U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 04:16 PM

337 posts, read 586,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Bleh, I don't recommend Vietnam over Thailand, but I do recommend it over China. With places like Nha Trang, and Hoi Ann, Vietnam is fun, but with Bangkok, Hat Yi, Patong, and Puket Thailand is REALLY fun!

Vietnam is certainly cheaper, though.
W/ regards to airline tickets Vietnam is almost double the price. I have a friend that owns a Salon and she is going home to Vietnam in July and wants me to go w/, she said she will check tick prices and I should come see her in 2wks well I checked and prices were like $3K -$4K, which would be my entire budget.

My goal is to travel to an affordable Asian city where I can get to nice swimming and beaches, and that's friendly to Americans, which can be hard to find these days, as were not to awful popular around the world these days.

I haven't told her I can't swing those prices for tickets. The one big thing about if I chose to go to Vietnam, I'd have a built in Tour guide and someone to show me the sites and someone looking out for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 04:33 PM

6 posts, read 9,858 times
Default Bangkok

I went to Bangkok four times cautious of the U.S. government. My flights usually cost around two thousand dollars. When you step off that airport it smells like a garbage dump. The shopping is the best. You can buy all kinds of knockoffs. Hotels are cheap. Under the freeways are all kind of bars. It is the sex capital of the world. You better be safe. Watch your back for crime. Good luck

Old 05-12-2010, 04:47 PM

337 posts, read 586,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota2003 View Post
I went to Bangkok four times cautious of the U.S. government. My flights usually cost around two thousand dollars. When you step off that airport it smells like a garbage dump. The shopping is the best. You can buy all kinds of knockoffs. Hotels are cheap. Under the freeways are all kind of bars. It is the sex capital of the world. You better be safe. Watch your back for crime. Good luck
Yeah it's the sex capital for raping little kids! Not really my thing.

Used to work w/ CDC communicable disease clinic and know that any time you travel and decide to become sexual w/ anyone in another country you litterally have a 1 in 5 chance to get burned.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:59 AM

3,644 posts, read 5,558,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceryan View Post
My goal is to travel to an affordable Asian city where I can get to nice swimming and beaches, and that's friendly to Americans, which can be hard to find these days, as were not to awful popular around the world these days.
Try the Philippeans. Prices are just as cheap as SE Asia and the beaches are beautiful. The people are as friendly as Thailand and most of them speak English since the Philippeans used to be an American territory.

Quote:
Used to work w/ CDC communicable disease clinic and know that any time you travel and decide to become sexual w/ anyone in another country you litterally have a 1 in 5 chance to get burned.
I can believe that for some countries like Thailand, assuming we are talking about having sex with 'professionals', but that can't be true for every country.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:48 PM

32 posts, read 66,895 times
Try using skyscanner and tripadvisor for flexible dates. After that, find the days that are cheap to travel and search Kayak and the native airlines that are offering the tickets. I've bought tickets to Spain and Turkey which are about the same price as traveling to California from the East Coast before with this method.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:52 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,704,378 times
Quote:
That is a myth, people generally judge you for yourself not your country, the busloads of white tourists are the same thing to the locals a scammer will still try to scam anyone and a friendly person will still help you with your tourist map.

We've traveled all over the world and have yet to encounter locals in Asia making drama over us being American.

Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia are relatively cheap once you get there, and all beautiful in their own way. I'd say Thailand (current political crisis aside) is the easiest on tourists in that it has lots to see and you can party pretty hard, but Angkor Wat in Cambodia is the most impressive thing I've ever seen and that includes the Taj Mahal. Vietnam has beautiful beaches, our favorite is Hoi An near Danang.

Whereever you go, good luck, have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel