U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 04:23 PM

337 posts, read 587,737 times

Advertisements

Looking to travel to Thailand and wanted to know what I'm looking at roughly to fly their this summer?

I looked on one site and was take way back are tickets really aroun
$2K-$3K?

If so how to people afford trips like this?

Looking to find out how to travel there on the cheap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 08:51 AM

144 posts, read 416,202 times
I guess it depends on where you are traveling from, what days you're traveling on, and what part of the summer. I just plugged in 2 tuesdays, the 29th of June and the 6th of July (a short trip, I realize) and got a price of $1500 from Charlotte. If you try to leave from Asheville, I'm sure you're going to pay over the top because you're starting your journey from a small regional airport.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:20 AM

8,291 posts, read 11,146,731 times
My heavens, have you been reading the news lately? There's a LOT of political unrest and rioting in Thailand,on the front page of the daily papers. Better check with the State Department to see about travel advisories. Thailand sure wouldn't be on my itinerary right now.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:11 PM

3,644 posts, read 5,566,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
My heavens, have you been reading the news lately? There's a LOT of political unrest and rioting in Thailand,on the front page of the daily papers. Better check with the State Department to see about travel advisories. Thailand sure wouldn't be on my itinerary right now.
Yes. Be especially careful of Southern Thailand, which is where most of the Muslim jihadists are. There were 23 fatal attacks in Thailand by Muslim jihadists in March and April. They don't make news over here but the victims are just as dead.

I went to Thailand in 1988 and I thought it was the most beautiful place I'd ever seen. It's still in my top three. Hope you have a great trip and stay safe.

Fatal attacks in last two months

Old 05-05-2010, 04:32 PM

144 posts, read 416,202 times
Both of these posters are correct in regards to political unrest. That said, if the previous poster is going to throw numbers out at you like that, how about some perspective: Baltimore in the previous 3 months had 44 killings, in November & December of '09 Philadelphia had 50 murders, yadda, yadda, yadda. The southern part of Thailand has way more people than either of those two cities, so even though there is political unrest, you should be pretty safe if you are alert.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:50 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,366,605 times
Thailand:Widespread Unrest Prompts Travel Warnings Canada, US, UK

Barbara McPherson | April 28, 2010 at 10:27

Civil unrest in Thailand has prompted travel warnings from the governments of Canada, US and United Kingdom and many more countries. The democracy of Thailand shows signs of unravelling and governments have urged the casual travellers to rethink their plans.

Canada's Warning to Its Citizens

For citizens already in Thailand they are urging extreme caution. Previously warnings were issued for specific areas of the country for non-essential travel. Today those warnings apply to Thailand as a whole.

The Department of Foreign Affairs upgraded an earlier travel advisory to the Kingdom of Thailand Wednesday to a full-blown travel warning, saying all non-essential travel to the politically unstable country should be avoided.

Thai authorities Wednesday began evacuating some of the 3,000-plus travellers - many of them foreign tourists - trapped at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi International Airport since demonstrators stormed the terminal Tuesday.

Countries Issuing Travel Warnings for Thailand

• Australia
  • Britain
  • Canada
  • China
  • France
  • Japan
  • New Zealand
  • Singapore
Thailand:Widespread Unrest Prompts Travel Warnings Canada, US, UK | NowPublic News Coverage

Old 05-05-2010, 11:39 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,951,098 times
Try flying on Tuesdays. Often flying from a local airport is weirdly cheaper than flying from a big city. Try wego.com or kayak.com

Be aware that riots and demonstrations can close down public services and airports. However, you can probably negotiate some great hotel deals (and they're not expensive to begin with) thanks to all the tourists being scared off. Bangkok is an awesome city to visit. As a tourist, it's best not to get involved, even to watch. Pick another direction to walk if you see one.

Cabbies will generally be up on what areas are congested or restive and they won't want to drive through or take you there. Avoid autoricks in Bangkok, they cost more than cabs.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:25 AM

86 posts, read 153,177 times
I just got back from thailand mid april and I didn't have any problems, I wasn't in Bangkok though where all the demonstrations are taking place

Check out the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree travel forum where you will get some up to date information from people who are on the ground in bangkok & thailand. The link in post #6 about protesters storming the airport is from 2008.

One problem with travel warnings issued by the embassy is that travel insurers often won't give you a policy, something to keep in mind and check on.

Good luck with the flights. Don't quote me here but I think trans pacific flights are at there most expensive during summer months. I usually travel to asia once a year and buy my tickets after JAN 1 for march april flights

Old 05-10-2010, 03:21 PM

9,603 posts, read 17,207,551 times
If you don't absolutely have to go to Thailand but you want to go to SE Asia, why not try Vietnam? I liked it 5X more than Thailand, and the scenery was even more beautiful. You have Halong Bay, which is one of the world's most beautiful spots, Hanoi, Dalat, Hai An, and many other terrific places.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:41 AM

3,080 posts, read 9,951,098 times
Bleh, I don't recommend Vietnam over Thailand, but I do recommend it over China. With places like Nha Trang, and Hoi Ann, Vietnam is fun, but with Bangkok, Hat Yi, Patong, and Puket Thailand is REALLY fun!

Vietnam is certainly cheaper, though.

Last edited by sponger42; 05-11-2010 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: Misspelled Puket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel