U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 01:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,696 posts, read 40,074,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I used to have a job involving lots of flying so sleeping on planes now is second nature and the only way to survive the awful experience that air travel has become. . .
That's how I learned... every other month (19 hr) flight from USA to Japan and Singapore for 5 yrs. Now (all trained) I am likely to be sleeping before take-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Sitting around with nothing to do is usually enough in and of itself...but in my case, I'll be working the night before my flight, so it will be TIME for me to sleep when I am on the flight.
I do this schedule tweak too, I work all night before a long (day) flight, I work all day when arriving eastbound to avoid jetlag. Westbound, I try to get on new 'destination' schedule enroute and a day before. I do make it a point to operate on a normal schedule as soon as I arrive (sleep midnight to 6am) If arriving at 3AM, I still get up by 8 AM. I'm not too interested in 'burning-daylight', especially if I'm on VACATION!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 04:10 AM

2,024 posts, read 2,991,119 times
I've flown to Australia twice and learned after the first trip of 24 hours with only very short breaks at airports, to always spend at least one night at one of the transfer airports. Always Dubai for us.

A similar length trip was from Entebbe to Toronto. We spent 2 nights in Dubai when we transferred which made the whole trip much more tolerable.

The solution is to collect airmiles and upgrade to business. It makes such a huge difference to the trip! I arrive refreshed. Problem is that next time you go in cattle class it's even more intolerable. Guess I'll just have to win the lottery.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:10 AM

10,791 posts, read 7,696,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
The solution is to collect airmiles and upgrade to business. It makes such a huge difference to the trip! I arrive refreshed. Problem is that next time you go in cattle class it's even more intolerable. Guess I'll just have to win the lottery.
Last year, a couple days before our trip to the US, Qantas rang us to say they had a special deal for us - upgrade our Economy Brisbane to LAX flight to Business with our points, even though the cheapo seats I had bought (a twofer deal) weren't technically eligible for any upgrades. I took it. Except they actually upgraded us to First Class! Man, what a treat that was! Got those pods that go totally horizontal. I slept like a baby, especially after the nice wine with the nice dinner, and the very nice port after dinner! Coming back in cattle class was, like you said, even more intolerable! I was spoiled rotten!

Next trip up north, I'm using our points to upgrade to Business. It may not be First but it should be far less hellish than Economy.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:41 AM

2,024 posts, read 2,991,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Last year, a couple days before our trip to the US, Qantas rang us to say they had a special deal for us - upgrade our Economy Brisbane to LAX flight to Business with our points, even though the cheapo seats I had bought (a twofer deal) weren't technically eligible for any upgrades. I took it. Except they actually upgraded us to First Class! Man, what a treat that was! Got those pods that go totally horizontal. I slept like a baby, especially after the nice wine with the nice dinner, and the very nice port after dinner! Coming back in cattle class was, like you said, even more intolerable! I was spoiled rotten!

Next trip up north, I'm using our points to upgrade to Business. It may not be First but it should be far less hellish than Economy.
Pure bliss, eh?! Our airline is Emirates and we earned lots of miles plus purchased more so we could upgrade. Flown biz 3 or 4 times now. Emirates 1st class has private rooms with doors and now has showers you can use. Biz class has the pods with lie flat beds and huge tv screen. I just love the service and the food. First time I flew biz I was so impressed with the tablecloth on your tray, real dishes, appetizer choices, desserts, choice of wines! And in Dubai you have your own section of the terminal for security and immigration. Hub and I kept saying 'we're so special'.

I could get used to that!

Old 04-29-2010, 07:56 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,820,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
You mentioned Ambien. This is a drug that should NEVER be taken with alcohol, yet you said you take it with alcohol! And, you exceed the dosage by taking 2 or 3 pills! Most people would sleep for much more than 8 hours on such a dosage, so you must have been taking them for quite some time to develop such a tolerance to such high doses!

You cannot wake up right after taking Ambien and expect to be fully functional, it's a classified sedative/hypnotic and its purpose is to encourage sleepiness. Yes, you can be forced awake, but you will be so groggy and so out of it after just 2 hours of sleep that there is a very good chance you won't be able to react in an emergency. Ambien should only be taken if you can allot at least 8 hours to sleep. There are other options that wear off after 2-5 hrs, Ambien is not one of those.

I know people that use OTC drugs, like Dramamine, and cannot be woken up for 2+ hours after taking it, even when they use the non-drowsy formula! Yea, that's for motion sickness, but the drowsiness associated with Dramamine is well-documented and people started using it as a sleep aid. Never mind a prescription drug that comes with such warnings as Ambien!

And, aside from these risks, it's highly recommended you stretch your legs every hour while on a plane by getting up and walking around to prevent DVT. Can't do that if you're drugged into 5 hours of sleep! And, if you travel alone, you're in quite the vulnerable situation being knocked out with a complete stranger sitting next to you!

For those considering Ambien, you might find this useful:

Should you take Ambien when flying? | Maiden Voyage
Yes I can. Because I have done it. I'm not saying I guzzle a bottle of wine with the pills, I take it with one swallow and that's it. Without it I cannot sleep and I will not endure 10+ hours of being on an overnight flight without sleep. I have also woken up several times during the night even after taking the pills and then had to sit there desperately trying to get back to sleep. Please don't tell me what happens to me when you know nothing about me or my situation. NOTHING ELSE WORKS. I have been flying internationally for 30 years (since I was a child) and I know my body a hell of a lot better than you do.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:12 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,600,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
I've flown to Australia twice and learned after the first trip of 24 hours with only very short breaks at airports, to always spend at least one night at one of the transfer airports. Always Dubai for us.

A similar length trip was from Entebbe to Toronto. We spent 2 nights in Dubai when we transferred which made the whole trip much more tolerable.

I've been saving my Qantas airmiles for a long time to upgrade to business. I even link all my hotel club cards to Qantas instead of hotel points.

I have been able to fly first class a few times domestic and what a difference it makes. Some things in life are worth paying for.

I think next time I just might have a lay over on the west coast. It's too much and I end up looking and feeling like a ragamuffin.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:20 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,600,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post

I'd reckon for me Business class on Qantas international is good enough, but hey I'd take the first class if offered.

I remember a saying from someone reviewing a car, talking about when you get to your mid 30's, comfort is more important than appearances, and I'm there

I'm at the point where if I can't travel well, then I'm not interested in traveling. I don't need 5 star accommodations, but I've had enough of lumpy beds, greasy floors, thin walls, "slimline seats!", fast food and all that. I even find Holiday Inn Expresses, now that they've been redesigned, more than adequate. But I just can't do the rough traveling anymore.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:24 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,720,662 times
I've never been able to sleep on a plane. The one time I almost drifted off: Air New Zealand between Honolulu and Auckland. Half empty plane so I had a whole row to stretch out on. I... was...almost... asleep... When the steward walked by, patted me on the arm and said, "We doing all right Mum?"

He was so sweet I forgave him.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:05 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,267,472 times
I always take an aisle seat b/c my legs are longer and it gives me a bit of room. And I never experience people 'constantly crawling over me'. At most, once per flight. And that gives me a great chance to get up and stretch. Its good to not be sitting virtually immobile for an entire flight.

I take a small pashmina with me--I can wear it as a scarf, drape it like a blanket, or scrunch it up into a ball and tuck it between my chin and shoulder as a pillow.

But mostly, I think its a combination of trained habit and need. If you are really really tired, you'll sleep. And if you fly often enough, you just learn to train your brain to turn off while your body is upright--not just in airplane seats but in terminal waiting areas, security lines, check in lines.m But I think the trick to learning this habit is to not think about it--that's the exact opposite of what you want to be doing. You don't want to be thinking at all, about anything. Not about falling asleep, not about the person in the seat next to you, not about the beverage cart, not about your arrival time. Nothing. Maybe the hum of the engines, but that's it.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:30 PM

3,644 posts, read 5,567,550 times
I've never felt the need to sleep on a plane except Miami to Japan or China. Those are 22 hour long flights and I can only drift in and out of sleep but never really get any quality sleep. Sitting almost straight up is very hard to sleep. Also, it always seems someone bumps into my elbow of leg since I take an isle seat.
On shorter flights I just bring a couple of books and music to listen to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel