U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 12:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,696 posts, read 40,074,231 times

Advertisements

I can think of a better way to spend a Honeymoon than $8k to Austrailia, but Nov is challenging. 20+ hrs to Australia can make for a 'grumpy' experience if you are not used to international flying / time shifting strategies. Consider the Mexico / Belize area, and save Australia for 5th anniversary or later. Spend some serious time there 4-6wks. (make it worth the trip, be sure to see NZ and Cook Islands too).

I would do the 'full-service' thing, but in moderation. Cheap didn't make me any points on Honeymoon. And I did HI and other destinations for a 4 wk event (well under $2000). I will not go back to HI for all the prodding. I sent the spouse solo there (or w/ kids) but NEVER do I hope to go there again. Not my style, give me Figi or someplace warm and relaxing. I am not keen on being a tourist, and less keen on being treated like one. (intruder to natives in HI)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 04:20 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,041,022 times
Costa Rica. Pristine beaches, Cloud Rain-Forests, one of the most amazing eco-systems on the planet, lovely people, great seafood. Lots of eco-resorts too. Perfect for sailing, diving etc.. as well as hiking and more adventurous pursuits.

Costa Rica is fabulous. Or Maybe Belize, very similar but with some wonderful Archaeological sites on top.

Another one would be Croatia and Montenegro which is simply stunning ( but I suspect a lot more expensive).

Old 04-28-2010, 10:57 AM

512 posts, read 1,226,418 times
Thank you everyone....
where do i begin to respond.....you all have very good points.

we've already been to Hawaii, italy, a few cruises, and mexico as some people recommended.
our budget is only 4k by choice. we 'could' do 8k or more but we'd like it to be under 4k. I don't expect to go to AU or OZ with 4k, that's why we sorta crossed it off of the list....for now.

Belize and costa rica as some of you mentioned, may be good options next to Machu Picchu. i've heard great things about both.

Any other ideas? I'm so glad i started this thread. You guys are great :-)

Old 04-28-2010, 03:36 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,049,640 times
Airfares & Deals - Bookings - Air*New*Zealand - United States Site

Kia Ora / Gidday! Here is a link to the special airfares and packages running currently for NZ and OZ. You can check them out for costs to see if there is anything that works for you. I, like others, think you may want to go there some other time with more money and time to spend, but I thought you might like to preview the site and save it in your favs for later.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:26 AM

502 posts, read 1,568,187 times
If you like theme parks, why not orlando? We love them and do disney/universal/seaworld about every year or so. Disney we pass on magic kingdom - too many strollers. Universal studios has some great rides as does seaworld. We also run down to tampa bay area and do Busch gardens. Could be fun? Also some entertaining shows - blue man group and circue de soliel.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
If you like theme parks, why not orlando? We love them and do disney/universal/seaworld about every year or so. Disney we pass on magic kingdom - too many strollers. Universal studios has some great rides as does seaworld. We also run down to tampa bay area and do Busch gardens. Could be fun? Also some entertaining shows - blue man group and circue de soliel.
been to Orlando and tampa. also not into theme parks.
Want something exotic, not standing in lines for mediocre rides, eating hot dogs and chips.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:10 AM

Assuming it's Belize, is there a particular area you'd recommend? any particular hotel? Will there be clear blue beaches with white/pink sands? what about a rain forest? Information appreciated :-)

Cheers

Old 04-29-2010, 07:21 AM

10,791 posts, read 7,696,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1234 View Post
Belize and costa rica as some of you mentioned, may be good options next to Machu Picchu. i've heard great things about both.
I don't know about Belize but I honeymooned in Costa Rica - just outside Quepos. Gorgeous! We had a simple, yet lovely stone hut with a thatched roof on the side of a hill above the beach. Sloths in the trees, beautiful birds everywhere, pretty beaches, lush rainforest, perfect. The coffee there is amazing, as is the fresh fruit from the market. I've never had papaya as good as I had there.

I live in Australia now and I would not recommend anyone coming this distance for less than 3 weeks - and even that's pushing it! You're right in picking some place closer. You don't want to exhaust yourself just getting to your honeymoon!

Good luck and all the best!

Old 04-29-2010, 11:46 AM

2,537 posts, read 8,133,151 times
Check out Caribbean islands like St. Lucia & Jamaica. You don't have to go to a mega-resort in the Caribbean; there are some fabulous intimate resorts in beautiful settings such as Ladera on St. Lucia and Rock House Hotel on Jamaica's West End. You won't spend too much on airfare to get there, leaving more money for nice hotels and meals. And you'll also find jaw dropping scenery & the beautiful white sand beaches you're looking for.

Another option, which is certainly not for everone, is a sailboat charter in the Grenadines or BVI. It might put you a little over budget to go the crewed charter route, but it's a bucket list kind of thing for a lot of folks. My wife and I sailed the BVI for a week and it was amazing!

Old 04-30-2010, 03:31 PM

53 posts, read 132,229 times
Default Italy or Spain

all depends what you like the most in life... I just came back from Italy... we arrived in milan drove to venice stay there for 2 nights ( very expensive) after venice drove to florence stay in Greve in chianti in Tuscany... stay for 2 days... visited Montalcino... (wine country) Drove back to tuscany (amazing beautiful) after that drove to Piedmont... stay in Alba (small town) visited barolo and barbaresco (wine country) and then drove back to milan and sadly back to the states... awesome trip... Italians drive crazy but you get used to ... that trip was nice because we enjoy great food and good wine... I also recommend Spain: I visited madrid and barcelona... both great places to enjoy history, shops and more...Barcelona have a beach (opps you are going in November it might be too cold) anyway Barcelona have a lots for everybody... I love the beach too and I'll suggest Cancun but isnt going to be fun in Nov... and its getting very dangerous lately... Well Good luck... I'm sure whatever place you guys pick for your honeymoon is going to be special and unforgettable. Good luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel