U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 12:19 PM

9,531 posts, read 13,476,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
Make sure you book flights with kid-friendly airlines. Emirates is good, but Singapore and Lufthansa are probably good too. Ask people who have flown to Japan with kids to find out the good airline.

Talk to your pediatrician and make sure the vaccinations are up-to-date. Check this out MD Travel Health - Japan - vaccinations, malaria, safety, and other medical advice

If the kid cries, do not be embarrassed that you are disturbing someone else's sleep. Its part of taking a flight, and if someone does not understand that, its their problem, not yours.
People should not take a 3-month-old on a 20-something hour flight...common sense.

I'd be freakin pissed if a kid cried on my flight.

Have some courtesy to others and leave the kid @ home. No one wants to deal with a crying child after the amount of $$ they paid and time they spent sitting on a plane.

If the situation was reversed, ask yourself if you would want to deal with someone else's kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 04:14 PM

494 posts, read 1,118,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
People should not take a 3-month-old on a 20-something hour flight...common sense.

I'd be freakin pissed if a kid cried on my flight.

Have some courtesy to others and leave the kid @ home. No one wants to deal with a crying child after the amount of $$ they paid and time they spent sitting on a plane.

If the situation was reversed, ask yourself if you would want to deal with someone else's kid.
GET EARPLUGS.
whenever we fly we always have some kid, young or older, crying his/her head off. i always bring earplugs for all of us and even spare ones. a few weeks ago there was a dad with his toddler who was petrified cried and cried. did it bother me? no, i had my earplugs on, all i saw was his mouth open, and tears running down his face. offered him cookies, and a toy i had with me. there will be kids everywhere we go. just get used to it.
i have travelled with my kids since they were two. i have never ever encountered someone who has said anything bad about kids crying. generally my kids are well-behaved, and i know how to keep them entertained. but as infants i and all others sucked it up. no one said a bad word or threw me a bad look. i would have not cared if they had but it's strange how some of posters here have problems with children.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:25 PM

8,680 posts, read 13,318,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
GET EARPLUGS.
whenever we fly we always have some kid, young or older, crying his/her head off. i always bring earplugs for all of us and even spare ones. a few weeks ago there was a dad with his toddler who was petrified cried and cried. did it bother me? no, i had my earplugs on, all i saw was his mouth open, and tears running down his face. offered him cookies, and a toy i had with me. there will be kids everywhere we go. just get used to it.
i have travelled with my kids since they were two. i have never ever encountered someone who has said anything bad about kids crying. generally my kids are well-behaved, and i know how to keep them entertained. but as infants i and all others sucked it up. no one said a bad word or threw me a bad look. i would have not cared if they had but it's strange how some of posters here have problems with children.

Actually, earplugs for the child isn't a bad idea. When children cry on flights, it's often because their ears are killing them and they don't know how to relieve the pressure and pain.

They do make [URL="http://www.cirrushealthcare.com/EarPlanes-C8.aspx"]Earplanes[/URL] for children. I don't know if they are safe to use on infants, or if an infant would even tolerate them, but the OP might want to find out.

Plus, it's good info to have for anyone flying with children. Heck, I won't fly without those things, myself. They make a big difference.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:54 PM

63 posts, read 206,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan82 View Post
My wife and I are planning a trip to Japan for two weeks with our son who will be almost 3 months old. Has anyone else taken a trip like this? Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks.
Consult your pediatrician. Once cleared, bring lots of cash - in case of medical emergencies; Check with the airline to see what (if any) type of accomodations they may have for babies; bring baby ear plugs (if they exist) to help with air pocket. Keep little man safe and comfortable. Enjoy the trip!!!

Old 06-15-2010, 02:55 PM

9,531 posts, read 13,476,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
GET EARPLUGS.
I don't think it's so much problems with children...for me, if I am on a long flight, I either want to sleep or read a magazine...and both of those things can easily be disrupted when a child is crying. For the price of airfare these days and all the constituents involved in flying, I'd at least like to be able to relax and not have children crying, screaming, or running up & down the aisles.

I happen to love children. I just don't think long international flights like Tokyo are the place for them.

I've already paid enough $$, I don't think I should have to buy earplugs or deal with it. If I am being courteous to others by being quiet and minding my own business, I expect others to do the same.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:18 PM

2,545 posts, read 6,261,837 times
People travel for a reason. I am sure there are zero parents out there who travel with kids just to annoy fellow passengers. They are paying the same top $$ for the seat too... in fact more because of the kid accompanying them. As a parent of a impatient toddler, its the first thing that comes to my mind when I have to go on a flight "how the #&*% do I make sure I can keep this kid under control ?"
There is no surefire solution for this. Earplugs for kids is a good idea for altitude changes during take off and landings. Choosing a flight with a personal TV for inflight entertainment goes a long way. A portable DVD player is a secondary option, don't forget their favorite DVDs to go with it.
If the situation is getting too much out of control, try a little tylenol or some cough syrup (mind you I cannot stress the word little enough as the cough syrups contain alcohol, you do not want an emergency situation up there) to make them take a nice nap.

A child throwing tantrums is a bad situation for everyone, I hope we can all avoid/tolerate it in a civilized fashion.

Edit: For a 3 months old infant - NO NO NO NO Cough syrup please.... my advice was very generic. Sorry !! but you should be fine with your 3 month old infant as he/she is too young to give you trouble.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:39 AM

1,644 posts, read 4,108,738 times
We did a 9 hour flight with our son when he was 3 months old.
We sat in the front sest of the cabin and had a basinette that screwed into the bulk head. He slept for 7 hours after we went through his normal bedtime routine as it was a night flight.
As I was determined that I still wanted to travel once I had a child and also because I wanted my sleep, he was a good sleeper ie used to going to sleep on his own with his special toy and sleeping through for 6-7 hours.

I took disposable bottle system with teats that had been pre-sterilised and cartons of baby milk.

Sucking during take off and landing helps with the ears.

The worst thing for us was the jet lag.
We arrived around midnight local time having slept little ourselves. Baby thought it was 6 in the morning and time to be awake and bouncing around.
We never really managed to get him into a good sleeping routine the whole time we were away and that did affect our holiday as we were constantly tired from getting up during the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or