U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 10:08 AM

181 posts, read 268,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I once heard a phrase "Poor Planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part."

In California (other states too?), signs are posted on the wider shoulders of freeways which read "Emergency Parking Only". On these shoulders truckers regularly pull over and appear parked, usually in the evening. Most of the time there are several trucks there. The engines don't appear to be running and the trucks have what look like parking lights illuminated.

I can't prove they are spending hours there sleeping but - they are spending hours there sleeping.

The California Highway Patrol was asked "Why do you permit these trucks to park in the emergency shoulder?". They twisted the response to "If they fall asleep that is a road danger so they need to sleep". In other words, they didn't answer the question.

What message does it send the public when the CHP apparently allows trucks to park illegally on the shoulders instead of insisting the truckers park legally on streets?

LOS ANGELES INJURY LAWYER WINS WRONGFUL DEATH AUTO ACCIDENT CASE: AUTO CRASHES INTO A BIG RIG TRACTOR-TRAILER TRUCK ILLEGALLY PARKED ON THE SHOULDER OF THE FREEWAY- $7 MILLION VERDICT :: Los Angeles Injury Lawyer Blog

The trucks stop here; Truckers say federal rules snag them in a | Sun, The; San Bernardino, Calif. Newspaper | Find Articles at BNET
So what this boils down to, is just like the article you want to blame the truck driver instead of the guy that drove under the truck.Incompetence is a terrible thing,more so when you blame it on others.Now stay off the shoulder of the road and you won't have to worry about hitting anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 10:18 AM

181 posts, read 268,374 times
Quote:
Very true - but that isn't the point.
Like the police, you want ever truck driver to preplan where they are going to stop and rest, so in the perfect world they will all be off the road in a truckstop somewhere.
What happens when a drivers driving time runs out in the middle of the desert and he is still 200 miles from anywhere he can park,the answer to this is he should have stopped 3 hours ago when he passed the last place to park safely.But this is a perfect world, and truck drivers, just like you do not live in a perfect world.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:15 PM

3,359 posts, read 6,539,261 times
Quote:
So don't pull onto residential streets.

What's the probability that within one mile of any freeway off ramp there isn't at least one place for a big rig truck to legally pull over and sleep?

It wouldn't take a lot of analysis using a map to determine areas off the freeways where pulling over is OK. Rural roads, highways with no parking restrictions, industrial areas, commercial areas....basically anything except residential.

Any trucker, a day in advance, could within five minutes, estimate about where he will need to stop and rest. From that location he can use the internet or even 15th century technology (paper maps) to come up with candidate locations to legally stop.

There are all sorts of online tools and GPS POIs which makes this job of finding legal places to pull over a slam dunk.

Truck interstate weigh stations, rest areas, and scales locations

Welcome | Interstate Rest Areas

Welcome to Truck Stops Plus
I can tell you've never drove a big rig before...the probability of not being able to find a legitimate place to park are very very high...

What are you going to do, park on private property and get a ticket?
How dare you insult truckers like that...

Quote:
If it is "often times" then it is "poor planning".

Understood there are occasional situations that a driver can become tired due to unpredictable circumstances. In those cases, it may take an extra five minutes to locate a legal place to pull over.
You can throw that 'poor planning' nonsense out the window...

Again...only a none driver would make such a comment...trucking is not about 'planning'...it's about being fluid and meeting custimors demands...nothing is predictable in trucking...from how long it takes to get loaded at shipper, to traffic, your own health, accidents, breakdowns, delays, inspections ect ect...

Try it for a week...and you'll be embarraced for making such a comment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Charles mentions rural roads.

A semi parked along a rural road would take up nearly half the road.

Few rural roads are built with shoulders wide enough or strong enough to support a loaded semi.
who are these people?

Quote:
Tell you what, you pick a location on any truck route in the US.

I, as a "virtual trucker" planning my trip in advance, will consider that the location I estimate I will need to take a sleep break. So, I will need to find a convenient place, or three convenient places within a half hour of that location.

Go ahead. Within five minutes, I will show you a google maps street view or legitimate rest stop or some place suitable for a truck to pull over and sleep.

It all goes back to the first statement in the first post in this thread: Poor planning does not constitute an emergency.
Sorry, but trucking...real life trucking, the schedual, is not a video game...

You have no idea...again...try it for a week...and you'll eat all the words you just wrote..

Try pulling over and just parking anywhere...and find yourself getting robbed or cops knocking on your door, or tearing up a light pole

Your under tremendious pressure as a driver, to satify client needs...it's not about you or convience or planning...it's about getting custimors product there on time or getting fired....

Brokers, dispatchers, planners...the whole chain, could care less about your 'schedualed rest stops'....million dollar accounts are at stake...

Regardless of what the regs say...

Last edited by Time and Space; 11-10-2011 at 05:27 PM..

Old 11-10-2011, 05:23 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Wal-Mart's "official" policy is "no overnight parking"--even though they're open 24 hours a day.
Is that new? Last I heard, WalMart welcomes travelers who want to sleep in their camper overnight. The few exceptions are the ones where WalMart does not own the parking lot, but only leases store space from an existing mall, or in some urban centers where security could be an issue.

This current website (not Walmart's) still states that RVers are welcome in their lots:

http://www.walmartatlas.com/rv-parking-at-walmart

However, this does not necessarily extend to truckers. The issue could be the load capacity per axle of vehicles in the lot.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-10-2011 at 05:34 PM..

Old 11-10-2011, 05:37 PM

Default Sleeping in a truck is not like sleeping at home in bed..

Sleeping in a truck is not like sleeping at home in bed...

It's very noisey, can be like sleeping in a tent, loud engines idoling next to you...like sleeping next to a P 51 Musting...

Many truck companies have idoling restrictions...which means engine automatically shuts off after 5 minutes...now it's either a steam broiler or a meat freezer...

Your sleep is constantly being interupted by qual com messages...

People pulling next to you pulling air brakes...ect ect...lot lizards and tank polishers constantly knocking on your door....

It's no wonder drivers get tired, drowsy, during driving hours..cause many don't get good rest during sleeping hours...

Last edited by Time and Space; 11-10-2011 at 05:56 PM..

Old 11-10-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I once heard a phrase "Poor Planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part."

In California (other states too?), signs are posted on the wider shoulders of freeways which read "Emergency Parking Only". On these shoulders truckers regularly pull over and appear parked, usually in the evening. Most of the time there are several trucks there. The engines don't appear to be running and the trucks have what look like parking lights illuminated.

I can't prove they are spending hours there sleeping but - they are spending hours there sleeping.

The California Highway Patrol was asked "Why do you permit these trucks to park in the emergency shoulder?". They twisted the response to "If they fall asleep that is a road danger so they need to sleep". In other words, they didn't answer the question.

What message does it send the public when the CHP apparently allows trucks to park illegally on the shoulders instead of insisting the truckers park legally on streets?

LOS ANGELES INJURY LAWYER WINS WRONGFUL DEATH AUTO ACCIDENT CASE: AUTO CRASHES INTO A BIG RIG TRACTOR-TRAILER TRUCK ILLEGALLY PARKED ON THE SHOULDER OF THE FREEWAY- $7 MILLION VERDICT :: Los Angeles Injury Lawyer Blog

The trucks stop here; Truckers say federal rules snag them in a | Sun, The; San Bernardino, Calif. Newspaper | Find Articles at BNET
And with all your 'planning'...

What are you going to do when every rest area you pull into is 'full'....

And truck stops are 'full' also?

Than where would you suggest driver park?

have you ever driven in states, expecially the NE, where parking is very limited?

Where truck parking at rest areas may only have like 10 slots, all filled by 5 pm...you don't leave shipper till 7 pm....now what?

next truck stop is 120 miles away...you've already been up for 19 hours...now what?

Do you drive until you skid across medium...like a Swift driver did, not to long ago...and almost killed me?
Attached Thumbnails
Are truckers sleeping on freeway shoulders an "Emergency"?-035.jpg  

Old 07-28-2016, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 321 times
How far to the right side of the fog line do semi trucks have to park on the interstate in Indiana. 6" 12" 18"???? I really need to find this out and came up with nothing

Old 07-31-2016, 01:23 PM

11,675 posts, read 6,277,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I also can't understand why this would bother someone. It's like driving by and seeing a sign on the side of the road. As long as its not IN the road it doesn't affect me. I see no problem in lettign anyone and everyone pull over to take a break without it having to be an emergency. The only reason cars don't do it is because there is danger of some other driver getting sleepy and running on to you even if you are on the shoulder. For big trucks thats not a factor since it would take another big truck for them to even feel it.
I live in Florida and I can't say I ever remember seeing a truck pulled over on the side of the road. If I did I'm sure it wouldn't bother me at all.
Your guess is as good as mine

Old 07-31-2016, 01:41 PM

668 posts, read 466,808 times
When you run out of your legal 10 hours of drive time you have to stop where you're at. DOT regs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or