaper than a hotel.
Did you ever go up to Orvieto? another cute and quaint place.
Love Orvieto! I have tons of photos of that lovely town.

In Firenze, I was part of a study-abroad program in college for my junior year. We arrived in Firenze in September and went to school until May. The university I went to made a deal with two different pensione owners to provide housing for us and breakfast/lunch/dinner too. I lived in a pensione called Pensione Grazia/Giselda. It was run by this wonderful man named Giuseppe and his family and it was right across from the train station. I used to sit in my room and I could smell the aroma from the pizzeria right below us and I'd get gelato down the street. In the morning, I would get up for school, have breakfast and walk through Piazza Santa Maria Novella to get to school. We went to school in the Piazza Antinori which was just down the street from the Duomo. It was one of the best experiences of my life.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:32 AM

512 posts, read 1,431,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think Venice might be a nice city to do in 3 days.
as much as i LOVE venice, 3 days may be a bit too many..........maybe 2 full days MAX. in my opinion of course.

we spent 3 days in Rome and it was sufficient to see pretty much ALL the famous attractions....but given what the OP said, rome may not be for you (lines, etc.).

i'm sorry i can't narrow it down further for the OP but i'm stuck.....i'd do ROME personally but given what the OP has said (especially with a bunch of kids), i'd go to Venice like Chava61 said.

cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel