U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-09-2010, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,227 posts, read 21,091,729 times
Reputation: 2222

Advertisements

My wife and I in a few months will be taking a 1000 mile road trip across the mid US to the east coast to visit family. We have decided to purchase a DVD player so our 21 month old child isn't as bored as she was the last time.

Now this will not be the last time we go traveling; this will happen several more times over the years.

Anyways we are looking at these three DVD players, but we are not sure which one to go with:

Walmart.com: Sylvania 7" Dual-Screen Portable DVD Player in Black, SDVD8730: DVD & Blu-ray Players

Axion 7" Dual Screen Portable DVD player - Black (AXN-6979) : Target

Philips - 7" Widescreen Portable DVD Player with Dual Screens - PET7402/37

Which one would you prefer? We want the best bang for the buck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-09-2010, 06:20 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,346 posts, read 82,968,211 times
Reputation: 17509
Why not just use a laptop? That way you have a DVD player and a PC with you rather than two devices?

You can get tons of movies free online (just google the movie name and "torrent" and have utorrent installed on your PC). Most movies are available in avi format at around 700 megabyte file size so you don't have to download an entire 4.3 gig DVD. The video quality is probably about 90% that of a DVD.

Get an inverter that plugs into your cigarette lighter so you can have 115V AC for all sorts of uses in the car (and on a airplanes too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2010, 06:40 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,847 posts, read 30,345,392 times
Reputation: 22356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
My wife and I in a few months will be taking a 1000 mile road trip across the mid US to the east coast to visit family. We have decided to purchase a DVD player so our 21 month old child isn't as bored as she was the last time.

Now this will not be the last time we go traveling; this will happen several more times over the years.

Anyways we are looking at these three DVD players, but we are not sure which one to go with:

Walmart.com: Sylvania 7" Dual-Screen Portable DVD Player in Black, SDVD8730: DVD & Blu-ray Players

Axion 7" Dual Screen Portable DVD player - Black (AXN-6979) : Target

Philips - 7" Widescreen Portable DVD Player with Dual Screens - PET7402/37

Which one would you prefer? We want the best bang for the buck.
My thoughts are that children should be taught how to travel without being "bored" and without some kind of artificial techno-stimulation. This is a perfect parenting opportunity for you. Run with it.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2010, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,227 posts, read 21,091,729 times
Reputation: 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Why not just use a laptop? That way you have a DVD player and a PC with you rather than two devices?
Not sure I understand this. We were just planning on just having a DVD player on the back side of the headrest so my daughter can watch movies while we travel. How does a laptop play into this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
My thoughts are that children should be taught how to travel without being "bored" and without some kind of artificial techno-stimulation. This is a perfect parenting opportunity for you. Run with it.
So you don't feel it's a good idea to buy a DVD player to keep the kid happy? I mean last time she got real restless and bored just riding along in the car for several hours a day for 2 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,346 posts, read 82,968,211 times
Reputation: 17509
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
My thoughts are that children should be taught how to travel without being "bored" and without some kind of artificial techno-stimulation. This is a perfect parenting opportunity for you. Run with it.

20yrsinBranson
How do you teach them?
What non-electronic suggestions do you have a 21 month old's entertainment on a 1000 mile/65MPH = 16 hour road trip?

Realize there is plenty of positive, beneficial, educational video content available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,346 posts, read 82,968,211 times
Reputation: 17509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Not sure I understand this. We were just planning on just having a DVD player on the back side of the headrest so my daughter can watch movies while we travel. How does a laptop play into this?
For a child that young, holding the laptop won't work. In the past, we have placed the laptop on a flat surface (suitcase, ice chest) on the floor in front or on the seat to the side and it worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 10:31 AM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,847 posts, read 30,345,392 times
Reputation: 22356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
How do you teach them?
What non-electronic suggestions do you have a 21 month old's entertainment on a 1000 mile/65MPH = 16 hour road trip?

Realize there is plenty of positive, beneficial, educational video content available.
I guess you do it the same way parents did it for decades before some genius decided it was SO MUCH EASIER just to plug a kids brain into some kind of mindless drivel for 16 hours.

Traveling with children is nothing new. Not knowing how advanced a particular 21 month old child is, it's hard to say what they are capable of, but CERTAINLY everything should be some kind of learning experience when they are that age, otherwise you are missing a valuable opportunity to teach them something. Even things like.... "Look Snotley, we're going over a bridge", or "Do you see that pretty tree Bratzilla?" or something like...."Look at the cows" or "Look at the boat on the pond" or even "What color is that car?" Of course that requires a parent to be involved and motivated to teach the child something besides push the ON button.

I guess it's just about whether the parent thinks teaching the kid is too much trouble or not. To each his own I guess.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 10:46 AM
 
Location: God's Gift to Mankind for flying anything
5,326 posts, read 11,041,641 times
Reputation: 4146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Which one would you prefer? We want the best bang for the buck.
The question was NOT if it was good or bad to have a DVD player in the car, but which one is the best bang for the buck !!!!

Sounds like you have *actually seen and touch* the ones you mentioned.

So ...
What does it look like in *real life* ?
-- Picture visible form a wide angle of view, or do you have to sit right smack in front of it ?

What do the units sound like, taking into consideration the sounds already there while driving ?
-- Some cars are rather noisy at highway speeds.

How do the screens mount to the back of the front seats?
-- Sturdy ? Easy to mount ?

Now make your choice !!

Just our experience (ours came with the car, mounted in the ceiling).
On long trips, interesting for the kids, all depending on what you play for them.
Our grandsons are under 3 years old and we play the *educational* ones ...
We also have the ones with a lot of songs on them and we all sing with them.
In short, a worthwhile investment, depending on how you use it.
LBNL, since it came WITH the car (van) we can play the sound thru the regular speakers and thus can direct the sound where we need it the most, or ... we can use the head sets (not good for small children ...)

Dual screen ? Good choice since there is no way to mount a single screen where the rear seat can see it comfortably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 02:56 PM
 
12,264 posts, read 18,393,933 times
Reputation: 19082
Can't resist posting this after seeing some of the comments:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 01:24 AM
 
11 posts, read 21,445 times
Reputation: 26
Personally I go with the first one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top