Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,809 times

Advertisements

Hi, everybody -

My girlfriend and I are heading to Stockholm from June 14th-21st. After that, we have a week to spend in a European city of our choice. It's our first time over there. We want to ask you folks for your advice on which city to choose.

We're looking for a city that would involve and immerse us for a week, but are aware of our own shortcomings as travelers: we don't speak fluent French or Spanish quite yet, and we have fairly standard interests - the arts, the food, the general flush of urban life. We're both 24, and afterward, will be moving back to New York. (We love the East Village, if that adds some depth to our perspective and sensibilities.)

We immediately thought of London because there would be no language barrier. But Europe is such an embarassment of riches - we simply don't know what would provide the most varied and accessible cultural experience. We're also thinking about Paris, Madrid, Prague.

We know we can't really go wrong, but were hoping to figure out what would be the most right.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 10:11 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,397 times
Rome might be quite a good choice.

1. Since you will have already spent a week in Northern Europe, it would be good to have some time in a Southern Europe city.
2. Southern Europe is generally less expensive than Northern (Sweden is particularly expensive).
3. Always plenty to do in Rome - lots of history, arts and food. And easy to get around.
4. You could take a day-trip to Florence from Rome (the fastest train service will get you there in 90 mins). Ideally, Florence deserves more than a day, but a day is better than nothing!
5. You'll need a day for Vatican City too!
6. You won't need to worry about the language... most of the people you'll need to speak to (hotel/restaurant staff, store staff etc.) will speak enough English to get you by! A lot of tourist signs etc. are provided in English too.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-07-2010, 10:29 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Comments inserted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfmickley View Post
Hi, everybody -

My girlfriend and I are heading to Stockholm from June 14th-21st. After that, we have a week to spend in a European city of our choice. It's our first time over there. We want to ask you folks for your advice on which city to choose.

Just one city only ?? And why *of your choice* ? Somebody controlling all your other travels ?

We're looking for a city that would involve and immerse us for a week, but are aware of our own shortcomings as travelers: we don't speak fluent French or Spanish quite yet, and we have fairly standard interests - the arts, the food, the general flush of urban life.

Why only mention French or Spanish ? Were you thinking of a city in France or Spain only ?

We're both 24, and afterward, will be moving back to New York. (We love the East Village, if that adds some depth to our perspective and sensibilities.)

What does this have to do with visiting a city in Europe ?

We immediately thought of London because there would be no language barrier.

Unlike most Americans who only speak one language, Europeans, more than usual, do speak English rather well, although they might not admit it. So I would not worry about a *language barrier* !

But Europe is such an embarassment of riches -

Embarassment ????

we simply don't know what would provide the most varied and accessible cultural experience. We're also thinking about Paris, Madrid, Prague.

I would choose a country or city that would interest you just from *reading about it*. Then just go and *do the town*, and the surroundings.
I would go to Madrid, you did mention that you do not speak Spanish *FLUENT* quite yet (your words) , so you can get by ???
Lots of art (the PRADO), beautiful old buildings (almost everywhere), history (if you are interested), good food (not the tex mex kind you find here in the southwest of the USA), and very interesting places (the Alhambra, Toledo and some other cities) all within a few hours (day trips) on the bus.
Where else in the world do you have three lane roads with cars driving 5 abreast ... ????

Since you are both still young .... I would choose some small hotel, rather then a swanky looking place.

We know we can't really go wrong, but were hoping to figure out what would be the most right.

Thank you!
London, although it does have some interesting places, in my book not a good place to get *good food* ...
Paris ?? Not my choice. Used to work there ....
Prague ... Been there only once, and *not half bad* ...

Maybe somebody else will give another suggestion ?

Old 05-07-2010, 10:55 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
Prague is a great city, definitely. I love it, I lived there for the better part of a year. I don't know though, that I if I had to choose only one city to see, that I would want it to be Prague. For most people, a week would be more time than necessary to see the highlights.

If I had to pick one city, Rome would definitely be my top choice. Its very different from Stockholm, and there's more than enough to do for a week. You won't really need to worry about the language problem here, as with most western European cities. Plenty of people will speak enough English for basic communications. Learn to say please and thank you.

If not Rome, probably the next on my list would be Paris, Berlin, and London.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:22 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,764,928 times
I recommend you:

Paris
Barcellona
Budapest
Amsterdam
Rome
London

These are my choises

Old 05-08-2010, 03:28 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,861,934 times
My wife and I spent ten days in Paris and thought it was fantastic. That was the only place we went on that trip, as we had only ten days leave from work.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:02 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,627 times
Rome or Florence

Old 05-09-2010, 02:11 PM

53 posts, read 251,299 times
It's like I'd ask you where to spend my holidays in the US. Which city to visit? NY, Washington, Frisco, Miami........?

Old 05-09-2010, 02:54 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
I recommend you:

Paris
Barcellona
Budapest
Amsterdam
Rome
London

These are my choises
I notice Milan is not on your list.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:55 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Athens - Probably not the best time
Moscow
Lisbon
Venice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel