U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:08 PM

294 posts, read 505,703 times

Advertisements

We'll be going to puerto rico soon! Can't wait. Just wondering what some of your favorite experiences, restaurants, stores, beaches, etc are? Also, did you rent a car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 03:28 AM

401 posts, read 410,499 times
I very much enjoyed doing a tour of the Old City. Also enjoyed doing a tour of one of the forts protecting it. I thought it was interesting and, there were some great views of the city of San Juan.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:07 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,125,750 times
Old Town San Juan is excellent, as is El Yunque. Overall, however, I was disappointed in many of the beaches, including famous ones like Luquillo, and even more disappointed in the horrific traffic we sat in going to/from just about anywhere on the island. We did rent a car, and the driving overall was pretty easy, just very slow and crowded.

If I was to do PR again, I would plan my trip around Old Town San Juan, the rainforest, and then head to the east side of the island for a bio-bay swim and a trip over to Vieques or Culebra.

PR is beautiful, it's just too crowded to be a vacation paradise IMO.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:42 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,561,819 times
I'm a huge baseball fan. I'd like to go to the Caribbean World Series next year and i have found out that it is in Mayaguez (what is the correct pronounciation?)

I've also heard it will be the first week in Feb. What is the weather around that time? I was thinking of flying into San Juan, renting a car and making the drive to Mayaquez. Mapquest puts it at around 2 hours. What is the usual cost for a rental car in PR? Is this a drive that two "gringos" could make without any worry? I think it would be neat to see the land and i see the drive is near the coast as well which is cool.

Any other advice of discussions would be great. Thanks!

G Man

Old 05-25-2010, 07:07 PM

239 posts, read 805,016 times
Used to live there... beaches, SW area, Cabo Rojo and Guanica... Also, NW area Crashboat in Aguadilla.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:08 PM

Mayaguez- 'mah-yah-GWEZ'

Old 05-25-2010, 07:15 PM

@gman5431
Also, lol, I should have read the entire thread 1st. Yeah, ride 2 Mayaguez is super easy- u can mapquest it or ur nav system should work, too. Hard to get lost.

Views are beautiful- arriving to the NW u have lots of ocean views, amazing. You'll be fine as gringos, lol, Im American and I used 2 live there- visit 2-3 times a year now. People are ALWAYS friendly as long as you're friendly as well.

When we go, we also fly to San Juan- we visit the NW side, where we used to live. If we find a car for $20 bucks a day, we've done great. I think the cheapest we've gotten is like $16 or $17 maybe?

Contrary to a prev poster's comments- Ive found only the San Juan metro area is crowded, the rest of the island is NOT.

The beaches in the NE have dark brown sand, as opposed to Vieques, Culebra, and the Western /Southern beaches, most of which have white/ beige sand. Let me dig up a few pics of Cabo Rojo- no one could be disappointed by this beach- mdp_az needs to go here!!

Last edited by shannaCT; 05-25-2010 at 07:24 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 07:22 PM

Cabo Rojo, PR

Old 05-26-2010, 09:08 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,561,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannaCT View Post
@gman5431
Also, lol, I should have read the entire thread 1st. Yeah, ride 2 Mayaguez is super easy- u can mapquest it or ur nav system should work, too. Hard to get lost.

Views are beautiful- arriving to the NW u have lots of ocean views, amazing. You'll be fine as gringos, lol, Im American and I used 2 live there- visit 2-3 times a year now. People are ALWAYS friendly as long as you're friendly as well.

When we go, we also fly to San Juan- we visit the NW side, where we used to live. If we find a car for $20 bucks a day, we've done great. I think the cheapest we've gotten is like $16 or $17 maybe?

Contrary to a prev poster's comments- Ive found only the San Juan metro area is crowded, the rest of the island is NOT.

The beaches in the NE have dark brown sand, as opposed to Vieques, Culebra, and the Western /Southern beaches, most of which have white/ beige sand. Let me dig up a few pics of Cabo Rojo- no one could be disappointed by this beach- mdp_az needs to go here!!
Ok, thanks for all the wonderful info. A few more questions:

1. What is the currency in PR? Do places take the American Dollar usually? Do most places take Visa or AMEX?
2. Since we will be driving the NW corner of the island on our way to Mayaguez, can you give me specific spots where we should stop and explore. Maybe a place to eat or a place to hop on the beach for a while and enjoy some views you mentioned.
3. Are you familar with Mayaguez itself? Any recommendations on where to stay, where to eat, what to see, etc there?

Thanks a lot!

G Man

Old 05-26-2010, 09:37 AM

12,292 posts, read 18,413,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
Ok, thanks for all the wonderful info. A few more questions:

1. What is the currency in PR? Do places take the American Dollar usually? Do most places take Visa or AMEX?
2. Since we will be driving the NW corner of the island on our way to Mayaguez, can you give me specific spots where we should stop and explore. Maybe a place to eat or a place to hop on the beach for a while and enjoy some views you mentioned.
3. Are you familar with Mayaguez itself? Any recommendations on where to stay, where to eat, what to see, etc there?

Thanks a lot!

G Man
Currency? PR is part of the US.

Old town is fun, for a cruise stop. But I was there for two weeks on business once and, I just have to say this, PR is a dump!
Poverty, crime, and more poverty. And the iron fences around all first and second story windows say it all. It would never be my choice for a vacation when there are so many tropical beach choices in the carribean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or