U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 06:06 PM

302 posts, read 990,014 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here have any experience in travel in Turkey(not including Istanbul), Georgia, or Armenia? My next trip(whenever I do it) will be flying into Armenia then into Georgia, Turkey, Greece, Italy, and ending up in Spain. I'm just wondering about what to avoid/watch out for, ease of travel in this area, etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 09:53 AM

507 posts, read 601,152 times
I'm actually doing a pretty similar trip in 3 weeks. I'll be starting in Armenia then going to Azerbaijan, Georgian, Turkey, maybe Syria (it depends on getting a visa), Greece, and Bulgaria. If you have any questions about what I've planned out so far, I can try to answer those. I'm also interested in seeing if anyone else has done or is planning on doing this.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:36 AM

3,286 posts, read 10,586,079 times
Both of those trips sound amazing, I'd love to hear about them (either what you've planned or after you come back).

I'm currently working on a trip to Turkey

Old 05-17-2010, 10:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,398 times
Terrorist violence and street crime occur. Incidents of pickpocketing, mugging, and theft from cars are on the rise. Do not show signs of affluence. It is advisable to carry a photocopy of your passport and to leave another one with a relative or a friend at home. Passports and valuables should be kept in safe-keeping facilities. Otherwise all is well, enjoy your self.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:03 AM

351 posts, read 1,720,072 times
What a fabulous trip!

Turkey: Start in Istanbul, see the sights in Sultanahamet, don't forget Dolmahabce Palace and do try to hit Princes Islands, if you can. Head down to Ephesus, up to Cappadocia, making sure you hit Pamukkale while you're at it. I haven't gone east from there, but would love to.

In Georgia.... where to start? I live there for over a year and loved it. Get to the Stalin museum in Gori (and the coast is worth a visit, too, although I never got there). I recommend a drive up the military highway for the views and the infrastructure. From Tbilisi, then focus on going east, for the day and for longer. Kakheti is a great destination, and the vinyards, countryside and wineries are a fun loop to do.

Rustavi is well-worth a trip, to see what the Soviet "city of mixed zoning" an industrialization looks like. Approach it from Tbilisi, drive through it, and head to the back, to the industrial complex. Behind that are fields, and a Soviet listening post (it looks like they're growing communications towers as crops). The formerly "closed city" is now open, and still lived in but definitely derelict, and will give you a good glimpse of the Cold War.

If you look yonder to the hills, drive up it on to the higher plateau, where the military used to train. It's a fabulous cross country experience. You can head to (or from) an old church/monastery up in the plains.

I strongly recommend hiring a car and driver and getting off the beaten path to see the countryside. It is fabulous! Have a good time!

Old 05-22-2010, 08:31 AM

12 posts, read 37,821 times
Firs of all for your Turkey trip,you can start İstanbul.Then if you see natural beauties and more relaxed and small city,you should see Bolu,far from İstanbul about 4 hours,full of green,(natural park:Abant Lake,Gölcük,Yedigöller..etc.)

Old 06-05-2010, 07:13 AM

14 posts, read 143,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shallythomas.thomas284 View Post
Terrorist violence and street crime occur. Incidents of pickpocketing, mugging, and theft from cars are on the rise. Do not show signs of affluence. It is advisable to carry a photocopy of your passport and to leave another one with a relative or a friend at home. Passports and valuables should be kept in safe-keeping facilities. Otherwise all is well, enjoy your self.

I don't know about Georgia and Turkey, but you can feel pretty safe in Armenia. Especially in Yerevan, you don't see any of the mentioned.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:45 AM

1 posts, read 339 times
Smile About Georgia and Armenia

never was in Turkey but heard it is awesome! Was in Georgia in love with its cuisine. Armenia is beautiful and colorful too. In both countries you can feel absolutely safe and happy. People are warm and hospitable. You will enjoy.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:17 AM

2,585 posts, read 3,730,554 times
I've been to Istanbul and Tbilisi for long weekend trips. They remain two of my favorite cities I've been to.

Both are safe for the most part, although Istanbul has experienced terrorist attacks over the past few years. Both cities are very interesting and the people are very welcoming. Istanbul is several times larger than Tbilisi and historically more important so there's much more to see in the city. I enjoyed it much more than Rome.

Old town Tbilisi is definitely worth checking out and Georgia, being a compact country, is easy to explore via the numerous dirt cheap tour groups you can book with. I second the recommendation that you see Gori. Also check out Mskheta, Stepantsminda, and many other places. I was really amazed at the depth of history and culture of the region. It's likely one of the most underrated tourism destinations in the world.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:49 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,183,188 times
I have been to the Ephesus area of Turkey and loved it. I felt very safe and found the people very helpful. That area of Turkey is beautiful and full of historical sites.

While I have never been to either Georgia or Armenia, both are high on my list of places I want to go.

I do have a friend who spent a week in Armenia. The main point I remember him making is the roads outside the larger cities are pretty poor. He also recommended having a local driver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or