Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 07:35 AM

628 posts, read 2,045,076 times

Advertisements

Sometimes you are minutes away from falling alseep behind the wheel. Sure you can try to plan things out but oftentimes you are going to be having that feeling when you hadn't planned to--the only safe solution is to pull over as quickly as possible and take a snooze. My husband doesn't drive semis but he does drive box trucks and every day at a certain rest stop he pulls over and sleeps as he has almost fallen asleep more than once making the trip.

Why do the trucks on the side bother you?

Most residentail/rural highways are not going to have a berm to pull over onto--so what does that leave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 07:37 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlbuffalo1 View Post
oftentimes you are going to be having that feeling when you hadn't planned to--the only safe solution is to pull over as quickly as possible and take a snooze.

If it is "often times" then it is "poor planning".

Understood there are occasional situations that a driver can become tired due to unpredictable circumstances. In those cases, it may take an extra five minutes to locate a legal place to pull over.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:07 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Charles mentions rural roads.

A semi parked along a rural road would take up nearly half the road.

Few rural roads are built with shoulders wide enough or strong enough to support a loaded semi.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:11 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
I think it bothers Charles cuz he doesn't drive semis.

I don't drive semis either, but it doesn't bother me if they are parked completely off a traffic lane. Strange what happens in California bothers an Alabamian.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:17 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Charles mentions rural roads.

A semi parked along a rural road would take up nearly half the road.

Few rural roads are built with shoulders wide enough or strong enough to support a loaded semi.

Tell you what, you pick a location on any truck route in the US.

I, as a "virtual trucker" planning my trip in advance, will consider that the location I estimate I will need to take a sleep break. So, I will need to find a convenient place, or three convenient places within a half hour of that location.

Go ahead. Within five minutes, I will show you a google maps street view or legitimate rest stop or some place suitable for a truck to pull over and sleep.

It all goes back to the first statement in the first post in this thread: Poor planning does not constitute an emergency.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:57 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
I also can't understand why this would bother someone. It's like driving by and seeing a sign on the side of the road. As long as its not IN the road it doesn't affect me. I see no problem in lettign anyone and everyone pull over to take a break without it having to be an emergency. The only reason cars don't do it is because there is danger of some other driver getting sleepy and running on to you even if you are on the shoulder. For big trucks thats not a factor since it would take another big truck for them to even feel it.
I live in Florida and I can't say I ever remember seeing a truck pulled over on the side of the road. If I did I'm sure it wouldn't bother me at all.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:07 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Ah, he's from AL, it all make sense now! I live in a big, populated city. Every single exit of the interstate leads to a very crowded neighborhood. When you take the 5 up to Los Angeles, there is really no place to pull off the highway. It's a very busy stretch of interstate that could take 4 hours of driving during peak travel times. I have no issues with trucks on the side of the road. The biggest hazard on the road is idiot drives, that text, talk on the phone, read the paper, tend to the kids in the back, eat, etc. If you're going to be hit and killed on the road, chances are it will be by a distracted driver. The only possible problem I can see with the truck being parked on the side is that a distracted driver will run into it because they were too engaged in their cell phone conversation. But then, that's worthy of a Darwin award.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:35 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Ah, he's from AL, it all make sense now! I live in a big, populated city. Every single exit of the interstate leads to a very crowded neighborhood. When you take the 5 up to Los Angeles, there is really no place to pull off the highway. It's a very busy stretch of interstate that could take 4 hours of driving during peak travel times. I have no issues with trucks on the side of the road. The biggest hazard on the road is idiot drives, that text, talk on the phone, read the paper, tend to the kids in the back, eat, etc. If you're going to be hit and killed on the road, chances are it will be by a distracted driver. The only possible problem I can see with the truck being parked on the side is that a distracted driver will run into it because they were too engaged in their cell phone conversation. But then, that's worthy of a Darwin award.
Where I live in Arizona we don't have that many roads and the ones we have - off the interstate - are quite narrow. Truckers just don't have a lot of options.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:13 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Where I live in Arizona we don't have that many roads and the ones we have - off the interstate - are quite narrow. Truckers just don't have a lot of options.
When I drove to AZ from here, I noticed that there weren't any places to pull off the highway from San Diego all the way to Phoenix. Just about every single truck stop was closed and the weigh stations were not in service. Doesn't leave many options!

Old 05-12-2010, 10:47 AM

476 posts, read 1,134,858 times
It's the lesser of two evils:
I'd rather have an exhausted trucker park on the side of the road where I, as a responsible defensive driver, can reasonably avoid him.
Alternatively, I'm on the road with a drowsy individual piloting 40 tons @ 70 mph, and there's no set of defensive driving skills that can save me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel