U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 05:53 PM

41 posts, read 139,251 times

Advertisements

I am in my early-20s and am planning to travel to Los Angeles for a week this summer. I would rather go with someone, but, at the same time, I'm glad that I get to do whatever I want.

For those who have traveled alone (& not just for business), do you think it was worth the money, or do you wish you had waited until someone *might* have been able to go with you?

Also, what are your suggestions regarding enjoying the nightlife, when in an unfamiliar city alone? I don't drink or stay out particularly late (I'm tired by 11 p.m.), but I would like to see some plays, go out to a nice restaurant, etc.

Thanks for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 06:28 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,925,492 times
Do a search on traveling solo.
This topic has been brought up many times here.
I enjoy occasionally traveling alone. I can do what I want, when I want to do it.
I would research entertainment beforehand, and consult with the staff where I am lodging. I tend to not drink very much when traveling alone; I just want to remain in control--but obviously it is easy to have a good time without imbibing too much.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:36 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,419,061 times
I'm in my 20s as well and I know exactly what you're going through! I've always been a traveler and never found friends that wanted to go anywhere, so I had to do it alone. Then, I met my husband and I finally have a travel partner for life.

That said, I'm very familiar with the club/bar scene in LA. I highly discourage excessive drinking and wouldn't accept drinks from strangers (I know, I sound like your mother, but it's so true!). Don't tell anyone where you are staying and that you're traveling alone. Maybe meet some girlfriends during your daytime activities that you can hang out with at night.

I wouldn't wait to go just because you 'might' find people to go with later on. I find that most people that claim to be travelers either go on one trip a year or refuse to leave the country. Travel alone, be aware of your surroundings, and enjoy every minute of it!

Old 05-16-2010, 09:39 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,242,811 times
My mom has to go out traveling for work a lot on her own. She used to have issues with going out to dinner alone etc, but I explained to her that its actually quite enjoyable. She went out once and actually ended up enjoying herself.

She has never had any issues with traveling or anything dangerous. She did admit that when she first started traveling she didn't have much street smarts due to lack of traveling.

Just stay smart and you'll be just fine. I'm a guy who traveled a lot in South America and trust me, its more dangerous for a white guy to be there than it is a girl traveling alone in South America. Keep your head on your shoulders and you'll be just fine.

I personally hate traveling with people, I prefer to go alone 100% I'm not the recluse type I just like to be able to do whatever I want, when I want and not have to worry about someone else. I've met many interesting people in my travels that I probably wouldn't have met if I would have gone with friends. good luck with everything

Old 05-18-2010, 12:03 PM

8,255 posts, read 11,121,603 times
Take tours-Grey Line tours,walking tours, foodie tours. You'll expand your knowledge and meet people at the same time. Google Walking Tours LA- you'll find a number of listings. Traveling by yourself is the BEST! Have a great trip!

Old 05-18-2010, 03:17 PM

4,805 posts, read 20,242,216 times
I've almost always traveled alone, and I love it. I really can't imagine having to plan a trip around someone else's schedule or desires. What a hassle. Traveling alone is so much better--I can see what I want to see, spend money on what I want to and skimp on other things I'm not interested in. Even when I've traveled with other people, I've always had to schedule in some alone time.

Dining can be hard, alone. Some restaurants treat solo diners fantastically, others are pretty rude. Unfortunately there's no way to tell which one is which beforehand. Going out can be kind of hard too, if you are not a very outgoing person who can meet other people in those circumstances.

Getting into plays or music performances can sometimes be easier--oftentimes the venue has one random seat they can't sell because everyone else is attending in pairs or groups. I've gotten some good seats to otherwise sold-out premieres and shows that way.

Hostels are a great place for solo travelers--its a great place to meet other travelers, make friends, and sometimes join them for outings, without having to commit to spending your entire trip with them. Although the hostel scene LA is pretty grungy, not as nice as in other cities.

I'm actually quite taken aback the few times people have commented that my solo traveling is odd or unusual. It has never occurred to me to not do anything in my life because I haven't had someone to do it with.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:21 PM

94 posts, read 308,875 times
I should not be advertising this as I think it's pretty crazy myself but I went on yelp talk thread and asked if anyone wanted to meet me up for dinner since I was traveling alone. A yelp elite member responded and we met up for dinner. We became friends and kept in touch via yelp

Old 05-19-2010, 02:17 PM

1,169 posts, read 3,400,995 times
I went to Milano (Italy) by myself a few years ago. Husband met me a few days later (he was at a trade show in adjacent country). It was the best time I've ever had. I went where I wanted, did what I wanted, and had a great time. Spent an hour talking with an old Italian guy in his wine shop about which wine he recommended I try. Never had a Barolo before, and he gave an excellent suggestion. Great time. I love going places by myself.
LA has some good and bad parts though, so be careful.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:49 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,047,926 times
Traveling alone is not so bad. If you plan appropriately you can set aside some Tour stuff that allows you to intermingle with people and meet others to do some nightlife with, while keeping other time to yourself. Again, research the area and plan ahead by cking into tours that will keep you safe during the nightlife fun...such as a pub crawl, or ghost tours, etc. Fun stuff but done in a group setting to keep you protected. GO...ENJOY...HAVE A BLAST and MAKE MEMORIES with LOTS OF PICS!!!!

Old 05-24-2010, 05:58 PM

13,890 posts, read 25,331,777 times
I love travelling alone. I do just what I want and I don't have to please anyone but me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or