Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 08:12 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,972,172 times

Advertisements

Ok, so i'm planning on doing my 4th all inclusive (Punta Cana, Cancun, Puerto Vallarata previously) in Jamaica this August. I used to hear that Montego Bay was the place to go but then i got a few people telling me it was Negril......so.. opinions.....

G Rizzle
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 02:19 PM

551 posts, read 1,573,747 times
We did Montego Bay Breezes and loved it. I haven't been to the others so cannot comment.

Have fun!

Old 07-27-2010, 01:39 PM

91 posts, read 245,269 times
Negril....Definately!!.....Negril is more laid back...It is divided between cliff side and beach side...my husband and I love both so we hit the beach for the 1st half of the vaca and then move to the more quiet seclusion of the cliffs for the latter half of the trip. The beach is so much more beautiful in Negril (7 miles of it) than in Montego. We stay at The Grand Pineapple on the beach...all inclusive...then Xtabi on the cliffs where we explore all of our eating options including Xtabi. They have a diver at night that will take you diving for lobster and then give it to the chef to prepare for your dinner. Incredible experience! Enjoy!

Old 07-27-2010, 02:57 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,100,818 times
If all you're planning to do is stay at an AI and not leave the site, it shouldn't make a difference. Just find the hotel with the best rooms/food/rates and go with that. Plus consider that Negril requires a 1-2 hour transfer from the MoBay airport.

Now, if you're planning to go off the resort site, I'd say Negril. cisco gave some good info on the cliffs (West End Rd. area) vs. 7-mile beach.

Seems like there's a really cool vibe in Negril that you might miss out on by staying in an AI there. But, I guess that's my opinion of AI's in general. Just wanna point out that you can probably stay in a non-AI place which includes breakfast in the rates, then eat lunch/dinner out and probably still come ahead vs. rates at an AI. Plus, you'll get more Jamaican culture thrown in, too!

No matter what you choose, enjoy it. Evry ting irie mon.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:47 PM

91 posts, read 245,269 times
I probably have the same opinion on AI's as you do....However there are great options in Negril that are more mom & pop (although Grand Pineapple is a Sandels affiliate it doesn't have that ostentatious feel to it ...We got a killer deal that's why we nabbed it and we weren't disappointed!)) There are alot of hotels in Negril that now offer menu + alcohol plans that can save you a whole bunch of $$. The grand Pineapple is not on a private beach so there is lots of great people watching. We have been to Jamaica 5 times and I am with you on not closing yourself in behind gates. The Jamaican spirit and culture are as much of why we return as the beauty itself! I can reccomend a private driver for you also. Way better than waiting on the hotel shuttle!

Old 08-02-2010, 11:14 AM

720 posts, read 3,006,564 times
Default negril

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
Ok, so i'm planning on doing my 4th all inclusive (Punta Cana, Cancun, Puerto Vallarata previously) in Jamaica this August. I used to hear that Montego Bay was the place to go but then i got a few people telling me it was Negril......so.. opinions.....

G Rizzle
Montego Bay is definately not the place to go and never has been. Manmade beaches instead of the famous 7 mile beach in Negril.

If you are open to other places Port Antonio is also a great spot.

I would also recommend considering not doing an AI. There are so many great restaurants and smaller hotels along the beach. If you want to be stuck on your AI resort the whole time do Montego Bay but if you do negril stay at a smaller hotel, go try different restaurants, explore the town, etc.

When I do AI I tend to not wnat to go toher places since I already paid for my food and drinks. There's too much good places to eat in Negril to be stuck eating buffets at your AI.

Theres a great blog with travel advice at Jamaica Blog you should also check out trip advisor for hotel reveiws and other travel tips.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:56 AM

I booked the Holiday Inn in Montego Bay. Less than a week before i depart. Cant wait! Hoping the hurricanes hold off, haha.

G Man

Old 08-11-2010, 11:41 PM

Have a good time on your trip.

If you're looking to do a day trip go to YS Falls. I'd also recommend driving down to Negril for a day, totally different vibe than montego bay and the cliffs are cool to see as well. The drive is like an hour and a half or so but it's all along the coast and very scenic so not a bad ride.

Bring back some coffee and some sangsters rum cream, very good.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
Have a good time on your trip.

If you're looking to do a day trip go to YS Falls. I'd also recommend driving down to Negril for a day, totally different vibe than montego bay and the cliffs are cool to see as well. The drive is like an hour and a half or so but it's all along the coast and very scenic so not a bad ride.

Bring back some coffee and some sangsters rum cream, very good.
Thanks for the recommendations. Tell me about YS Falls if you dont mind.

So is it safe for two gringos to drive to Negril? Id definately like to do that if its advisable.

G Man

Old 08-12-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
Thanks for the recommendations. Tell me about YS Falls if you dont mind.

So is it safe for two gringos to drive to Negril? Id definately like to do that if its advisable.

G Man
YS Falls, it's a waterfall you climb up. I'ts a lot of fun, the water is crystal clear and really cool which is nice on a hot day. I believe there's also a zip line on the proprty as well, if not on the property not far.

I personally prefer Mayfield Falls to YS but Mayfield is closer to Negril and the roads have gotten so bad I think alot of drivers wont take you there anmore.

As for two guys driving, not going to it's unsafe but people drive kinda crazy in Jamaica, lots of honking, lots of passing, fast speeds. Some roads are not in the best condition and they drive on the opposite side of the car and roads from us. Like I said, not going to it's unsafe but keep that in mind and think about how comfortable you'd be with that.

Personally I'd just hire a private driver, very cheap, they'll take you everywhere you wanna go and dont have to worry about directions or driving.

I'll post some pics of YS later for you to see. You can also read more about it on trip advisor tons of posts about YS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel