Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 07:42 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times

Advertisements

the airlines if they charge for carry ons...don't these dopes we vote into office realize the tax will just be passed on to the people flying

Senators propose new tax for airlines with carry-on fees | dailyrecord.com | Daily Record
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 08:44 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
the airlines if they charge for carry ons...don't these dopes we vote into office realize the tax will just be passed on to the people flying

Senators propose new tax for airlines with carry-on fees | dailyrecord.com | Daily Record
The argument is that the way airlines are taxed actually encourages them to charge fees because no tax is imposed on fees collected for "non-essential" services. So the tax treatment incentivises airlines to keep fares low because they are taxed and to make up the difference with various fees because they are not taxed. So by making the charge for carry-ons taxable, they argue, will reduce the incentive to charge for them.

I don't know if the tactic will work or not but I welcome the fact that the Senators are, at least, looking at this issue. This is all the more necessary because, in true cartel style, if one charges they all charge (Southwest excepted). So we need some regulation.

Senators unveil bill aimed at airline fees - Apr. 14, 2010

Old 04-15-2010, 08:50 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
There is no incentive to stop. If the airlines are planning on charging $45 and the feds decide to tax it the airlines will simply charge $55 instead. We pay the tax for them.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:35 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
If you fly an airline where BAGS FLY FREE, you pay NO tax on checked bags.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:25 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post

I would rather they just issue an outright BAN on such non sense. You should have a right to carry a bag on board- and even a right to check one bag for free.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:52 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,320,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I would rather they just issue an outright BAN on such non sense. You should have a right to carry a bag on board- and even a right to check one bag for free.
You TELL 'EM KEVK! WE AREN'T TAKING IT ANYMORE!!! We've put up with your CRAP long enough!!! BAN THE NON-SENSE!!!

(I need a bigger soapbox, does anybody have one I can borrow so I will be heard at the back of the room?)

Old 04-22-2010, 07:59 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I would prefer the government quit trying to regulate businesses that htey know nothing about. Now, if they think there is some cartel-like price fixing then that can be investigated but airlines should be allowed to charge fees if the flying public lets them get away with it by continuing to fly on those airlines (which we seem to be doing).

What I would really like to see is government stop using tax policy to reward or punish consumer behavior. That's why the tax code is 20,000 pages long now. The carrot and stick of the tax code is one of government's most powerful weapons against the electorate. We should not encourage them to expand it.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:26 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I would prefer the government quit trying to regulate businesses that htey know nothing about. Now, if they think there is some cartel-like price fixing then that can be investigated but airlines should be allowed to charge fees if the flying public lets them get away with it by continuing to fly on those airlines (which we seem to be doing).

What I would really like to see is government stop using tax policy to reward or punish consumer behavior. That's why the tax code is 20,000 pages long now. The carrot and stick of the tax code is one of government's most powerful weapons against the electorate. We should not encourage them to expand it.

But there is cartel-like price fixing. One does it and they all do it. Southwest is the exception but all the others are the rule.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:56 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
But there is cartel-like price fixing. One does it and they all do it. Southwest is the exception but all the others are the rule.
If there is cartel like price fixing why don't they ever make any money?

Old 04-24-2010, 08:14 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
If there is cartel like price fixing why don't they ever make any money?
Because they price it like Amtrak or Greyhound. They don't price it like a premium service. But then they would need to give premium service and we all know most airlines in the US lack basic customer service (except JetBlue). Its sort of amazing that most American based airlines give really bad service in the states, but yet the same American based airlines give nearly excellent service outside of the states. I flew with Delta and Continental within the past 30 days and both of them followed this issue to the letter.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 04-24-2010 at 08:52 PM.. Reason: Update
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel