Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 03:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,538 times

Advertisements

I plan to travel to Italy in April 2011. I will probably have three days there. I will be travelling with my husband and three children (12, 12 and 16). We do not particularly want to spend hours waiting for the top tourist attractions, but would like to get a feel for the country, without having to spend a fortune. Any suggestions as to where we should go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 06:27 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
You don't do a country in 3 days, nor get the "feel for a country". Don't even try. You maybe do a city in 3 days - so pick one city - Rome, Florence, Venice, etc. The end.

I would pick Rome. April is not tourist season so don't worry about enourmous crowds at the sights. "Spending a fortune" is all relative. Europe is expense, Italy is relatively cheap compared to the rest of Europe. But if you sit down for a simple lunch in a cafe outside of the Vatican for a family of 5, you will be spending $100.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:05 AM

216 posts, read 668,175 times
I agree with Dd714. With only 3 days, you need to stay in one place.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:19 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
3 days in Italy is like having 3 minutes do to New York. I would chose Florence and spend the time actually enjoying the city and getting a feel for it . Nobody does a country in 3 days. No country is that boring . Italy is one of the most beautiful countries in Europe with some of the best sites , architecture,museums, cultural attractions and scenery. 3 days is a drop in an ocean of too much to see and do.

One of the major cities such as Florence, Rome or Venice would take weeks simply to get a real feel for it. Florence is smaller, more compact and utterly beautiful. Ideal for such a small amount of time. Don't even think about getting into the countryside on the amount of time you have.

Italy is one of the places which needs time, it is not designed to be rushed around at breakneck speed and is not a fairground attraction.

Pick one place, get a central hotel and walk everywhere. Sit in cafes, have a good lunch, watch people go past, talk to the locals and enjoy the smells, sights and the wonderful culture and architecture surrounding you. It is the best you can hope for in such a short period of time.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:23 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You don't do a country in 3 days, nor get the "feel for a country". Don't even try. You maybe do a city in 3 days - so pick one city - Rome, Florence, Venice, etc.
Agreed.
Quote:
I would pick Rome. April is not tourist season so don't worry about enourmous crowds at the sights. "Spending a fortune" is all relative. Europe is expense, Italy is relatively cheap compared to the rest of Europe. But if you sit down for a simple lunch in a cafe outside of the Vatican for a family of 5, you will be spending $100.
April is shoulder season--EXCEPT FOR EASTER.The OP mentions that she does not want to wait hours in touristy lines.
MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT THERE ON EASTER!
I would pick Rome, too, but for a lot of people, Rome can be overwhelming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post

Pick one place, get a central hotel and walk everywhere. Sit in cafes, have a good lunch, watch people go past, talk to the locals and enjoy the smells, sights and the wonderful culture and architecture surrounding you. It is the best you can hope for in such a short period of time.
Yes.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:15 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I think Venice might be a nice city to do in 3 days.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:36 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
My grand daughter went with her Art group during her Senior year in HS (April, 09)and they did a whirlwind trip of Europe. Austria (3 cities) Venice,Italy and Paris France. Most of the kids that age seemed to LOVED Venice.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:16 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think Venice might be a nice city to do in 3 days.
Actually, that's really not a bad idea at all.
Easter is late next year--April 24.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:46 PM

274 posts, read 860,267 times
Good luck with that one, I was there for 10 days (Venice, Florence Rome) and that wasn't nearly enough. It's just toooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much to see, do and try to take in.
The Vatican alone will take you about 4 hours or more. Trevi Fountain might be good if you can find a place to stand or possible sit. Colliseum, spanish steps etc and that's only Rome. Maybe venice you can do in 3 days. I went to this great little trattoria off the beaten path, local inexpensive eatery with the best bread in the world and the linguine was fab. Plan well and have a good time and take a TON of money as it is VERY EXPENSIVE but the food is oh oh so wonderful.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:56 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,621,818 times
Choose Venice or Florence and make sure you have your guided tours setup. You don't want to waste a minute just dawdling & slacking around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel