U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 07:46 AM

26,346 posts, read 83,138,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
I've also had to pull off on a side ramp in an emergency to sleep (flat tire... 2 am... you get the picture) (Highway patrol kindly woke me up to let me know that was illegal for safety reasons).

Many times truckers/cars/RVs/etc are pulled off the side of the road for some sort of emergency.... what if the driver was ill, would you rather he travel on to a "suitable" destination? What if the vehicle was not working properly? To blanket the semis on the side of the road as "sleeping" for the sake of sleeping shows the simple mindedness you are showing.
These are all legitimate emergencies so they are all out of scope for this thread.

The thread is referring only to sleeping in the context of meeting the rest requirements for truckers. These periods of sleep are predictable and can be planned and are not "an emergency".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I've got no problem with truckers pulling onto the shoulder to sleep. The space is there, may as well use it. It beats a sleepy driver pushing on to the next rest stop or the next exit and then wandering around trying to find a place to park. Seriously, driving while fatigued is an extreme danger, moreso than parking on the shoulder, and I'd rather they not push their and my luck.

Again, out of scope.

The thread isn't discussing whether truckers should or should not be driving while sleepy. The context of the thread is whether sleeping on the side of the freeway in a clearly marked "Emergency Parking Only" is a legitimate emergency.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I was an airline pilot for 10+ years, and flying fatigued is the name of the game in the industry. It's one of the reasons I got out. It's dangerous, and it happens all the time, to the point it's just a part of the job. People don't want to hear it, but it is what it is. The feds don't give a damn, if they did they'd do something about it. For that very reason I have a very, very deep respect the effects fatigue have on performance. Fatigue = #1 threat to transportation safety imo.

Do airline pilots' schedules (including spacing of duty hours, amount of duty in a given time period, and jet lag) prevent pilots from receiving the minimum required rest as dictated by the FAA? If not, do the FARs need to be rewritten?

Old 05-14-2010, 08:07 AM

21,381 posts, read 24,191,968 times
Quote:
These periods of sleep are predictable and can be planned and are not "an emergency".
And how do plan for a traffic jam? And they pop up everywhere and numerous times for no reason.

As an example, I sat a few years back at a draw bridge on a major highway that was frozen in the open position for "FIVE" hours.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:08 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,491,335 times
I've known many truckers whose boss would laugh at them if they demanded thiose hours off.

When a trucker complained to his boss that he was constantly run ragged from lack of sleep, his sympathetic boss told him he understood but stated --" if we can't get the products there on time, someone else will "

I have known many truckers who have never gotten over 6 consecutive hours of true downtime to sleep.

Those laws and regulations mean very little as there are ways to get around them and the trucking companies know and utilize those.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
And how do plan for a traffic jam? And they pop up everywhere and numerous times for no reason.

As an example, I sat a few years back at a draw bridge on a major highway that was frozen in the open position for "FIVE" hours.
You can't plan for a traffic job, but daily traffic (rush hour for example) is predictable. Other causes of traffic (accidents, road construction) are not predictable. However, what are we talking? Five percent impact? OK, so it won't be easy every day, on every route for every trucker. But for 95% or more of them, planning their routes to provide legal rest areas is not a huge inconvenience or expense. It should be part of a responsible trucker's job. I can't imagine it would take more than 15 minutes of planning per daily trip with an additional ten minutes for contingency (traffic, weather, etc) planning. Does this sound that unreasonable?

Old 05-14-2010, 11:30 AM

2,890 posts, read 5,407,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
These periods of sleep are predictable and can be planned and are not "an emergency".
Ever thought you got a good night's sleep and still find yourself dozing in a meeting, or during a movie that you paid good money to see? Coworkers and freinds will snicker and poke fun at you. People will nudge you to keep you awake, or you get up and get some coffee. Your boss or spouse may even reprimand you. But it doesn't matter, you are still tired.

The thing to remember in both those examples . . . nobody dies because you are sleepy.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Ever thought you got a good night's sleep and still find yourself dozing in a meeting, or during a movie that you paid good money to see? Coworkers and freinds will snicker and poke fun at you. People will nudge you to keep you awake, or you get up and get some coffee. Your boss or spouse may even reprimand you. But it doesn't matter, you are still tired.

The thing to remember in both those examples . . . nobody dies because you are sleepy.

Yes, this is true, and if it (falling asleep while driving) was happening, then this really would be an emergency. However, if it happens on a regular basis, then either someone isn't planning their work and sleep times properly or they have a medical condition. The former is simply irresponsibility and the latter is out of scope with this thread.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:27 PM

21,381 posts, read 24,191,968 times
C - Long haul drivers are not 9-5ers. They do not have a consistent driving schedule. Sometimes they drive in daytime and sometimes nightime. So they are in sort of jet lag all the time. They do plan. They plan the fastest routes. They plan on passing through certain cities at a certain time frame. Because if they don't, there is a 90% of hitting traffic.

Quote:
Top 10 Worst Traffic Cities in the United States For 2009:

1. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana CA
  2. New York-Newark NY-NJ-CT
  3. Chicago IL– IN
  4. Atlanta GA
  5. Miami FL
  6. Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington TX
  7. Washington DC-VA-MD
  8. San Francisco-Oakland CA
  9. Houston TX
  10. Detroit MI

C - When 65 is congested in Alabama (from North Birmingham to Alabaster), Do you really want the truckers redirecting to 31 or 3 so they try to stay on schedule??

Last edited by Pruzhany; 05-14-2010 at 09:49 PM..

Old 05-14-2010, 11:39 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,280,985 times
If it bothers OP soooo much that trucks are stopped on the shoulder of the freeway, where would it bother him less for them to be? Obviously any parking lot is going to be private property and thus off limits. So that only leaves the shoulder of narrower roads. Is that better??? Most people wouldn't think so but perhaps in OP's twisted mind it is.

In any case its extremely unlikely that these trucks are actually staying on the shoulder of the freeway overnight or while they sleep. Sleeping in a truck is already hard enough without having to deal with the noise and motion of passing traffic. They are probably just stopping to wait for instructions from dispatch, or for a berth to open up at the distribution center, or they are eating lunch, or talking to their spouse on the phone. And obviously a truck that is parked for twenty minutes doesn't look any different to someone driving by than a truck that's parked for eight hours, leading someone's overactive imagination to create all sorts of stupid assumptions like OP's did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or