U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-03-2010, 12:14 PM
 
1 posts, read 5,418 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

My question has a couple components, but first I'll provide some background.

I'm flying from Philadelphia to Paris and Shanghai and back this summer. Air France offers the best fare. However, if I throw in another destination--like Geneva--the total fare is cheaper by a few hundred dollars.

I'm not particularly keen on doing unnecessary travel, so can I book the connecting flights to/from the extraneous city and not go? For example, do: PHL to CDG to PVG to CDG to GVA to CDG to PHL, and just wait in CDG on the way back from Shanghai PVG? Does not showing up for two flights (CDG to GVA and GVA to CDG) raise any security flags or anything? Can I re-check my luggage in a city (in this case, Paris CDG) even though the first flight segment is supposed to originate from Geneva?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2010, 12:19 PM
 
144 posts, read 415,660 times
Reputation: 55
Most airlines will cancel the rest of your reservation if you miss one segment of it, so you'd be up the creek without a paddle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 12:41 PM
 
14,253 posts, read 15,327,070 times
Reputation: 13682
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaojie View Post
My question has a couple components, but first I'll provide some background.

I'm flying from Philadelphia to Paris and Shanghai and back this summer. Air France offers the best fare. However, if I throw in another destination--like Geneva--the total fare is cheaper by a few hundred dollars.

I'm not particularly keen on doing unnecessary travel, so can I book the connecting flights to/from the extraneous city and not go? For example, do: PHL to CDG to PVG to CDG to GVA to CDG to PHL, and just wait in CDG on the way back from Shanghai PVG? Does not showing up for two flights (CDG to GVA and GVA to CDG) raise any security flags or anything? Can I re-check my luggage in a city (in this case, Paris CDG) even though the first flight segment is supposed to originate from Geneva?

Thanks!!
How long are you in Geneva? I can suggest a great restaurant within walking distance of the airport (Swiss side) if you have the time. Go to Geneva, have lunch and then back to CDG like a real jet setter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 11:30 AM
 
4,919 posts, read 19,850,813 times
Reputation: 6215
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkosiek View Post
Most airlines will cancel the rest of your reservation if you miss one segment of it, so you'd be up the creek without a paddle.
Yep, been in many airports where people are freeking out cause they have no reservations going back because it was cancelled. Not only do you not have reservatons any longer but to get home, its a full price last minute booking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 01:01 PM
 
28,237 posts, read 39,879,137 times
Reputation: 36735
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Yep, been in many airports where people are freeking out cause they have no reservations going back because it was cancelled. Not only do you not have reservatons any longer but to get home, its a full price last minute booking.
Another way to rip off customers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 01:30 PM
 
4,919 posts, read 19,850,813 times
Reputation: 6215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Another way to rip off customers...
How is that a rip off?
You bought a ticket from point A to point B.
The fare is based on that ticket.
You Don't live up to the terms of your ticket and made a new route.
Why can't the airlines charge you for what you did instead of what you told them you would do?

You rent a car for a week at a weekly rate, but use it for only 3 days, are you saying the rental company should charge you only for the 3 days under the weekly rate and not the normal daily rate?

When you buy the ticket, the price is based on what you said you WILL do, not what you want to do. If you dont want to do what the ticket said, buy a ticket for the way you want to do it. But don't say its a rip off because you are the one backing out of the deal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 07:10 PM
 
48,516 posts, read 83,901,398 times
Reputation: 18049
Your babage being sen t thru but your not being on the flight will be a red flag. That has been for some time as that is the way many bombs were palnted on airplanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2010, 12:18 PM
 
Location: The Big D
14,874 posts, read 37,249,254 times
Reputation: 5787
That is called a "hidden city fare" and it is not allowed. You used to could do it but you could not check any bags at all. I'm talking over 20 years ago. It was pretty common for such and it is a pita that the airlines actually charge LESS for an additional flight.

As others have said, if you miss one flight they will cancel the remainder of your reservation and you will be stuck. They KNOW to look for this and are pretty savy about it as well. Throw in the fact you can't check ANY luggage and your pretty much stuck w/ just what you could carry on, having to pay full price fare to get back home IF there is a seat left........... NO THANKS! Not worth it at all.

Now, if you want to find another way to do this that is similiar then look up the fare if you started out and ended up at a MUCH smaller airport not too far away from Philly. Close enough you could drive there and leave your car there and fly out from there. I know it used to be around here you could fly out of Tyler, Tx on a puddle jumper to DFW and then change planes and fly to Boston for less than 1/2 the fare of just a DFW/BOS ticket. Like I said earlier, you are adding TWO EXTRA flights and it is a lot cheaper. Doesn't make sense at all and the flights out of DFW are the exact same flight you would have done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2010, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Miami/ Washington DC
4,836 posts, read 10,184,676 times
Reputation: 2512
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaojie View Post
My question has a couple components, but first I'll provide some background.

I'm flying from Philadelphia to Paris and Shanghai and back this summer. Air France offers the best fare. However, if I throw in another destination--like Geneva--the total fare is cheaper by a few hundred dollars.

I'm not particularly keen on doing unnecessary travel, so can I book the connecting flights to/from the extraneous city and not go? For example, do: PHL to CDG to PVG to CDG to GVA to CDG to PHL, and just wait in CDG on the way back from Shanghai PVG? Does not showing up for two flights (CDG to GVA and GVA to CDG) raise any security flags or anything? Can I re-check my luggage in a city (in this case, Paris CDG) even though the first flight segment is supposed to originate from Geneva?

Thanks!!
This wont work, first I would check to see if the airline would even let you book that flight. Second your bags will be going where ever your ticket is. And if you dont show up for one of your flights the other flights after will be cancelled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2010, 05:41 PM
JS1
 
1,898 posts, read 6,124,052 times
Reputation: 1588
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
That is called a "hidden city fare" and it is not allowed. You used to could do it but you could not check any bags at all. I'm talking over 20 years ago. It was pretty common for such and it is a pita that the airlines actually charge LESS for an additional flight.

As others have said, if you miss one flight they will cancel the remainder of your reservation and you will be stuck. They KNOW to look for this and are pretty savy about it as well. Throw in the fact you can't check ANY luggage and your pretty much stuck w/ just what you could carry on, having to pay full price fare to get back home IF there is a seat left........... NO THANKS! Not worth it at all.

Now, if you want to find another way to do this that is similiar then look up the fare if you started out and ended up at a MUCH smaller airport not too far away from Philly. Close enough you could drive there and leave your car there and fly out from there. I know it used to be around here you could fly out of Tyler, Tx on a puddle jumper to DFW and then change planes and fly to Boston for less than 1/2 the fare of just a DFW/BOS ticket. Like I said earlier, you are adding TWO EXTRA flights and it is a lot cheaper. Doesn't make sense at all and the flights out of DFW are the exact same flight you would have done.
That's because most people don't like to take extra flights (like the OP).

Air fares are a function of convenience and competition, not distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top