U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 06:01 PM

1,495 posts, read 4,538,542 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live in NJ and we want to take a trip in the summer for about 9 days but we cannot decide on where to go.

We have narrowed it down to:

1. Visit L.A and San Fran (have some friends in San Fran as well) and drive the Big Sur while hitting points like Hollywood, Santa Cruz, Colma, Monterrey, Venice Beach, Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge, etc.

2. Take a road trip starting in Minnesota at the Mall of America and drive back to NJ while hitting all the big cities of MInneapolis, Milwaukee (see some friends in Milwaukee), Chicago, Cleveland, going to Cedar point amusement park, pittsburgh and then off back to NJ.

We have never been to any of those areas so we are wondering which one would be the bigger adventure. Could you suggest any interesting point in both areas that are must-sees? We like big cities, nature, clubs, eating all types of food, museums, and quirky places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 06:26 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,422,694 times
The MN trip sounds extremely dull, to be honest. The Mall of America is just like any other mall out there, nothing special other than the size. Middle America just doesn't excite me, especially when your other option is the CA coast!

I vote for the CA coastal trip. There are so many beaches and things to see on the way from LA to SF. It's one of our very favorite trips. Driving up to SF and seeing the ocean from your car is the best thing ever. That just might be my favorite trip! Here's a picture I took while driving from LA to Santa Barbara. You see this most of the way up, from your car!

Oh, and I'm from Jersey as well. Moved to CA 1.5 years ago and haven't looked back!

Old 05-05-2010, 12:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,637 posts, read 39,998,659 times
I don't do 'humidity', so... bit slanted in my recommendations (I do 'humidity' states in the fall)

I vote for Calif for this summer. (going to SF myself next month, it is very fun and lots to do for free, I go a few times / yr when possible)

Pacific Northwest for a summer soon (Seattle to SF, Via Olympic National Park, Mt Rainier, Mt St Helens, Mt Hood, Portland, Oregon Coast, Crater Lake, Redwoods, Bodega Bay)

Then another summer week in Vancouver and Victoria BC

Followed by Alaska (another great summer spot... LONG days, can see a lot!!)

These places all avail 'Air-con free' sleeping with 50F evenings and lots of 'fresh air'

Old 05-05-2010, 12:27 AM

187,012 posts, read 76,933,407 times
The Ozarks. Peaceful with out a lot of concrete.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:04 AM

34,401 posts, read 41,509,339 times
I'd suggest the west coast trip, drive the Pacific Coast Highway,take a drive into Yosemite..Of course you'll have to fly out there and rent a car
(Mustang Convertible)once there as 9 days isnt enough time to drive out there and back..

Or if you have passports you could come up to Canada and drive around Nova Scotia
Nova Scotia - Google Search

Old 05-09-2010, 05:33 PM

1,495 posts, read 4,538,542 times
FUnny that noone really picked northern U.S. I guess well have to go with L.A and San Fran

Old 05-11-2010, 08:36 PM

1,458 posts, read 5,268,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Pacific Northwest for a summer soon (Seattle to SF, Via Olympic National Park, Mt Rainier, Mt St Helens, Mt Hood, Portland, Oregon Coast, Crater Lake, Redwoods, Bodega Bay)

Just keep in mind that the best of the redwoods are a few hours north of San Fran. Don't settle for Muir Woods. The best places to see the redwoods are between Avenue of the Giants and Jedediah Smith redwoods.

Good thing that photos don't wear out. Because I post these a lot. Photos are worth a 1000 words.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:57 AM

6,239 posts, read 15,452,895 times
To the OP, if you want to stay relatively close to home (within driving distance, anyway!), then choose the northern U.S. You'll be battling heat and humidity, but since you live in NJ, you're probably already used to that. It won't be as exciting as the west coast, but you'd at least be exploring a different part of the country. I'm sure Chicago would be nice, as any big city is.

If you want more excitement, then yes, the west coast tour is your best bet. You could start at the Venice boardwalk, which looks like it hasn't changed since the 1960s! The drive up Hwy 1 is truly beautiful, if a bit nail-biting at times once you get to the cliffs in Central California. You might want to take a detour to Hearst Castle for an afternoon as well.

Hearst Castle - California State Park

If you go through Big Sur, please stop at a restaurant on the left (if you're driving north) called Nepenthe. They have tables outside and gorgeous views of the Pacific. If you're there at the right time, you'll even see a condor or two soaring overhead, and the blue jays will try to steal your French fries!

Nepenthe Restaurant, Big Sur, California

Carmel and Monterey are also beautiful. The 17-mile drive through Pacific Grove and Pebble Beach is expensive, but the views make the price well worth it. If I could afford to live anywhere in the world, I'd live there.

17-Mile Drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope this helps!

Old 05-12-2010, 08:10 AM

26,346 posts, read 83,036,714 times
If your desire to visit both is equivalent and you intend on visiting both places at some time, then do MN in the summer as the west coast can be visited year round. Visiting MN might be only good in summer?

Consider the economy. Does either region provide bigger discounts? LA is hurting economically, maybe there will be deals on lodging and attractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or