U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 08:48 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,607,670 times

Advertisements

THANKS for all the responses and suggestions. I think the problem might be solved and I'm currently waiting to see.

I emailed the Hotel Manager and offered to send her a self-addressed, stamped, large envelope to insert my items and return to me, with little effort on her part. She agreed. So..... I mailed it to her and hope to receive my items within two weeks........ hoping .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 08:28 PM

92 posts, read 104,468 times
oh yes more times then I'd like to confess too.....lol
ITEMS: under-roos,books,money not much but still,clothes,shoes,toothbrushes...yeah the list could go on forever.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:57 AM

2 posts, read 1,606 times
I had to rush for a bus, because the breakfast in the restaurant was late. I normally do leave AFTER checking everything but this case I guess, I didn't. I am not perfect.

However, the missing item should have been found right away. I called as soon as I discovered the item was missing before I got home! In fact I called from the bus!

Asking the customer to "pound sand" is not good business practice. People really appreciate when their items are returned, and they have fond memories of the hotel. It is not a very hard thing for a manager to do.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:59 AM

2 posts, read 1,606 times
I called the resort back and offered to pay the C.O.D.

She replied that she had nothing to send back. Maybe she was afraid to question her staff?

:dubious :

Old 10-10-2013, 11:08 AM

14,260 posts, read 23,983,382 times
First, most hotels do their darndest to get lost items back to their guests. However, they do not always find the goods and often have no address to ship it to.

Also, they have to consider privacy concerns. That is why they generally do not send anything out that is not requested.

the guest should do a final walk-thru of the room prior to departure.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:44 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,501,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Talking to the HQ of a chain hotel rarely has any effect. Most motels are locally owned and operated, and merely pay a commission to a chain for the right to put up their sign and use their reservation service. HQ will quickly explain this to you and then hang up.

Every place of business has different policies, and it's the luck of the draw. This wasn't a motel, but I want to give credit where credit is due. My wife left her favorite sweater over the back of her chair at the Olive Garden in Janesville WI. That night, she noticed she had forgotten it, and phoned the restaurant, and gave them her address. They overnighted it, and it arrived at our house before we did, and they paid the shipping.

My wife also once left her beloved wooden hairbrush with natural bristles in the restroom of a gas station in Rochelle IL. A couple of hours later, when she discovered the loss, we phoned the police in Rochelle and asked them to check and see if it was still there. It was, and the police mailed it to us, no charge for shipping.

In other words, most people are pretty damned decent and generous. Not just in the US. In Brazil, we left something in the seatback cargo pocket on a bus, and we got off without it. A bus company employee came running to find us and return our article. Similar, in Chile, she left a small shopping bag of things on a bus, and when we got to our hotel, we phoned the bus company. They called on to the end of the bus route 100 miles away, and the next day, her bag of stuff came back on the return trip on the same bus.
The police? You called the police over a missing hairbrush?

Old 10-10-2013, 11:49 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,501,084 times
We stay in hotels a lot and are members of several chains "clubs". We try and do a good once over when we leave but have left items a few times - usually it seems to be chargers for the phones and tablets. Always been returned, no charge.

BabyGirl has lost a couple of stuffed animals but that's because they get wadded up in the sheets and sent to an offsite laundry so no fault of the staff...

I've come to realize that a few of the times I thought things were lifted by hotel staff - they were most likely taken before we ever got to the hotel during transport.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:47 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
You're at the mercy of the kindness and the business sense of the property manager. My wife once left her favorite yard-sale sweater draped over the seat back of an Olive Garden (Janesville WI). We phoned and asked them if they could send it to us, and they over-nighted it, no charge. A class act.

In another place, she left a hair brush with little more than sentimental value (a gift) in the ladies room at a convenience store gas station. A couple hours later we phoned the town police (Rochelle, Illinois), they sent a cruiser over to pick up the hair brush and mailed it to us.

You can't always depend on people to be decent and considerate and go out of their way for you, but they usually are.

Note -- even thugh those two places are only about 50 miles apart on the same highway, it was separate trips many years apart. She doesn't usually mark her trail with a lost object every 50 miles.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-12-2013 at 11:55 AM..

Old 10-14-2013, 07:10 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,334,192 times
A box of condoms. "Magnums" - the extra large ones.

(just kidding, but I can dream can't I??? )

Old 10-18-2013, 05:03 AM

71,957 posts, read 83,597,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Items left behind in a motel; has that ever happened to you?

Mine are not expensive (around $50 value) and can be replaced, but I really would like to have them back if possible. I have been in contact with the Manager by phone and email, requesting that the items be sent back to me C.O.D. ~~ in a small package or envelope. I'm waiting !

Can anyone advise me what resources are available to me, as a guest of the motel, to persuade the Manager to return my items via C.O.D. ? THANKS for any replies and suggestions.
so, he has admitted they were found in your room: I can't understand the problem? Twice, we have had things returned: once, like you, it wasn't much, in fact actually less, but I had a new blouse and pair of shorts I loved. We called the motel, within a week they were returned, at their expense. Of course we sent them money to cover the postage afterwards and a little extra. Another time I left all my valuable jewelry (why I had taken it I have no idea) anyway, the hotel notified me, we sent money for shipping and the insurance because of the value. Within a week we had the box back, complete with all my jewelry. (I really didn't have all my jewelry and I don't wear much, but I did have some valuable ear rings and a couple of pendant that are worth a few hundred or more dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or