U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2010, 12:54 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,812,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Exactly! I can't think of the last time I fell asleep on a plane, even on all the Europe trips I've been on! Those are always overnight flights, and I'm usually one of the only ones awake! My husband on the other hand can doze off anywhere! I can't believe people take pills to make them sleep on a plane! What if something happens where they need to make an emergency landing and you have to quickly evacuate? I hope the drugged people are not in the emergency exit rows!
The drugs are not so strong that you can't wake up if there's an emergency ! Best case scenario I get about 6 hours on a 10-hour transatlantic flight and I do not feel groggy when I wake up - I feel thankful I didn't have to endure 10 hours of total boredom and other people's snoring, sleeping, children crying and getting freaked out every time there's a smidge of turbulence.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 01:10 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,424,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
The drugs are not so strong that you can't wake up if there's an emergency ! Best case scenario I get about 6 hours on a 10-hour transatlantic flight and I do not feel groggy when I wake up - I feel thankful I didn't have to endure 10 hours of total boredom and other people's snoring, sleeping, children crying and getting freaked out every time there's a smidge of turbulence.
You mentioned Ambien. This is a drug that should NEVER be taken with alcohol, yet you said you take it with alcohol! And, you exceed the dosage by taking 2 or 3 pills! Most people would sleep for much more than 8 hours on such a dosage, so you must have been taking them for quite some time to develop such a tolerance to such high doses!

You cannot wake up right after taking Ambien and expect to be fully functional, it's a classified sedative/hypnotic and its purpose is to encourage sleepiness. Yes, you can be forced awake, but you will be so groggy and so out of it after just 2 hours of sleep that there is a very good chance you won't be able to react in an emergency. Ambien should only be taken if you can allot at least 8 hours to sleep. There are other options that wear off after 2-5 hrs, Ambien is not one of those.

I know people that use OTC drugs, like Dramamine, and cannot be woken up for 2+ hours after taking it, even when they use the non-drowsy formula! Yea, that's for motion sickness, but the drowsiness associated with Dramamine is well-documented and people started using it as a sleep aid. Never mind a prescription drug that comes with such warnings as Ambien!

And, aside from these risks, it's highly recommended you stretch your legs every hour while on a plane by getting up and walking around to prevent DVT. Can't do that if you're drugged into 5 hours of sleep! And, if you travel alone, you're in quite the vulnerable situation being knocked out with a complete stranger sitting next to you!

For those considering Ambien, you might find this useful:

Should you take Ambien when flying? | Maiden Voyage

Old 04-28-2010, 01:21 PM

2,024 posts, read 2,989,053 times
I can't get comfortable enough to sleep on a plane unless I'm in business class, or if I'm in cattle class on a flight that's not fully booked and I manage to nab at least 3 seats in a row so I can lie down.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:21 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,409,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
How do you manage it, if you do sleep?

I've never been able to sleep. This time I bought an eye mask, a small pillow (not a travel pillow, but close), and I have ear plugs. I'm also in a window seat, so I won't have people crawling all over me to get up constantly.

I'm not very optimistic, though. At least if I can't sleep, I do have a window seat so I can look out into the dark and enjoy the lights flashing at the end of the wing. Resting seems to be as much as I can do.

I even tried taking Tylenol PM last night - only to have to get up three times during the night. That kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? *sigh*
Sitting around with nothing to do is usually enough in and of itself...but in my case, I'll be working the night before my flight, so it will be TIME for me to sleep when I am on the flight.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:15 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,343,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I never sleep on a plane and yet my husband can sleep anywhere with no help. I want to be alert so that I can try to get off the plane in case anything happens.
That can be tricky when you are at 35000 feet

Old 04-28-2010, 05:52 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,048,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
I can't get comfortable enough to sleep on a plane unless I'm in business class, or if I'm in cattle class on a flight that's not fully booked and I manage to nab at least 3 seats in a row so I can lie down.
I hear you! Doesn't matter how long the flight, or time of night Cattleclass is just TOO uncomfortable. Flying from LA to NZ is 13 hours and leaves at midnight...After all day flying just getting to LA you would THINK you'd be able to sleep. Not! I see people sleeping sitting straight up. How do they do it? IF and that's a big IF you get three seats, I can "sort of" lay down and maybe get into a twilight sleep, but never really sleep! Then the plane lands and its morning and your up all day. People who can sleep on the planes are SOO lucky, they really are! Sure wish I could!

Old 04-28-2010, 08:55 PM

6,239 posts, read 15,454,358 times
Thanks, everyone, for your input. It seems that I'm doomed to wakefulness. At least the flight back will take place in daylight, so I can look out at the scenery. The night flight on the way there is going to be seven hours of boredom. I'll bring a few books, etc., but somehow flying always gives me a huge headache (not relieved by aspirin, etc.). Oh, well, I'll survive! I'm just glad to be going to England for a week.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:31 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,088,936 times
I can't stay awake on a plane, even if I'm not tired when I board. I don't think I've ever lasted more than 10 minutes before falling asleep. I can fall asleep before we leave the ground and sleep until we land. I don't know if it's the droning of the engines, but something about being on a plane just knocks me out. If only I could sleep when I'm home in my bed....

Old 04-28-2010, 09:45 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,946,733 times
Be clinically sleep-deprived. I'm lucky if I can stay awake to wheels-up whether it be a 40-min hop or a 16hr transpolar flight.

I like the long hauls because I get 12+ hours of sleep interrupted only by meals. I love it. I want to come back as a cat so that I can make a whole life out of eating and sleeping like that.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:13 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,587,921 times
I find it tough really getting into a deep sleep on a plane. In recent years on domestic flights when I have been so tired I have nodded off. Traveling down under though on 13-15 hour flights I just can't really sleep so when I get down there my first day I am like a zombie.

Last time when I landed in Auckland, Qantas didn't bother to put my bag on the plane, so I spent hours wandering in a daze all over the scattered suburbs looking for a Kmart or Target so I could get a change of clothes to wear and other toiletries. I must have been an odd sight when I turned up at my favorite hotel in town(Crowne Plaza) wearing 3 day old stinking clothes and carrying all my worldly belongings in Kmart plastic bags.

I really think I am going to have to plump for "Premium Economy" next time, cause I just can't do the "Slimline Seats!" anymore hemmed in between two 450 pound people with their elbows jammed right in your rib cage. No way you can sleep in that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel