Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:58 AM

512 posts, read 1,434,892 times

Advertisements

hello all,
for our honeymoon in November (about 11 days), we were planning on going to australia or new zealand from the D.C. area........pros are unlmimited, but the cons included a long long flight, and about 8k for two people once it's all said and done (including everything IF we're lucky)

so, we decided to look at Machu picchu. it costs about 1600 for air and hotel and taxes and etc. for one person.....and you see 3 cities.......i'm now not so sure about this idea......

anyone have any better ideas? we love the beach but we also love adventure. our budget: 4k total including air, hotel, food, activities.
we are 30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 12:12 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
We did a road trip through Europe for our honeymoon in 2008. Both trips sound great, but I would much rather go to Australia. Yea, the flight is long, but it's such an amazing place and kind of a once in a lifetime trip. Oh, and congrats on your marriage!

Old 04-27-2010, 12:22 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
I would highly recommend New Zealand (never been to Aus I'm afraid): Endless scenery, lots of indoor (ie; museums, shopping, wining and dining!) and outdoor activities, friendly people. Bear in mind, you may never get another chance to do this trip . . .

Old 04-27-2010, 12:38 PM

502 posts, read 1,735,645 times
We just did a 20th anniversary trip to Playa del Carmon in Mexico - just south of Cancun. We stayed in a 5 star all-inclusive which was wonderful. First time for us in an all-inclusive, and it was all I had heard. It was the best vacation we have ever been on.

Nearby was shopping in Playa del Carmon. There were several adventure type parks - rip lines, atv's, snorkeling, scuba. We didn't do them, but talked with people that did and loved it. Mayan ruins are nearby - tulum is 40 minutes away and beautiful. Xcaret is an eco-park. There is fishing trips that can be booked. Plenty to do. We will definitely be going back.

You should be able to do a very nice trip for your budget. We spent about $2400 for 6 nights including air during a school vacation week.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:19 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
From Mr. UnRomantic, Mr. Cheap, and Mr. Boring here: Take the $8K and stick it in an S&P 500 mutual fund. That's a lot of money. In 14 years that may be $32K. Could you find something to do that would be just as much for for $1000? That $8K can help on a house down payment, get your (future?) kids started on a college education, help buy a car.....or you can go on an 11 day vacation.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:28 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
If your budget is $4k for two people than you will never make it to Australia and NZ.

I have flown from the east coast many times down to OZ and NZ, and even bargain shopping and flying off season including the east coast flights to Los Angeles and taxes and fees my airfare has been coming out to $1500-$1700 each time. There goes your 3/4 of your budget right there. Also the travel time from START at the airport to the FINISH(most people only look at flight time) it has usually come out to around 30-36 hours of travel from the time I leave my home on the east coast until the moment I walk out the door in Auckland or Sydney Airport.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:57 PM

628 posts, read 2,044,707 times
Italy--seriously--or a cruise --love cruising!

Old 04-27-2010, 02:08 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
Or . . . what about Belize? Snorkeling, scuba diving and fishing are all available on the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world plus Mayan ruins and eco-tours on the mainland to explore. And if you don't dive now, you've got 6 months to learn.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:39 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,319,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
If your budget is $4k for two people than you will never make it to Australia and NZ.

I have flown from the east coast many times down to OZ and NZ, and even bargain shopping and flying off season including the east coast flights to Los Angeles and taxes and fees my airfare has been coming out to $1500-$1700 each time. There goes your 3/4 of your budget right there. Also the travel time from START at the airport to the FINISH(most people only look at flight time) it has usually come out to around 30-36 hours of travel from the time I leave my home on the east coast until the moment I walk out the door in Auckland or Sydney Airport.

That sounds about right, my experience also. If you can afford a little more money..NZ is AWESOME!!! It is DEFINITELY a bucketlist, if not on the list for your Honeymoon, trust me!!! I LOVE NZ. Can't speak on OZ, have wanted to go, but never made it...Yet!

Old 04-27-2010, 10:50 PM

302 posts, read 590,590 times
How about Hawaii? Pick two of the most popular islands: oahu, big island, maui, and kauai. Great beaches, water sports, hiking, good food, etc. Just beautiful... stay in a condo to save some money. It's popular for honeymoons and weddings for a reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel