U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 08:21 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,607,031 times

Advertisements

Items left behind in a motel; has that ever happened to you?

Mine are not expensive (around $50 value) and can be replaced, but I really would like to have them back if possible. I have been in contact with the Manager by phone and email, requesting that the items be sent back to me C.O.D. ~~ in a small package or envelope. I'm waiting !

Can anyone advise me what resources are available to me, as a guest of the motel, to persuade the Manager to return my items via C.O.D. ? THANKS for any replies and suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 08:35 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,968,211 times
I can't see why he wouldn't return them to you. Maybe he is busy or he forgot.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:45 AM

117 posts, read 307,100 times
I'm sorry to say this but you're assuming that the housekeeper who found them logged it in as "found" and didn't just take it for herself (himself).

Did you actually talk to the manager or just leave a message? Did he/she say that they were found or that they will keep their "eyes open"?

I used to work for a motel and could probably give you more suggestions/ideas/thoughts but I need to know more first.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:54 AM

848 posts, read 1,679,392 times
Your message isn't clear about whether the manager actually has the items.

Through my carelessness, I've lost over $500 worth of stuff left in nice, better hotels. Maids stole everything - nothing was turned in to lost and found.

If it hasn't been turned in already, assume the help stole it and move on.

I finally got it through my head that the LAST action I must take before checking out is a thorough room/closet/bathroom/bed check.

It does rankle me that the maids stole items I know they wouldn't use, but probably sold or pawned. Consider the source and assume honesty is not one of their character traits.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:57 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,449,524 times
Ask to speak to the maids directly ( if you can speak Spanish )

Old 05-20-2010, 08:58 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,607,031 times
Default Wakyco ~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakyco View Post
I'm sorry to say this but you're assuming that the housekeeper who found them logged it in as "found" and didn't just take it for herself (himself).

Did you actually talk to the manager or just leave a message? Did he/she say that they were found or that they will keep their "eyes open"?

I used to work for a motel and could probably give you more suggestions/ideas/thoughts but I need to know more first.
Wakyco ~~ I actually spoke to the Manager who acknowledged that the Housekeeper found the bag of items. Then via email, the Manager said they opened the bag and have the items I requested to be returned by C.O.D.

At this time ~ I'm waiting and hoping that the Manager follows through with the return. HOW LONG SHOULD I WAIT? What to do next if they don't send it?

Old 05-20-2010, 09:34 AM

9,123 posts, read 17,125,688 times
COD is a pain, and No-one USPS/UPS/Fedex or the manager that has to do the papework to send it... want to do it. I would asked the manager to have it packed up and ready to go and issue a UPS/FEDex Pickup label (if its worth it the cost) Fedex/ups will go the motel pickup the package, slap the label on it and deliver it to you.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:05 PM

117 posts, read 307,100 times
How long have you been waiting?

Hotel managers tend to get extremely busy and could easily forget. Also, depending on the manager he/she may not be very organized and could have put it somewhere and forgot where they put it. You should see some of their offices.

Also remember that you are not the only person to have left something behind. Because of this, many mangers will either wait until they have several items to take to the post office or they will have a set day per week/month to take everything that was found

I wouldn't keep contact via e-mail but would rather continue calling and insist that you talk to the manager (don't just leave a message). Eventually they are going to get tired of hearing from you and get to it just to "shut you up".

If it was a chain hotel, one option you have (although I would leave it as a final option) is to contact the corporate office and tell them the struggle you're having with getting your things back. Chain hotels have regional district managers who is the property managers supervisor.

Just follow the "chain of command"

Old 05-23-2010, 10:22 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
Talking to the HQ of a chain hotel rarely has any effect. Most motels are locally owned and operated, and merely pay a commission to a chain for the right to put up their sign and use their reservation service. HQ will quickly explain this to you and then hang up.

Every place of business has different policies, and it's the luck of the draw. This wasn't a motel, but I want to give credit where credit is due. My wife left her favorite sweater over the back of her chair at the Olive Garden in Janesville WI. That night, she noticed she had forgotten it, and phoned the restaurant, and gave them her address. They overnighted it, and it arrived at our house before we did, and they paid the shipping.

My wife also once left her beloved wooden hairbrush with natural bristles in the restroom of a gas station in Rochelle IL. A couple of hours later, when she discovered the loss, we phoned the police in Rochelle and asked them to check and see if it was still there. It was, and the police mailed it to us, no charge for shipping.

In other words, most people are pretty damned decent and generous. Not just in the US. In Brazil, we left something in the seatback cargo pocket on a bus, and we got off without it. A bus company employee came running to find us and return our article. Similar, in Chile, she left a small shopping bag of things on a bus, and when we got to our hotel, we phoned the bus company. They called on to the end of the bus route 100 miles away, and the next day, her bag of stuff came back on the return trip on the same bus.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:51 PM

7 posts, read 29,272 times
I'm a General Manager of a Hotel.... here's the situation on how this works:

1) If you leave the Hotel, they don't owe it to you to replace it. Reason being this would nickle and dime the place to death from people abusing the system. Once I had a lady claim she left and IPOD with 10,000 bucks worth of songs on it. And wanted it replaced. I told her to go pound sand.

2) Most hotel managers are honest because keeping lost items habitually would gain them a reputation and lose buisness. So I would ask for the item returned via COD.

3) If the hotel manager says he doesn't have the item then there isn't much you can do but replace it. Sure, people always want to think the help will steal it. And while this does happen sometimes, 90% of the time someone just misplaced an item and automatically assumed the housekeepers swipped it. Either way, it's gone and the Manager is limited as to what they can do. We can't accuse the housekeepers of stealing because we don't know what people had in the room to begin with. If a patter emerges, then that's different, but I've had people complain on my best housekeepers who havne't had an issue in years and accuse them of stealing.

So all you can really do is live and learn. The good news though is that people leave phone chargers at the hotel. ALOT. We probably find 3 a day.

So, if you need a phone charger, ask the front desk to see their chargrer bucket. Almost every hotel has one and you can grab a charger left by a fellow traveler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or