U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:04 AM

208 posts, read 456,700 times

Advertisements

How do you keep volcanos, earthquakes, tornadoes, fires, hurricanes, floods, etc from causing ecological disasters?
Don't drive an SUV, take shorter showers, live in a straw hut, don't breeze because you'll exhale carbon dioxide. Yet we have over a million gallons of oil polluting the Gulf. Good grief get a life!
Stop worshiping the creation and worship the Creator instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
@ summers 19 : driving SUVs and jetskiing are hardly ecological vacations, it's a shame you practice such activities in a country that is known for focusing on ecotourism, where is your responsibility towards Mother Earth?
Even if I had your kind of budget , I would never do that.
Actually next January I'll be flying to CR, the 1st week, we'll visit the region around the Arenal volcano, all by bus , and stay in local hostels, and then we've rented a studio near Manuel Antonio, we'll go there by bus (it's better also to get to know the locals) and stay 3 weeks there, rent mountain bikes, buy on the local markets, cook ourselves, it's called slow tourism.
And we stay longer because it 's better in terms of CO2 emissions not to fly for only 2 weeks, and fly less often.
If everybody acted responsibly like us - and that doesn't prevent us to have fun-, there would be less environmental problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 08:11 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,346,398 times
If you plan to rent a car, deal with a recognized rental company. Economize anywhere else, but not on a rental car. I met way too many travelers who spent their entire vacation waiting for a rinky-dink rental company to repair or replace their broken down car.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:47 PM

28,285 posts, read 39,947,386 times
Quote:
@ summers 19 : driving SUVs and jetskiing are hardly ecological vacations, it's a shame you practice such activities in a country that is known for focusing on ecotourism, where is your responsibility towards Mother Earth?
Even if I had your kind of budget , I would never do that.
Actually next January I'll be flying to CR, the 1st week, we'll visit the region around the Arenal volcano, all by bus , and stay in local hostels, and then we've rented a studio near Manuel Antonio, we'll go there by bus (it's better also to get to know the locals) and stay 3 weeks there, rent mountain bikes, buy on the local markets, cook ourselves, it's called slow tourism.
And we stay longer because it 's better in terms of CO2 emissions not to fly for only 2 weeks, and fly less often.
If everybody acted responsibly like us - and that doesn't prevent us to have fun-, there would be less environmental problems.

Thank Heaven for people like you. How else would the rest of us ever know that we were self indulgent *******s.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:11 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,429,036 times
Quote:
If a country that's (allegedly) known for focusing on ecotourism offers activities such as jetskiing, ATVing, etc., then perhaps they are not very eco-friendy, now are they? Mother Earth needs to have a talk with Costa Rica, it seems.

I say we all take 3 weeks off to travel, all at once, so as not to contribute to CO2 emissions. Don't worry, your job might still be here when you get back!

Old 08-02-2010, 04:58 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,166,085 times
Don't worry, your job might still be here when you get back!

For sure! as a Civil servant, I can't be fired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel