U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 10:59 AM

27,236 posts, read 41,375,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
A big "thank you" to Walmart.

Everytime I go to the Walmart near me ( Minnesota) near I 94 , there are a few semis parked in the corner of their parcking lot and a few campers also.

Thank you, Walmart !
Wal-Mart's "official" policy is "no overnight parking"--even though they're open 24 hours a day.

I don't agree with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 11:01 AM

4 posts, read 32,824 times
charles i can tell that you have never been a driver before by your comment.Before you open your mouth and give a very misleading opinion you should have the experience or the correct information.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:18 AM

1,492 posts, read 6,956,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The California Highway Patrol was asked "Why do you permit these trucks to park in the emergency shoulder?". They twisted the response to "If they fall asleep that is a road danger so they need to sleep". In other words, they didn't answer the question.
Not all signs mean what they say- crazy as it sounds. For instance, in my state it says "2 hr parking" but the 'law' is just Mon - Fri...but there wasn't room on the signs to put all that.

It's standard in the DOT to allow truckers to use the sides of roads to pull over and rest, sleep- doesn't matter.

And as you pointed out- it's not 24/7.....or even during the busiest hours...but in the evening/late at night/early AM.

Perhaps the CHP should petition DOT to change the signs. Oh, WAIT! The state is out of money....so perhaps the CHP should donate their paychecks to have the signs changed.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:20 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,985,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Not all signs mean what they say- crazy as it sounds. For instance, in my state it says "2 hr parking" but the 'law' is just Mon - Fri...but there wasn't room on the signs to put all that.

It's standard in the DOT to allow truckers to use the sides of roads to pull over and rest, sleep- doesn't matter.

And as you pointed out- it's not 24/7.....or even during the busiest hours...but in the evening/late at night/early AM.

Perhaps the CHP should petition DOT to change the signs. Oh, WAIT! The state is out of money....so perhaps the CHP should donate their paychecks to have the signs changed.
How would you interpret this sign? Is it only at night? Only during the day? Tuesdays? Only when the Lakers are playing? Only when Venus and Mars are alright tonight?

Old 05-12-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkinsd View Post
charles i can tell that you have never been a driver before by your comment.
You're pretty perceptive. OK Mr. Smarty Pants, what did I have for breakfast last Tuesday?

Old 05-12-2010, 03:23 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,410,022 times
Quote:
How would you interpret this sign? Is it only at night? Only during the day? Tuesdays? Only when the Lakers are playing? Only when Venus and Mars are alright tonight?
Oh come on, it's clear as day! You can only park there on the second Sunday of the month, but only if it's sunny and never during the winter months. The exception is if the Yankees win the World Series.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:32 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,389,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
When I drove to AZ from here, I noticed that there weren't any places to pull off the highway from San Diego all the way to Phoenix. Just about every single truck stop was closed and the weigh stations were not in service. Doesn't leave many options!
Quote:
Originally Posted by callsnap View Post
It's the lesser of two evils:
I'd rather have an exhausted trucker park on the side of the road where I, as a responsible defensive driver, can reasonably avoid him.
Alternatively, I'm on the road with a drowsy individual piloting 40 tons @ 70 mph, and there's no set of defensive driving skills that can save me.
I agree with both of you.

I noticed that Florida has ample Truck, RV, and car parking for tired travellers and should be commended. The rest of the country is without reasonable rest areas and basically invite tired drivers to either pull over on the side of the freeway or just keep driving.

America relies on truckers for transporting food, supplies, and materials. They should be provided options that benefit everyone.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:56 PM

807 posts, read 2,513,052 times
In any community near a interstate, semi-trucks become a problem. Where I live (N.W. Indiana just outside Chicago) truck problems are a big deal here due to it being one of the worlds busiest truck routes. Truckers cutting though neighborhoods (to avoid traffic jams and a scale), using jake brakes (makes loud noise), parking overnight where they aren't wanted are just some of the problems.

Due to bad behavior in the past, truckers have very few places they can go in the towns off the interstate here. In my town, there are exactly FOUR roads (even most "busier" roads, no trucks are allowed and all residential streets) they are legally allowed to drive on (two are roads you can drive though on, the others the roads in the industrial park). If you leave those roads you will be pulled over and if you don't have a local delivery you will be ticketed.

Most towns here have banned most overnight truck parking and the use of jake braking. Truck stops fill up fast at night here. So parking on the interstate is going to happen. I hear most truckers hate driving though our area. Planning where to stop does work here either due to unpredictable traffic jams putting people way behind schedule.

And since most truckers aren't voters here(since they don't live here), they will get the short end of the stick when it comes to regulations. So it won't be getting better anytime soon.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
So parking on the interstate is going to happen.
So you mean to write that there are no places the truckers can pull off within a 30 mile (half hour) radius? Sure, it might be tough at your exit or the next one, or all of them five miles down the road. But the trucker who plans can predict within an hour or so where he needs to park - and that gives him a whole lot of legal and easy places to pull over.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:17 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,389,408 times
Quote:
So you mean to write that there are no places the truckers can pull off within a 30 mile (half hour) radius?
Sometimes you don't get any warning that you are getting drowsy. You don't recognize the signs until after you've dozed off for a second. 5 minutes can make the difference between life and death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or