U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 07:14 PM

21,380 posts, read 24,170,078 times

Advertisements

Here are the Federal rules:

Hours-of-Service Regulations - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
"Emergency Parking Only".
C - You may want to read the law. An attended vehicle is considered standing and not parked as long as someone is in the vehicle.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:39 PM

26,346 posts, read 83,111,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
If someone was killed by a driver who fell asleep I'm sure you'd be the first person whining about how they should have just taken a nap instead of kept driving.
You're right, I would.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
C - You may want to read the law. An attended vehicle is considered standing and not parked as long as someone is in the vehicle.
Can you point the forum to that documentation?

Old 05-13-2010, 08:59 PM

You would have a case if it stated "Emergency Stopping Only". But it doesn't.

Quote:
Parking is the act of stopping a vehicle right side up and leaving it unoccupied for more than a brief time.

Quote:
Can you point the forum to that documentation?
You should be able to research the definition for your state. Maybe your drivers manual.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
You would have a case if it stated "Emergency Stopping Only". But it doesn't.

You should be able to research the definition for your state. Maybe your drivers manual.

That's a wikipedia definition. Do you have something from a vehicle code?

The California Highway Patrol does roust sleeping truckers who are "stopped" on the shoulder. I would think that if it wasn't illegal, the CHP wouldn't be doing that.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:50 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 1,928,564 times
As someone who has driven cross country in a CAR.. I've pulled over numerous times to doze.. Trust me - it's not easy to find a spot if your not wanting to spend moneuy on a hotel.. i've gone into stores to let management know I would be in my car sleeping and leaving at first light so I don't get a ticket for LOITERING!! (imagine a semi). I've also had to pull off on a side ramp in an emergency to sleep (flat tire... 2 am... you get the picture) (Highway patrol kindly woke me up to let me know that was illegal for safety reasons).
the shoulder of the road is extreme - but theres really not a lot of places that truckers can just pull off of - especially if they are DRIVING and not SURFING the internet to verify..

Many times truckers/cars/RVs/etc are pulled off the side of the road for some sort of emergency.... what if the driver was ill, would you rather he travel on to a "suitable" destination? What if the vehicle was not working properly? To blanket the semis on the side of the road as "sleeping" for the sake of sleeping shows the simple mindedness you are showing.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:39 AM

8,343 posts, read 9,823,119 times
I've got no problem with truckers pulling onto the shoulder to sleep. The space is there, may as well use it. It beats a sleepy driver pushing on to the next rest stop or the next exit and then wandering around trying to find a place to park. Seriously, driving while fatigued is an extreme danger, moreso than parking on the shoulder, and I'd rather they not push their and my luck.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:48 AM

8,343 posts, read 9,823,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
OK, there's always 2%. In just about all cases if a person is falling asleep at the wheel it is because they aren't prepared to be driving at that time. They should have never been in that position in the first place.

Who else would be able to make that excuse? Surgeons? Airline pilots? Baseball pitchers? Guess what? They all prepare for their jobs, get enough rest in advance, plan their days and week.
I was an airline pilot for 10+ years, and flying fatigued is the name of the game in the industry. It's one of the reasons I got out. It's dangerous, and it happens all the time, to the point it's just a part of the job. People don't want to hear it, but it is what it is. The feds don't give a damn, if they did they'd do something about it. For that very reason I have a very, very deep respect the effects fatigue have on performance. Fatigue = #1 threat to transportation safety imo.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
I've pulled over numerous times to doze..
My manual states to pull off onto the shoulder and take a quickee nap. On numerous highways there are either no exits for miles or you sometimes end up in the middle of nowhere.

C - As to your remark, I spoke to friends to work I-80 in California and the only times they will roust a semi driver is either during the daytime near large cities or on a stretch known for trafficking (and if they need to move it will be logged so to cya for federal law). But at night they usually leave them alone as long as they follow the safety protocols (lights, reflectors). They consider it standing and not parking since the vehicle is attended. But as I said before each state defines it differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or