U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 04:21 PM

20 posts, read 40,439 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on a cross country road trip from florida to california this summer for vacation and I'd like some insight from anyone who's done this trip before.

We want to definitely stop in New Orleans and then San Antonio before continuing west, so any ideas on the best route from Texas on....

I have heard the drive through Texas is really boring, but if there are any "must see spots" that anyone knows of please fill me in.

Thanks. Looking forward to hearing some ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 04:41 PM

3,359 posts, read 10,922,310 times
I've done that trip before many years ago. Yes, you're right west Texas is long and boring.

If you haven't been before you must notice the red colored rock formations in Arizona and the Agura cactus with arms, the peaceful American Indian ruins in New Mexico and colorful Indian villages by the side of the road (if they're still there), Santa Fe market, and if you can take a diversion south Carlsbad Caverns, NM. You'll be amazed at how small the Rio Grande river is, see the big city sky scrapers in Texas, and look to see if any festivals are going on in New Orleans one of the few US cities never to miss, we drove to some historical mansions in Vicksburg, and Mobile was kind of interesting. Sorry I wrote it all backwards as I came from the west on my trip.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:11 PM

157 posts, read 298,735 times
Hi there, have you completed your trip yet? I am looking for a similar trip, except I'm coming from SF back to Orlando. Any tips? My buddy and I are diehard college football fans, so we plan on stopping by Austin and then continue south to New Orleans. And end it in Knoxville, TN to hit the Florida/TN game. Any suggestion on routes and areas to avoid? TIA

Old 07-22-2010, 09:01 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,044,795 times
IH 10 whill take you near very thig really.I would get off at the federicksburg exit on 87 i beleiev it is and take some of teh texas tail to austin area. Austi is pretty much the edge edge of the hill country.Might want to try to schedule your trip across the Achafalya ( spell) basin cause just east of Layaffette in the early morning.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:29 AM

608 posts, read 1,189,922 times
Talk about a roundabout route. Well the best way would be to go down I-5 to I-40 and take I-40 out Amarillo, then go down I-27 to Lubbock. From Lubbock take US-84 down until it turns into US-183 and take 183 into Austin. From Austin there are two ways to get out of Texas. The best way is to go TX-71 through the town of Bastrop all the way down to I-10 about 2 hours outside of Houston. Take I-10 into New Orleans. Once you leave New Orleans I-10 will run into I-59 in Sidell, take that all the way up to I-75 and to Knoxville.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:18 AM

9 posts, read 11,370 times
I plan to road trip from San Diego to Austin, TX. My concern is that I'm doing this solo. Here is my plan San Diego to Tucson, AZ (stay overnight). Tuscon to Santa Teresa, NM (stay overnight) Santa Teresa to Austin. I'm avoiding having to stop anywhere near the Mexican border, even El Paso...not sure area is safe but heading into Texas border to Austin will be painful boring. Any suggestions?

Old 04-10-2013, 06:57 AM

28,560 posts, read 62,337,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocatingmommy View Post
I'm planning on a cross country road trip from florida to california
Generally, the southern route is NOT the favored route west in mid summer.
It's just too darned hot.

Unless the plan is to hightail it to San Diego then I'd suggest getting NORTH asap
after you leave FL (even if it means missing out on NOLA and the Alamo) and THEN heading west.
Once you get to the Pacific (at whatever latitude) then head south.

So... where in CA do you want to end up?

Old 04-10-2013, 07:52 AM

8,120 posts, read 17,347,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsost View Post
I plan to road trip from San Diego to Austin, TX. My concern is that I'm doing this solo. Here is my plan San Diego to Tucson, AZ (stay overnight). Tuscon to Santa Teresa, NM (stay overnight) Santa Teresa to Austin. I'm avoiding having to stop anywhere near the Mexican border, even El Paso...not sure area is safe but heading into Texas border to Austin will be painful boring. Any suggestions?
Santa Teresa NM IS right on the border. About 3 miles from the port of entry on the Pete Domenici highway. But there's nothing wrong with staying at a hotel off the I-10 ramp. You are going to find that I-8's off ramps near San Diego are probably going to look similar to interstate ramps on I-10 in Santa Teresa, or El Paso, for that matter. Travel on the U.S. interstates equates into a homogenous experience. If I had time to take this trip, I would, in fact, incorporate a border route, but it would not be on the interstate highway system, if I could help it. That said, on I-8 through Southern California, you won't be able to, in large stretches, as well as in western Arizona, and having driven this road many times, it's kind of a shame you are forced to take this route.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:39 AM

7,184 posts, read 16,285,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsost View Post
You have nothing to worry about staying on the US, even right next to the border in Texas or NM. I've done it many times, even within a stones throw, and it's really no different than staying anywhere else. In the past, I've done the trip you are describing solo, and even continued on to LA. I stop in El Paso and it's perfectly fine.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:46 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,658,121 times
We are making taht trip this summer and planning on staying in El Paso one night. Would I want to stay 1/4 mile from teh border? Probably not. We booked a moderate chain hotel at least five moles north near the medical center, should be perfectly safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or