U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:40 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,753,671 times

Advertisements

You can also look for travel partners in forums like bootsnall or thorntree, I sometimes see threads in there for single women looking for other single women for travel partners for certain leg of journey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 03:11 AM

2,024 posts, read 2,998,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I love travelling alone. I do just what I want and I don't have to please anyone but me.
Me too. You never have to compromise, you can be impulsive and change plans, be flexible, etc.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:11 AM

8,266 posts, read 10,753,671 times
Traveling alone definitely has advantages, but having a partner has some nice bennies too:
- watch my backpack, I'm going to use the bathroom before we get on the bus
- take a picture of me with the temple behind me
- crap I need to find an ATM, can you spot me 10 bucks for lunch I'll get you back this afternoon
- thank goodness there wasn't an open seat next to me where that guy could have sat
etc.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:19 AM

1,785 posts, read 3,034,383 times
Deef1 has it right. The whole thing about travelling alone is to plan ahead on what you want to see and do in the city you are going to. I have been going places myself for years. If I had waited all this time for a friend to come along with me (either from lack of money, getting time off from work, etc.), I would never have had the experiences I so enjoyed.

There are always so many things to do at your own pace. And if you are tired from the previous day and just want to chill at a pool, you are not letting anyone down. It's the beauty of solo travel. Seriously, go enjoy yourself. I have been to Dubai, Tahiti, Bali, Thailand, and through-out the US and Europe on my own. The new friends I have met have been priceless. Have a great time!

Old 05-25-2010, 07:06 PM

179 posts, read 490,002 times
I travelled around Poland, Ukraine, and Romania solo in 07 - it was fantastic!!! I loved doing what I wanted whenever I wanted, with no worries as to "is the other person bored" "why are they dragging me here", etc. I agree with other posters that some people thought it was strange, but I never ran into anyone that was rude about it. Actually, quite the contrary - being a single female was a great boon to me - men were happy to help me with my heavy suitcases around (I don't really travel Europe the typical way of backpacking - way too many shoes and makeup I just couldn't leave behind ), and many women themselves felt comfortable to help me with directions, or share their train compartment with me if they were alone, or go on excursions with. To this date, I still keep in contact with a girl I met, and I don't think I would have had half as many opportunities as I did had I been travelling with anyone else.

Do it, be safe, have fun!

Old 05-25-2010, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 918 times
I myself just turned 30 and am looking to travel but its quite expensive solo and nerves about big cities and will I really do anything after dark is scaring me off of it. Spoke to travel agency they just want to put me on a cruise ship. Ive done that. So I'm probably cop out and take a trip to baton rouge and call that my vacation. Have fun with whatever you do.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:48 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,053,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy45 View Post
I myself just turned 30 and am looking to travel but its quite expensive solo and nerves about big cities and will I really do anything after dark is scaring me off of it. Spoke to travel agency they just want to put me on a cruise ship. Ive done that. So I'm probably cop out and take a trip to baton rouge and call that my vacation. Have fun with whatever you do.
Krissy45...don't settle for something less than you want to do. Seriously...daytime sightseeing is pretty safe as long as you aren't putting yourself in a risky area. It would be the nightlife I would be more concerned with but as I stated earlier, there are tour type activities that give you some fun at night in a group setting to provide a more safe environment. I am surprised your travel agent didn't suggest any. Where is it you wanted to go?? There are a lot of people here on this CD site that can make some safe suggestions based on their own experiences. Where do you want to go, what do you want to accomplish? Don't just settle...Go enjoy yourself! Fill us in and we can make some suggestions for you to check out before you settle for something less than what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or