U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 09:38 PM

26,346 posts, read 82,993,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Sometimes you don't get any warning that you are getting drowsy. You don't recognize the signs until after you've dozed off for a second. 5 minutes can make the difference between life and death.

OK, there's always 2%. In just about all cases if a person is falling asleep at the wheel it is because they aren't prepared to be driving at that time. They should have never been in that position in the first place.

Who else would be able to make that excuse? Surgeons? Airline pilots? Baseball pitchers? Guess what? They all prepare for their jobs, get enough rest in advance, plan their days and week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 11:24 PM

6,654 posts, read 18,676,383 times
Driving home on I-5 in Northern Calif at 2 AM there was no traffic and I was doing 70-75 mph when I came on a large dark shadow at a fwy overcrossing bridge and in a split sec saw a small fire. I hit the brakes and backed up...got out of the car...walked over to a 18 wheeler that hit the bridge support. Another car stopped and the male person also came over to me. It was a mess and the fire started to spread engulfing the entire rig full of plastics from what I saw. The cab/tractor had hit the abutment and sheared off the side of the first trailer dumping it's load on the ground. The flames did get noticed and sirens were heard with the Ca Hwy patrol on the fwy and Fire truck on top of the bridge from the local close by town. They could not estinguish the blaze and the complete truck etc was engulfed. I gave my name to the Hwy patrol oficer as NOT being a witness but only the first person to arrive at the scene.

Driver fell asleep...end of true story.

Steve

Old 05-13-2010, 04:24 AM

34,377 posts, read 41,463,803 times
I'd rather see truckers parked and snoozing on the side of the road than falling asleep at the wheel trying to make it to some legal sleeping area who knows how far up the road.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:54 AM

27,236 posts, read 41,383,899 times
When your driving time is up, it's up. You don't get a half hour window.

That's why some of these guys rush you to get the dang thing unloaded--that still counts against their "drive time".

As far as the post above about airline pilots (and air traffic controllers) I believe there's a MANDATED rest period, just like for the truckers. You can NOT work 24 hours straight, even if you want to and are prepared to do so.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:53 AM

3,644 posts, read 5,560,756 times
To the OP: Why does this bother you so much? They are parking on the side of the road, not IN the road. Is it because you weave and are afraid you might run in to them when they are off on the side of the road? I just don't understand what the big deal is.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:12 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,993,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
To the OP: Why does this bother you so much? They are parking on the side of the road, not IN the road. Is it because you weave and are afraid you might run in to them when they are off on the side of the road? I just don't understand what the big deal is.
Why are those wide shoulders marked "Emergency Parking Only?"
Do you think it is safe for motorists to pull in and out of traffic from shoulders?

Yes, weaving or ricocheting following a collision into a parked vehicle would be very bad. There are no attenuators on the back of trucks. Most freeway structural components that could be impacted by vehicles have either a guardrail angled to prevent direct impact or attenuators to soften the impact.

Next question?

Old 05-13-2010, 11:33 AM

14,260 posts, read 23,987,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Who else would be able to make that excuse? Surgeons? Airline pilots? Baseball pitchers? Guess what? They all prepare for their jobs, get enough rest in advance, plan their days and week.
Fatigue has been an issue in BOTH the medical and pilot professions. Young doctors - including surgical residents are often expected to work 36 hour shifts - in many large teaching hospitals. Pilots on transcontinental flights have been known to sleep while in teh cockpit.

No matter how much you prepare and sleep, when you start working against the body's normal rhythm (3rd shift in the hospital, overnight driving, etc.), you can run into problems.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:06 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,231,737 times
Why do you guys care if there's a semi on the side of the road? I personally think its completely fine.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:08 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,231,737 times
Quote:

People like you always find a way to complain about something. I don't care who you are, when you are driving for a certain amount of time it makes you tired and it is dangerous. If someone was killed by a driver who fell asleep I'm sure you'd be the first person whining about how they should have just taken a nap instead of kept driving.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:52 PM

4 posts, read 32,825 times
Quote:
You're pretty perceptive. OK Mr. Smarty Pants, what did I have for breakfast last Tuesday?
I really don't care what you had.I drove as a driver and owner operator in four decades starting back in 1972.I believe for a driver to pre plan on where he is going to stop for his sleeper birth is the worst thing he can do.There are too many variables,road conditions,wheather,traffic,etc.etc.etc.When I got tried I went to bed for how long that's another variable.As far as the log book goes you cover your butt to satisfy the Goverment and whoever else it my concern.Just think about it you are tried you need to go to bed before you hit the wall but you haven't made your pre plan destination.Guess what's next? You have just ran somebody over,fatalities or maybe you got lucky and only killed youself. All due to a pre plan destination.Hope you have a good breakfast tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or