U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 05:59 PM

5,739 posts, read 12,446,126 times

Advertisements

On May 28 I will be driving from Orlando, FL to Las Vegas, NV. I'm going to take the Florida Turnpike to I-75, where I will then pick up I-10 and follow it all the way to Phoenix, AZ and pick up Route 93 in Wickenburg and 93 will take me right into Vegas

So a majority of my trip will be along I-10. My father used to be a trucker and told me it would take an entire day to go through the state of Texas, almost 900 miles he said. But is there anything I can expect on I-10, like anything weird, any animals I should be concerned about like coyotes if Im out at night?

According to Google maps, I'll pass through the cities of Mobile, Biloxi, New Orleans, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso, Las Cruces, Tucson, and Phoenix

Anything worth stopping and photographing in any of these places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 06:45 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
According to Google maps, I'll pass through the cities of Mobile, Biloxi, New Orleans, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso, Las Cruces, Tucson, and Phoenix

Some ideas:
  1. Baton Rouge, LA - Good restaurants and the LSU Rural Life Center.
  2. Atchafalaya, LA - A short exit off I-10 puts you into some great swamplands witha lot of photo ops.
  3. Lafayette, LA - great restaurants.
  4. Fabens, TX - Cattleman's Ranch at Indian Wells - great steaks.
  5. Tucson, AZ - Saguaro Sational Forest
  6. Tucson, AZ - Mothball USAF fleet - graveyard of thousands of planes.
  7. Tucson, AZ - Arizona Sonora Desert Museum.
  8. Las Cruces, NM - drive between El Paso and Las Cruces through all of the pecan fields. Guadalupe NP is also worth a few pictures.
I am not saying that these are the best, just that they are interesting,

One thing to remember about I-10. The Louisiana border to El Paso is the same distance as EL Paso to Los Angeles.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:37 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,664,473 times
Animals to watch out for?

YES! Keep your eyes open for deer west of San Antonio. They're EVERYWHERE...MILLIONS OF THEM!

Old 05-19-2010, 02:33 PM

42,837 posts, read 79,065,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Sure! Me - 6 miles N of I-10 in Tucson!

Seriously, if I were you and had time and money, I'd stop by for a day or two in almost all cities along the way. In Tucson I would suggest at least a drive up to Mt. Lemmon (you'll never, ever, see vegetation changing from cacti to evergreens in 1 1/2 hour anywhere else) or visiting Sabino Canyon. Since you'll be sick of driving by that time, Sabino Canyon might be alright - just to give you a taste of the unique Sonoran desert and the saguaros. That's what it looks like:

Sabino Canyon Pictures March 2010

Both will get you out of your way, though. Maybe the fastest little glimpse you can get would be by getting off I-10 at Speedway Blvd and head West on it for a while. If you have time or desire, you can keep going until you reach Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum or the Old Tucson Studios (if you care for Westerns).

Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum

Old Tucson Studios

Have fun! I've always wanted to drive cross-country at least once, but I doubt it'll ever happen... Takes a long time - even one-way.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:34 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,199,829 times
We drove that route 10 years ago to Phoenix. The only problem we had was the very unfortunate timing of driving through Houston during rush hour. Avoid it at all costs. It was horrible.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:31 PM

14,242 posts, read 44,911,592 times
If you don't have AAA, you might want to consider joining. The map package and tour books they will give you are worth the price of admission, will have good info on where to stay along the trip. Towing could be very handy too.

I agree that you want to time your arrival in Houston and similar large cities so you don't hit rush hour.

Don't beat yourself up, take a rest break from time to time.

A hand-held CB might be worth having so you can hear what the truckers have to say.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:48 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,709,129 times
Two cool things near I-10 in Arizona:
- Kartchner Caverns is about 10 miles off I-10, amazing
- City of Tombstone, I think about a 20 mile zag, tourist trap but who doesn't like to play cowboy?

Don't forget to check out that bridge they are building way up in the sky near the Hoover Dam.

Best of luck on your trip, have fun, stay safe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or