U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-03-2010, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,346 posts, read 83,018,229 times
Reputation: 17516

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Thank goodness, industry consolidation = higher fares which = potential profits for an industry who needs them badly.
Is this good or bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2010, 10:52 AM
 
11,951 posts, read 21,539,779 times
Reputation: 11721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Is this good or bad?
Good.

Profits would mean more attention is paid to mx, maybe less outsourcing to 3rd world countries. Less outsourcing to smaller commuter carriers. Higher paid employees means less bitter employees. More gate agents and ground personnel. The ability to cope with higher fuel prices instead of losing billions a year and mortgaging your entire fleet and office complex just to keep operating. The list goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,346 posts, read 83,018,229 times
Reputation: 17516
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Good.

Profits would mean more attention is paid to mx, maybe less outsourcing to 3rd world countries. Less outsourcing to smaller commuter carriers. Higher paid employees means less bitter employees. More gate agents and ground personnel. The ability to cope with higher fuel prices instead of losing billions a year and mortgaging your entire fleet and office complex just to keep operating. The list goes on.
Just like Amtrak?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 11:26 AM
 
11,951 posts, read 21,539,779 times
Reputation: 11721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Just like Amtrak?
Amtrak was/is government subsidized there is a world of difference between a corporation running a business and subsidizing it with government funds. There is really only 1 pax train service in America where as there are still a dozen or more airlines.

Plus people prefer Amtrak nowadays over the airlines anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Sverige och USA
702 posts, read 2,797,534 times
Reputation: 417
I don't think a bigger airline will mean bigger profit. As soon as they cut capacity, which is what is needed to reduce supply, low cost carriers will jump in to gain market share. In fact, the only real reason anyone will even want to fly large legacy carriers like United/Continental, Delta, AA, etc. is that they have a huge international network. However, low cost carriers like jetblue are already starting to form alliances with airlines like Lufthansa and Aer Lingus. With that, there is actually a disadvantage to flying the legacies as they nickel and dime everyone to death and the service is worse then the low cost carriers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,346 posts, read 83,018,229 times
Reputation: 17516
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

Profits would mean more attention is paid to mx,
Are the airlines meeting maintenance requirements now? If so, then why should they spend more money on maintenance? (It's already "good enough".)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 01:39 PM
 
452 posts, read 1,239,556 times
Reputation: 406
New aircraft livery. Basically the current Continental livery with gold, blue, and gray but with "United" as the name. It will be interesting to see what elements they keep of each airline on the inside of the plane:
Differences:
-United operates a 3 class international product with First-Business-Economy. Continental operates a two class Business Product with Economy.
-United has an economy plus section within economy with extra legroom. CO does not.
-Continental is installing personal video entertainment in the seat back of all aircraft, even in economy. United does not and the 747 international aircraft only have PTV's in First and Business.
-United operates "International First Class Lounges" that are separate for first class international passengers from the Red Carpet Club. CO only has the President's Club.
-United has totally flat business class seats on international flights, CO does not.
-CO serves complimentary meals on select domestic flights, UA only sells food on domestic flights.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 02:22 PM
 
Location: The Raider Nation._ Our band kicks brass
1,854 posts, read 8,744,370 times
Reputation: 2308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Are the airlines meeting maintenance requirements now? If so, then why should they spend more money on maintenance? (It's already "good enough".)
I questioned that statement too. Even when my airline was running through bankruptcy, cost of maintenance was never a factor. We as mechanics changed every part that needed to be changed. We didn't care what it cost. Nobody was going to lie on a Federal document just to save the company money. The penalty would have been fines, loss of license, loss of career, and prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,346 posts, read 83,018,229 times
Reputation: 17516
Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
New aircraft livery. Basically the current Continental livery with gold, blue, and gray but with "United" as the name. It will be interesting to see what elements they keep of each airline on the inside of the plane:
Differences:
-United operates a 3 class international product with First-Business-Economy. Continental operates a two class Business Product with Economy.
-United has an economy plus section within economy with extra legroom. CO does not.
-Continental is installing personal video entertainment in the seat back of all aircraft, even in economy. United does not and the 747 international aircraft only have PTV's in First and Business.
-United operates "International First Class Lounges" that are separate for first class international passengers from the Red Carpet Club. CO only has the President's Club.
-United has totally flat business class seats on international flights, CO does not.
-CO serves complimentary meals on select domestic flights, UA only sells food on domestic flights.
Good information.

The way things have been going, I wouldn't be surprised if was the worst of both worlds for passengers - A new class maybe, Economy Minus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 12:58 PM
 
28,243 posts, read 39,908,153 times
Reputation: 36757
If things are going to be run as they have been as United I'll not fly with them. My (consistently) worst experiences have been with United. They are terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top