U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:44 PM

7,526 posts, read 7,211,529 times

Advertisements

I believe that's the same place we stayed at! Definitely go on the Rose Hall Plantation Tour in MB!! If you love history and ghost stories, this place is cool to visit.

I liked staying in MB as it was close to the airport and more of a central location for day tripping west to Negril and east to Discovery Bay. It would have been cool to go to the Southeast coast to visit Kingston as well, but we just didn't have enough time.

Have fun!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 09:14 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,560,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
YS Falls, it's a waterfall you climb up. I'ts a lot of fun, the water is crystal clear and really cool which is nice on a hot day. I believe there's also a zip line on the proprty as well, if not on the property not far.

I personally prefer Mayfield Falls to YS but Mayfield is closer to Negril and the roads have gotten so bad I think alot of drivers wont take you there anmore.

As for two guys driving, not going to it's unsafe but people drive kinda crazy in Jamaica, lots of honking, lots of passing, fast speeds. Some roads are not in the best condition and they drive on the opposite side of the car and roads from us. Like I said, not going to it's unsafe but keep that in mind and think about how comfortable you'd be with that.

Personally I'd just hire a private driver, very cheap, they'll take you everywhere you wanna go and dont have to worry about directions or driving.

I'll post some pics of YS later for you to see. You can also read more about it on trip advisor tons of posts about YS
YS Falls sounds like a good day trip. About how long of a ride from our hotel would it be? About how much per person does this trip run (In US $)?

Yeah, we will play it by ear but from what i heard it is not advisable to go out driving on your own. Also, as i understand it Negril is about an hour and a half away, so its not exactly a skip. Id definately like to go visit and hang out on the beach there for a while. How, where can we hire a private driver? About how much would that run us? Or maybe there is a day trip to Negril run by a tour company like Raggae Tours or something. Id definately like to visit there for a day!

G Man

Old 08-13-2010, 03:28 PM

721 posts, read 2,661,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
YS Falls sounds like a good day trip. About how long of a ride from our hotel would it be? About how much per person does this trip run (In US $)?

Yeah, we will play it by ear but from what i heard it is not advisable to go out driving on your own. Also, as i understand it Negril is about an hour and a half away, so its not exactly a skip. Id definately like to go visit and hang out on the beach there for a while. How, where can we hire a private driver? About how much would that run us? Or maybe there is a day trip to Negril run by a tour company like Raggae Tours or something. Id definately like to visit there for a day!

G Man
I've never stayed in Mobay so not sure how far YS falls is as I've always gone from Negril but I'm pretty sure less than a half hour I believe much closer than that even.

Good idea on not driving. Not only is it difficult driving conditions with roads, other drivers, wrong side but I've heard of rental car companies claiming you damaged the car trying to charge more money when nothing has been damaged.

For private drivers I'd recommend reading some trip advisor reveiws, either ask your own question or just search posts. I have a great driver I'd recommend but he's from Negril not mobay.

If you can get a good deal on a group tour do it. You'd think group tours would be cheaper since essentially the cost is spread amonst 10 or 12 people rather than two but in my experience organized group tours tend to be around the same if not mre than hiring a private driver. With your own driver you can stay as long as you want, stop along the way to look at things. The drive to Negril isn't bad, all along the coat pretty much so great scenery. There's also horse back riding nad some other activities along the way if you want to stop.

As for what a driver costs totally depends on if your using them for other trips as well, how gas prices are, how good you negotiate but I normally pay abut $120 for the whole day. I noticed many organized trips to falls through apple vacations is like $80-$100 per person so when you figure you can usually get a private driver for $60pp and go whre you want stay as long as you want I generally find that to be a better deal.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:57 PM

Default Mayfield Falls

Here's some pics of Mayfield Falls....

YouTube - Mayfield Falls Waterfall Jamaica

YS Falls is pretty cool too though.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:54 AM

I went to MoBay, but if i ever go back to Jamaica it will be to Negril. The beaches dont even compare. Negril is awesome, MoBay was so so. Beach was really rocky and at my resort it wasnt very big. Negril was absolutely gorgeous.

G Man

Old 09-01-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I went to MoBay, but if i ever go back to Jamaica it will be to Negril. The beaches dont even compare. Negril is awesome, MoBay was so so. Beach was really rocky and at my resort it wasnt very big. Negril was absolutely gorgeous.

G Man
Gman is totally right. Negril has the Famous 7 Mile Beach, if you watch travel channel it's usualy rated one of the top beaches in the world. You can walk pretty much the entire length of the beach water is crystal clear.

Mobay has manmade beaches at the hotels. You can't wak a long stretch of beach, its often rocky or muddy sinc they are essentially just dumping sand to make a beach.

Also, Negril is more of a town as opposed to a city, more laid back.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
Gman is totally right. Negril has the Famous 7 Mile Beach, if you watch travel channel it's usualy rated one of the top beaches in the world. You can walk pretty much the entire length of the beach water is crystal clear.

Mobay has manmade beaches at the hotels. You can't wak a long stretch of beach, its often rocky or muddy sinc they are essentially just dumping sand to make a beach.

Also, Negril is more of a town as opposed to a city, more laid back.
So i wish i had gone to Negril, but i still had a great time.

What i will say is i dont know if it was just the section of 7 mile beach or what, but the beach was loaded with pettlers from everything with trinkets to cocaine. They got terribly annoying. I have no problem saying no but its impossible to walk to the beach. And then we even laid down and closed our eyes and were approached. Its sad in such a beautiful, peaceful setting.

G Man

Old 09-02-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
So i wish i had gone to Negril, but i still had a great time.

What i will say is i dont know if it was just the section of 7 mile beach or what, but the beach was loaded with pettlers from everything with trinkets to cocaine. They got terribly annoying. I have no problem saying no but its impossible to walk to the beach. And then we even laid down and closed our eyes and were approached. Its sad in such a beautiful, peaceful setting.

G Man
Your definately right about vendors on the beach. Were you down there in the off season. I prefer going summertime b/c things are slower, beaches aren't crowded, restaurants aren't croweded, etc, however then you got all the hustlers focused on you instead of a bunch of people like in the winter time.

I agree it can get annoying but you kinda just gotta overlook it and accept it as part of the experience. Heck you can even have some fun with it just listening to some of the ridiculous sales pitches and stuff. It can get annoying but its just people trying to make money to feed their families.

Normally a simple no thank you and they'll move on to the next person. On your beach at your hotel at least most hotels have a security guy or two who will keep vendors from bothering you unless you want to look at what they are selling, walking the beach however like you said you'll be hit up to buy ganja, cd's, cotton candy, bracelets, etc.

Just some tips, if you go down already a little tan people assume you been there for a few days and already bought stuff or are wise the hustles on the beach. Also, if you stay at an AI don't wear your bracelet around youre pretty much letting them know you got money to spend, plus usually people at AI's dont make it off the resort much so again will probably be more likely to buy stuff.

There's a good video about the hustelrs a little bit and the guy kinda touches on how you just gotta go with the flow and accept hte hustlers as part of the experience. I would disagree with one thing he says though. He took a free ring from a guy. Don't let anyone give you anything free, they will want to be paid for it and basically once you got a bracelet on your risk or ring on your hand you pretty much bought it lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGg1tpu_BQ

Old 09-06-2010, 02:22 PM

29,546 posts, read 16,475,253 times
We're going to Negril in November and will be staying at the Rockhouse hotel.

What is there to see and do in the area other than beeches? We will have a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or