U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 01:30 PM

396 posts, read 636,004 times

Advertisements

My husband's new employer is going to rent a car for us to drive out to Iowa so he can attend meetings with his new bosses and so we can house hunt. I do NOT fly, so we asked about driving and they offered to get us a car. Awesome, no wear and tear on ours!

But I am curious how that process works, then. With my husband having been laid off for so long, we got rid of our credit cards and kept only a debit card. I've read rental policies for the major rental agencies and it's clear they dislike debit cards.

I'm assuming though, that this isn't really an issue since the company is securing the car for us? Can anyone verify this? Can you give me some idea of how things will go when we pick up the car? Will we need to do anything beyond providing our drivers licenses?

Just any information you might have about this would be great. If it matters, his new company is a huge Fortune500 company, so I don't doubt that they have a normal commercial account with a car rental company.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 01:56 PM

9,035 posts, read 16,473,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
My husband's new employer is going to rent a car for us to drive out to Iowa so he can attend meetings with his new bosses and so we can house hunt. I do NOT fly, so we asked about driving and they offered to get us a car. Awesome, no wear and tear on ours!

But I am curious how that process works, then. With my husband having been laid off for so long, we got rid of our credit cards and kept only a debit card. I've read rental policies for the major rental agencies and it's clear they dislike debit cards.

I'm assuming though, that this isn't really an issue since the company is securing the car for us? Can anyone verify this? Can you give me some idea of how things will go when we pick up the car? Will we need to do anything beyond providing our drivers licenses?

Just any information you might have about this would be great. If it matters, his new company is a huge Fortune500 company, so I don't doubt that they have a normal commercial account with a car rental company.

Thanks!
I'd definitely check before hand on the process with your company.

Some may have secured contracts where deposits are also taken care of.

I know when I've travelled for work (also with very large national companies) we have preferred rental carriers - however, we just work with the companies travel agent to make a reservation - once there we pay for the car, deposit, etc with our corporate cards

Old 05-04-2010, 02:14 PM

3,611 posts, read 9,305,250 times
Generally even the big boys require that you have a credit card in hand to rent. They just get a discounted rate and reimburse you after the rental. Once I started a job and had to travel before my corporate card was issued and had no personal card. It was very difficult to find an agency that would accept another person's corporate card for the rental.

Talk to the company and find out how they usually handle it and how that process will work out for you.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:39 PM

3,644 posts, read 5,571,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
My husband's new employer is going to rent a car for us to drive out to Iowa so he can attend meetings with his new bosses and so we can house hunt. I do NOT fly...
Wait. Your online name is Wingsy and you don't fly? Maybe Walksy would be a better choice.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:45 PM

396 posts, read 636,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Wait. Your online name is Wingsy and you don't fly?
Only under my own power.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:03 AM

16,410 posts, read 26,311,900 times
Get over it and fly :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel