U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 04:56 AM

8,923 posts, read 13,673,018 times

Advertisements

I'm very sorry to hear about your colleague but it sounds like your hatred for this place is stemming from your shock and grief over the accident. Car accidents happen everywhere and while I'm not denying the cab drivers are bad in Istanbul (I honestly don't know what they are like), I would have to see a reliable study done on the matter before I believed they are actually the "worst in the world". There are plenty of other places in the world with terrible cab drivers. I find it's pretty universal that cab drivers aren't exactly known for safe driving. If it worries you, try to find another means of transportation.

It's difficult not to view a location badly when you've experienced such a traumatic event there - the place will forever be associated with a terrible accident to you and that's understandable. But you can't expect other people to feel the same way and you shouldn't be pushing your personal feelings about Istanbul on other people since yours are coming from a very specific experience that doesn't apply to others.

As for not speaking English... what on earth do you expect? It's pretty narrow minded and self righteous to expect most people in a foreign country to speak English. It sounds like you were there for a business trip but it seems like international travel is not for you. You should steer clear of it whenever possible in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 10:06 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,103,642 times
OK guys, I'm very sorry for my earlier comments. I was going through a lot of emotions yesterday, what with all that has happened here so far. I just can't seem to enjoy myself anymore. I actually liked this city a lot during the first few days. Did the whole shopping at the bazaar thing, loved the mosques, and enjoyed nice meals at those nice restaurants by the river. Today, my group is trying to lighten the mood a bit and so we decided to take a boat ride this evening. Hope this will help a bit. Thank you for being understanding.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The one thing that would "get my goat" going to the Mideastern countries would be the annoying calls to prayer everyday. Worse than hearing church bells? All else I could handle.

When I was contemplating a trip to Turkey, and I got on the Travel forums, specifically for Turkey, I read of a couple posters who complained about this issue, complaining, they felt, that the volume is getting louder and louder.

I was once awakened by a call to prayer one very earling morning, in Old Delhi, India.

I had to stop to think: Could I enure this with a happy face spending two weeks over there. 5 calls to prayer a day, I believe?

Aren't I being picky!
You should be more worried about the drivers than the prayer callings, I think. I don't hear any prayer callings where I am.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Well you have a had a bad experience, and in your situation i would say its horrible to. I have a simialr gripe about split in Croatia where if fell victim to the Mafia.

Istanbul is not for every one, and why should they speak english?

Edit:
Turkey remains the best country i have ever visited in my opinion, and i have being to over 50 of them.
OK, so I haven't been to 50 countries but Cape Town remains my best. Turkey (or rather Istanbul) isn't offering anything completely new for someone who lived in Zanzibar for few years.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:51 AM

8,923 posts, read 13,673,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
OK guys, I'm very sorry for my earlier comments. I was going through a lot of emotions yesterday, what with all that has happened here so far. I just can't seem to enjoy myself anymore. I actually liked this city a lot during the first few days. Did the whole shopping at the bazaar thing, loved the mosques, and enjoyed nice meals at those nice restaurants by the river. Today, my group is trying to lighten the mood a bit and so we decided to take a boat ride this evening. Hope this will help a bit. Thank you for being understanding.
I'm glad you realize it's probably just your emotions talking - like I say, it's understandable, given the recent tragedy. I hope things start looking up.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:59 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,973,037 times
Quote:
No apologies necessary after that traumatic event. The drivers in Turkey (especially Istanbul) are crazy aggressive! And the food is quite limited.

Maybe you should stop by a hamam (turkish bath) and sweat away some tension before you leave. I really appreciate Turkey for being the most moderate Muslim nation, and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. A very, very distinct culture.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:02 AM

55,668 posts, read 74,646,551 times
nobody seems to speak english here
are you talking about istanbul or DC?

Old 05-13-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
nobody seems to speak english here
are you talking about istanbul or DC?
Istanbul.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I'm glad you realize it's probably just your emotions talking - like I say, it's understandable, given the recent tragedy. I hope things start looking up.
Thanks PA, you've been wonderful. Shame I can't rep you.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:45 PM

15,891 posts, read 15,304,220 times
Quote:
I find this city horrible. Food is horrible, too much crowd everywhere I go, and the drivers in this city are the worst in the world. My colleague was killed instantly -together with the taxi driver- in a horrific accident yesterday. I mean really, a person that sits across you everyday in a conference suddenly vanishes just like that. I'm so done with this place. Sheesh, I almost got run over by a bus today. Definitely not coming back here anymore.

I can't wait to go back to my sweet, laid back, decent Washington DC. For real.

PS: Oh, and nobody seem to speak English here, soo..
Gee. They don't speak English in Istanbul. How awful. How many folks in DC speak Turkish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel