Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 09:14 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times

Advertisements

They still give cutlery on planes? Wouldn't that mean they have to give you food?

Joking aside, I'm pretty sure that for the last 20 years or so, I've only gotten food that is eaten by hand when on airplanes, even long international flights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 09:23 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
I'm more concerned about my airline food being re-used

Old 11-01-2013, 10:11 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,372,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Plastic cutlery on some Air New Zealand flights is re-used up to 10 times before being thrown away.
Let's see… ecoli-tainted spinach, mercury-poisoned fish, a finger in my fries, poo matter on my toothbrush… I'd say re-used cutlery is about 13,574 on my list of 'media-hyped horror stories' to worry about.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:28 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
digging through the TRASH to pull out the cutlery and/or containers and reuse them?
When I mentioned *containers* (assuming your answer was directed at my comments), I meant the serving dishes, some food is served in ...

I specifically did not mean, *blister pacs* or whatever *one use only container*.

See attached pix (I was often served food very similar to the pix attached).

Does one really believe that all these serving whatevers are *one time use only* ?
Attached Thumbnails
News, Are you concerned airline plastic cutlery is re-used?-servingmethod.jpg  

Old 11-01-2013, 01:18 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
When I mentioned *containers* (assuming your answer was directed at my comments), I meant the serving dishes, some food is served in ...

I specifically did not mean, *blister pacs* or whatever *one use only container*.

See attached pix (I was often served food very similar to the pix attached).

Does one really believe that all these serving whatevers are *one time use only* ?
It's hard to tell what those are made out of. They also look like rather old images. All I can say is, I've never seen airplane food come in anything else but disposable material and yes, it all gets dumped into the trash. I'm not saying it never gets served in anything else but not everyone can afford whatever airlines/seating you obviously fly with.

If the materials used to serve the food are not intended to be disposed of after one usage then I don't think anyone is expecting them to not be reused. But the OP's concern is that plastic, disposable cutlery is being reused. I think the concern in this is that since the materials are made to be disposed of rather than cleaned, they may not be dishwasher safe and therefore they may not be being cleaned properly before reuse. My argument to this is that in my experience, all this gets thrown out in the trash right in front of us and the staff aren't exactly going to be routing through the trash. Unless I notice the staff putting the plastic, disposable cutlery and containers aside rather than throwing them out, I'm not going to worry about it.

I don't know why you are bringing reusable materials into the discussion when it's clear the OP is talking about disposable materials.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:26 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
They still give cutlery on planes? Wouldn't that mean they have to give you food?

Joking aside, I'm pretty sure that for the last 20 years or so, I've only gotten food that is eaten by hand when on airplanes, even long international flights.
that made me smile, you are right. I guess they are talking about 1st class only.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:58 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
No worrying for me about this at all. I'm way more concerned with being able to pay for the increasingly expensive seat on the airplane!

But what do I know - I eat street tacos in Mexico, and unidentifiable meat-on-a-stick thingys from street vendors in Thailand and Malaysia.

(BTW, I had a reasonably good Bulgoki on Korean Airlines some years ago. And I assure you, we were in coach.)

Old 11-04-2013, 09:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
I put plastic cutlery through my dishwasher and it comes out as clean as the metal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel