U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 04:27 PM

2,517 posts, read 9,910,572 times

Advertisements

Amsterdam or Barcelona

Venice is over rated and dirty....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 09:31 PM

144 posts, read 415,769 times
Since its a week, you'll probably want a larger city with lots to do both in and near. This does tend to lead to the capitals. That said, whichever city you do choose, you want to check out the surrounding areas for day-trips. Paris has Versailles amongst its trips, London has Windsor, Rome has a longer one down the Vesuvius or possibly Florence, Barcelona has tons to do, Madrid has lots around it. Why not say up in Scandinavia and go out towards the country or even the coastal area of Norway?

Old 05-10-2010, 06:06 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,019,784 times
Paris
Florence
Budapest
Edinburgh
Tallinn
Prague
Rome
Vienna
Munich
Barcelona
Grenada
St Petersburg

Old 05-10-2010, 09:10 AM

4,836 posts, read 10,188,748 times
I say if you can go to two! My two cities would be Prague and London or Prague and Madrid or Prague and Barcelona. As you see I think Prague is one of the greatest cities out there! You can easily see all of Prague in 2-3 days then travel either early morning or late night to another city. London is fantastic, lots to do. Madrid is a great city. And if you are looking for Beaches and the best night life go to Barcelona which also has the best food in Europe.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:21 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,019,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I say if you can go to two! My two cities would be Prague and London or Prague and Madrid or Prague and Barcelona. As you see I think Prague is one of the greatest cities out there! You can easily see all of Prague in 2-3 days then travel either early morning or late night to another city. London is fantastic, lots to do. Madrid is a great city. And if you are looking for Beaches and the best night life go to Barcelona which also has the best food in Europe.
You must have gone to a different Prague than I did ! I was there for almost 2 weeks 2 years ago and barely managed to scratch the surface !

Old 05-11-2010, 06:36 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,499,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I notice Milan is not on your list.
oh no, Milan is very great but if you go to Italy for one time, Rome is the best!

Milan is good for amusements and fashion; it's a young city

I prefer US then Europe!

Old 05-11-2010, 06:48 AM

2,177 posts, read 2,916,070 times
I have been to Europe many, many times. If I had to say just ONE city to visit for a week, it would be hard to decide between Paris and Rome. I am leaning toward Paris.

Most Europeans speak English, some better, some worse. But language has never been a problem for us in Western Europe. The only place where it was a very small issue was in small towns in Poland. Even then we were able to communicate with smiles and gestures. No big deal.

Prague, while beautiful, does not really need a whole week. Ditto Budapest, Milan, Venice, Edinburgh, Barcelona (altho its lovely), Lisbon, etc. Its sort of like comparing a week in Washington, DC or NYC to a week in Houston. Not even close.

If I might suggest, you might want to consider going to Rome, for example, and after several days there, take the train to Pompeii, Sienna or some other not-too-distant destinations. You could do some similar trip out of Paris too. The train systems in Europe are great. Of course, you could spend an entire week in Rome or Paris and not get tired of it or bored.

Bon Voyage...what a great trip you will have in Europe!!

Old 05-11-2010, 10:43 AM

16,092 posts, read 36,576,539 times
I think those are good suggestions. I have a little trouble each time with Milano Centrale train station and would suggest reservations and tickets in advance - but there are so many great places- Rome, Florence, Naples/Pompeii/Amalfi, Venice, Sienna...

Paris would probably fill most of a week but you can do side trips to the Champagne region (I went on a mini-bus, had a blast and made friends) or you can take the train to Provence or even Cannes/Nice/Monte Carlo or go see Monet's gardens, Chartes, Versailles, on shorter trips...

I think those two would be the most contrast to Stockholm.

Last edited by Lakewooder; 05-11-2010 at 10:56 AM..

Old 05-11-2010, 07:02 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,337,656 times
Try the Basque Country, particularly Guipuzcoa. San Sebastian and environs are incredible...the people (not nearly as reserved in my experience as some say), the food, the architecture, the squares, the vibe, the beach, the mountains, etc.

Barcelona is over-rated, as is Madrid. Save those for another time.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:23 PM

5,691 posts, read 8,599,419 times
Have you thought about the Baltics? There are many up and coming destinations with a lot of history and culture, close to Scandinavia as well.

Tallin, Estonia
Riga, Latvia
Villnius, Lithuania

Be forewarned though, Prague, although a very historic and beautiful city is just so overrun with tourists that it really detracts from the experience if you're looking to do some quiet exploration although I do admit the Tyn cathedral at night is just gorgeous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or