U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 01:58 PM

42 posts, read 120,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Zing View Post
how are kids supposed to learn to behave 'in public' if their parents never bring them out because they're worried about somebody being somewhat inconvienced due to noise or a bouncing ball or whatever ?

parents need to expose their kids to things - thats how they learn stuff, and what is OK behaviour and what isn't. OF COURSE this doesn't mean let them run wild without reeling them in.

Anyone who has zero tolerance for kids behaviour is as bad as a negligent (sp) parent.

back to the OP:
we took our toddler (21 months) on a 15 hour flight, and he was fine.
it DOES take energy, because you need to mind them even when you're tired, and the forum isn't best for keeping them busy, but it was great fun, overall. Go for it.

And fwiw, if baby is loud, take him to the back of the plane and rock them. You can barely hear them over the jet sounds. There were 9 infants on our flight and i don't think (could be wrong) that any other passengers had a horrible time because of the kids.

Thank you for that. I am glad that somebody remembered the question...

As crazy as this type of trip sounds to those who have never tried it, everyone that I have spoken to who has traveled with a young child has said that they had a great time. Of course you are limited in what you can do and see, but who cares? It is a wonderful life experience to share with your family.

I hope that others who have traveled with their children will chime in and we can move this discussion away from debating whether you like to sit near a crying baby on a plane, because obviously nobody does....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 02:26 PM

8,123 posts, read 8,628,859 times
This is a 3 month old, not a toddler or a preschooler. A 3 month old does not have tantrums and a parent cannot "control" the behavior or a baby's need to make noise at this age. However, he/she probably will cry on the plane when he/she feels the pressure change in the ears. You should consult a pediatrician about this. The last thing that you want is the baby to have an ear infection during the trip as well. During the flight, that baby is probably going to have periods of crying and periods of sleeping. At this age, the baby is not going to screech, whine, or run around in the aisle like an older child. I would rather travel next to a young infant than a toddler any day.

My SIL took her children on a flight to Europe to visit family by herself. She had an infant and a toddler and it was a nightmare. The toddler is always a handful and annoyed other passengers. My SIL is not good at behavior management with her children. The hardest part was also dragging all the heavy gear on her own. I think that is the biggest pain, even though in your case, there will be two adults and one baby. The car/infant seat, the stroller, and all the other junk you have to bring with you besides your own luggage, to me, would be a deterrent. However, if you are visiting family, especially family who has never seen the baby before, I can understand the need to take such a long trip.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:37 PM

494 posts, read 1,117,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan82 View Post
My wife and I are planning a trip to Japan for two weeks with our son who will be almost 3 months old. Has anyone else taken a trip like this? Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks.
call the airline ahead of time to 'reserve' your crib part of the seat. it fits up to a 9 month old so your baby can lie down and sleep.
take off and landing give a bottle to drink (will help with little ears). babies that age sleep through the most flight so you will be fine.
good luck

Old 05-26-2010, 12:45 AM

334 posts, read 956,456 times
We took our daughter to Japan when she was 18 months old and have to say that Japan struck us as a much more child-friendly place than NY. We took her on a Tokyo city tour, and to Nikko, the Japan Alps, Kyoto, bullet trains, subways and buses with no trouble--lots of welcoming smiles for babies there. Having a Baby Bjorn with us helped a lot, much easier on the subway than a bulky stroller. Narita Airport had one of the best family bathrooms that I've seen anywhere, with a well designed changing table and a tiny toddler-sized toilet, as well as the best kids' playroom of any airport I've seen.

With a 3 month old the flight shouldn't be too difficult, much easier than with a toddler, specially if you have a baby who falls asleep with motion. Our ped gave us a flying tip similar to vlorak's above when we flew with our daughter when she was a few months old, and with a baby that's breastfed, there's even more of a positive effect on ear pressure and relaxation.

Are you going in the summer? I was unpleasantly surprised at how hot and humid July and August are there, so do make sure to keep yourself and baby shaded and hydrated.

I have to say that I have very vivid bad memories of nightmarish flights with obnoxious screaming foul-mouthed adults--compared to them I'd take a crying 3 month old any time.

Good luck!

Old 05-26-2010, 01:13 AM

2,160 posts, read 6,714,725 times
We have a little girl adopted from China...so we did a 17 hour flight with a 6 month old. I was also stationed in Japan so I know that trip well...

Some tricks you could try...if its at all possible, fly in business class. You will appreciate the extra room in the seats. Thats a biggie. depending on the airline...they could seat you near a bulkhead with a "crib attachment" (I think this was mentioned in an earlier post)

Also...try to keep him up a little longer...then feed him right before the flight and he might sleep a little more soundly and for longer on the flight.

In this case...having a layover might help and give you all time to walk around a little.

But whatever you do....do not make the mistake of taking a cutsie picture of your kid in customs...we almost got ourselves arrested :-)

Have fun...Japan is a fantastic country. If you are adventurous eaters you'll be in heaven!

Old 05-26-2010, 04:35 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,254,777 times
We are from Ireland and so our boys have flown since they were 6 months old ; the 11 year old has been there 12 times. The first four times before he was 2.

Honestly, we have never had a problem. Both my dh and I have flown with one of them alone ; I flew many times with both of them alone and it was never an issue ; even when they were 3 & 4 and at those ages!!! It is an over night flight going and an afternoon flight coming back.

Just a word of the wise ; take the stroller to the gate with you, that way you will get it when you come off the plane. Have each of you bring a change of tee shirts in the carry on plane. Let the baby have a bottle or whatever you are using when taking off or landing. Book one of those crib seats ; that way you will have extra room ; the planes have a cardboard crib for when the baby is sleeping.

A baby that age wont be a problem at all. My oldest was 6 months when he flew the first time and it was a breeze. Yes, I carried him for the whole flight as it was full but that was ok.

Have fun.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:17 AM

1,917 posts, read 4,647,067 times
That is my definition of utopia: catching attitiude from some idiot about my kid crying on a plane. Pure utopia. You're trapped dude. Nowhere to hide.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:40 AM

721 posts, read 1,309,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
take the stroller to the gate with you, that way you will get it when you come off the plane. Have each of you bring a change of tee shirts in the carry on plane. Let the baby have a bottle or whatever you are using when taking off or landing.
Definitely bring a change of clothes for both you and baby! Very wise advice!

Both of my kids have flown. My daughter has been to Hawaii 3x. It's not as long as Japan but still a long flight. 3 months is a great age for air travel, they are usually pretty mellow.

In my opinion, the age to avoid flying is 1-2 yrs old. We didn't travel much during that time bcs I was pregnant but I really didn't want to. When they first learn to walk they don't want to sit still and they can't talk enough to express themselves so they get frustrated. We just took both kids to California and they were great. Better behaved than some of the adults on the flight. For a 3 month old you won't need one, but for an older baby we always buy a seat.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:50 AM

334 posts, read 956,456 times
Another fun thing about our Japan trip was that a number of Japanese tourists at the local attractions asked if they could take a pictures of them with my hubby (blond, blue-eyed) and the baby (light brown hair and blue-eyed) He said he felt like a celebrity! You can expect friendly questions and comments from people at the tourist spots.

Last edited by gk90; 05-26-2010 at 12:05 PM..

Old 06-14-2010, 04:48 AM

42 posts, read 120,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
TSA agents are not permitted to make you drink milk/formula or anything else.

3 months is an easy age to travel with, but No Way in Hell would I take an infant on a germ infested 20 hour flight. No where to run, no where to hide and while you have just as much right to be on that plane as anyone else, once you hit one or two hours of screaming with no place to take him/her you'll be wishing for an escape pod.

While I understand everyone's concerns about having a baby on a long flight, it's 12 hours non-stop not 20, they give you a bassinet and everyone I spoken to about it says that baby's are generally soothed by the noise and vibration on planes. I think what people have encountered more often than not are obnoxious toddlers or crying babies who are older than 3 months... I'm sure our situation is far from unique and our little one on cries when he is hungry and once you feed him he shuts right up.

Traveling during the summer is presenting its own problems. We want to keep ourselves and the little guy comfortable. He is too young for sun block so he needs to be covered, but we don't want him too bundled up because of the weather.

Has anyone had any experience with a baby in the summer months? Any thoughts on the best way to carry him comfortably? We have a lightweight wrap, like a moby, and an umbrella stroller with a shade attachment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or