Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 06:57 AM

531 posts, read 2,899,152 times

Advertisements

My wife's 40th b-day is next August and we're trying to find a nice get away on an island somewhere for a 3 night stay. We've never really done this sort of thing--most of our vacations are go go go, see everything there is to see, etc. But for this one we want to take it easy and just relax. I'm not at all familiar with the Carribean or any similar areas so have no clue as to where to even begin. So I'm hoping to get some suggestions. We are not party types, at all! We want quiet...a resort would probably be best as well...We'd definitely like some place that's a bit "luxurious" as well...not necessarily top of the line, but noticeably nice & fairly modern, although not too too expensive. Any suggestions would be greately appreciated, we're based in New Jersey so something that is not too long of a flight as well. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 07:35 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,025 times
My first choice would be Playa del Carmen, Mexico. Fly into Cancun and a short ground transfer to a nice resort along the Mayan Riviera.

While I don't care for the Bahamas personally, it does offer a quick "tropical" getaway. You could fly directly to Nassau or Freeport and stay at a resort nearby.

Another option would be one of the nicer hotels near or in San Juan, PR. While not a beach resort, the Hotel El Convento in Old Town is beautiful, and just a short bus or cab ride away from the beach.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:52 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I'm not crazy about the Bahamas either.
You might look into the British Virgin Islands (I actually liked them better than St Thomas or St John.) The BVI, when we were there, were a nice mixture of natural beauty and amenities, but very unpretentious.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:15 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
Bermuda is a short flight and we found it to be very quiet. It is also easy to get around since you probably would take the bus/ferry. You can get a 3-day bus pass and use it for both the bus and ferry. I think you will find Bermuda to be safer than some of the other Caribbean countries and I say that because I own a home in one of them. The down side is that food is expensive. Beaches are nice, people are friendly, and there is some sightseeing if you are interested.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:59 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I'm not crazy about the Bahamas either.
You might look into the British Virgin Islands (I actually liked them better than St Thomas or St John.) The BVI, when we were there, were a nice mixture of natural beauty and amenities, but very unpretentious.
I love the BVI and also prefer USVI to PR. However, the OP seemed to be looking for a location that is quickly & easily accessible, and I've found getting to the BVI especially can be a bit more work and more costly. If I only had 3 days, I don't think it'd be worth the extra travel time/cost/hassle to get to the BVI.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:28 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,471,232 times
Ambergris Caye, Belize. Snorkeling, scuba, stay all-inclusive or eat at the Mom and Pop places in town. Friendly people and the best rum (One Barrel). Drive a golf cart around town. Feels like a foreign country but everyone speaks English for the most part.
Playa del Carmen Mexico. Really starting to feel touristy but great for a relaxing time and beginning traveler. Much smaller clubs than Cancun, with an older crowd. Caution: will cause you to long for more travel experiences. Don't miss Xel-Ha natural water park. Look it up online.

Both places will make you wish you could stay longer. Just getting anywhere will take the better part of a day. Any possibility of stretching your stay a few days?

Old 09-14-2009, 08:57 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,288,802 times
Aruba is perfect for you. When we lived in Jersey, we went there. The flight is direct and fairly short. Great weekend destination from NJ.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:20 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
I love the BVI and also prefer USVI to PR. However, the OP seemed to be looking for a location that is quickly & easily accessible, and I've found getting to the BVI especially can be a bit more work and more costly. If I only had 3 days, I don't think it'd be worth the extra travel time/cost/hassle to get to the BVI.
Hmm. Yes. You're right.
We went to the BVI from Denver, Colorado.
It was about the same as going to Nantucket, which I do admit takes some time and money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
Just getting anywhere will take the better part of a day. Any possibility of stretching your stay a few days?
I agree.
If you don't want tropical, you can just come here to Amelia Island.
It's subtropical.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:56 PM

702 posts, read 3,010,615 times
I second Bermuda, a very short 1.5 hour flight from New York. Bermuda has the most amazing water I've ever seen. The beaches are also incredible with pink sand. There's a resort there called 9Beaches where they have cabins that jut out onto the water. Some even have floor panels that look into the water. I haven't been to the resort so I can speak from experience but it just looks cool. Good luck!

Old 09-17-2009, 01:15 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,998 times
You could also look into one of the Florida Keys. My parents were huge fans of the Sonesta on Key Biscayne, you felt like you were further away than 30 minutes from the Miami airport. They went there for their anniversary weekends for years. They'd just take a cab to-from the airport and walk to a few restaurants near the hotel (or eat in the hotel). I remember there being good Argentinian and Cuban places, as well as a bakery for breakfast. It's easy to get direct flights, whereas a lot of islands you'll have to transfer or pay much more to get there. From Philly it's about a 2-hour flight, so from NJ it shouldn't be much more.

Unfortunately that particular resort has changed to private residences (I think). The only other places I know of on the island are the Ritz and then Silver Sands, which is nice but more "motel" looking (the interior pictures look nice though). The restaurants I mentioned are on Crandon Blvd, about a block away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel