U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should we go for our honeymoon?
Costa Rica 8 23.53%
St. Lucia 9 26.47%
Peru 4 11.76%
Other 13 38.24%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 09:33 PM

512 posts, read 1,226,215 times

Advertisements

Please help us decide.

choices are st. lucia, costa rica, or peru
we are 30 and enjoy hiking, biking, relaxing by the beach, white sand beaches, clear waters, fishing, exploring
We are going for about 9 nights towards the end of November. (leaving from washington DC)

Please help us decide where to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 10:01 PM

26,346 posts, read 83,084,904 times
Is go nowhere and save the money an option?

Old 05-25-2010, 10:11 PM

187,012 posts, read 76,982,555 times
Option other. Table Rock Lake and save the diff for house needs. Nest egg. Rainy day.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:02 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,432,322 times
Why does everyone always assume that everyone else's financial situation is exactly like their own? Not everyone is hurting for money and some people actually enjoy travel, have the means to do it frequently, and have a decent amount in savings. This is the travel forum, where people come to discuss upcoming/recent travel and not to be lectured about their financial situation, which btw does not relate to you. The OP asked a specific question, not advice as what to do with their money. Sorry, just a huge pet peeve of mine! We get that all the time from people asking us how we can possibly afford to travel every single month. Our financial situation is no business of yours! What an exciting life it must be sitting in your home state/country until the day you die. It's a big world, explore it every chance you get! You can't take the money/possessions to your grave!

To the OP, I vote between Peru and CR. Since you live in DC, you should be able to get a direct flight to both of those. I'm going to CR in August and from planning this trip, I can tell you there is a ton to see and do there. November is the perfect time to go there, given that the rainy season is over and the weather should be perfect. Not sure if you guys are looking for an active vacation, but both CR and Peru are not places you want to just lounge around in.

If you want more of a tropical feel, I'd go to Costa Rica. If you're interested in exploring Macchu Pichu and other architectural sites, then Peru is a good bet. That's next on our list! Whatever you choose, you'll have a blast and congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!

Old 05-26-2010, 01:08 AM

37 posts, read 113,809 times
Mauritius or the Seychelles islands!!

Old 05-26-2010, 03:10 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,273,842 times
Out of the choices you listed, I would go to St. Lucia. It is your honeymoon, go somewhere very nice and tropical!

My other suggestion would be Rio

Old 05-26-2010, 07:12 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,947,587 times
I have friends who went to St Lucia for their honeymoon, and they loved it.
Lots of hiking there.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Why does everyone always assume that everyone else's financial situation is exactly like their own? Not everyone is hurting for money and some people actually enjoy travel, have the means to do it frequently, and have a decent amount in savings. This is the travel forum, where people come to discuss upcoming/recent travel and not to be lectured about their financial situation, which btw does not relate to you. The OP asked a specific question, not advice as what to do with their money. Sorry, just a huge pet peeve of mine! We get that all the time from people asking us how we can possibly afford to travel every single month. Our financial situation is no business of yours! What an exciting life it must be sitting in your home state/country until the day you die. It's a big world, explore it every chance you get! You can't take the money/possessions to your grave!

To the OP, I vote between Peru and CR. Since you live in DC, you should be able to get a direct flight to both of those. I'm going to CR in August and from planning this trip, I can tell you there is a ton to see and do there. November is the perfect time to go there, given that the rainy season is over and the weather should be perfect. Not sure if you guys are looking for an active vacation, but both CR and Peru are not places you want to just lounge around in.

If you want more of a tropical feel, I'd go to Costa Rica. If you're interested in exploring Macchu Pichu and other architectural sites, then Peru is a good bet. That's next on our list! Whatever you choose, you'll have a blast and congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!
Thanks.
Yes, we save enough and own a couple of houses, and as you mentioned, we don't want to live our lives in a corner, never having explored the world. we've been together for 4 years and have seen 7 or 8 countries together, been on about 15 separate vacations and wouldn't exchange that for anything.
We take at least 2 long vacations (10 days) a year; we're going to Canada for 10 days this summer and then again in November for our honeymoon. Saving is good, but one of my main goals in life is to see as much of the world as possible before i die. saving money is great, but it should keep you from living a good life!

Anyway, Costa rica sounds great.....my parents have been there and say great things. would you mind sharing some of your research data with us? hotels/cities/airfare costs/all inclusive?/etc.

we're totally fine with 'not' lounging the whole time we're there. we 'do' want a place where we can explore!

Old 05-26-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Is go nowhere and save the money an option?
Come on...what's the fun in that? lol
we save enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Option other. Table Rock Lake and save the diff for house needs. Nest egg. Rainy day.
we have a long way to go.....i'd rather enjoy the far corners of the world now, when we have good legs to walk, and good eye sight to enjoy the views ;-)
cheers

Old 05-26-2010, 09:46 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,432,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1234 View Post
Thanks.
Yes, we save enough and own a couple of houses, and as you mentioned, we don't want to live our lives in a corner, never having explored the world. we've been together for 4 years and have seen 7 or 8 countries together, been on about 15 separate vacations and wouldn't exchange that for anything.
We take at least 2 long vacations (10 days) a year; we're going to Canada for 10 days this summer and then again in November for our honeymoon. Saving is good, but one of my main goals in life is to see as much of the world as possible before i die. saving money is great, but it should keep you from living a good life!

Anyway, Costa rica sounds great.....my parents have been there and say great things. would you mind sharing some of your research data with us? hotels/cities/airfare costs/all inclusive?/etc.

we're totally fine with 'not' lounging the whole time we're there. we 'do' want a place where we can explore!
You guys sound like us! We got married in Sept 2008 and have been to 45 states and 13 countries together since we met each other! Travel is a huge priority for us right now and like you guys, we want to see places when we are younger not old and decrepit! And (gasp!) we have a ton in savings, I know I know hard to believe since everyone assumes it's either travel OR savings, not both. I guess us younger people are smarter with our money management than the older people!

Ok, on to Costa Rica. You'll have the option to fly into Liberia or San Jose. We chose San Jose. Airfare from you will be a lot cheaper than from here. We have to go from San Diego to Atlanta then to CR, which will take up the entire day just for traveling. We had a ton of ff miles, so we didn't pay for this airfare, but I can tell you from NJ (where I'm from) it's around $500, sometimes less. We are going to Arenal for a couple of days (that's where the volcano is), then to Manuel Antonio, where the jungle/beaches are.

From our research, we found that everyone that goes there rents a car and explores on their own. That's huge news for us, since we did that in Europe and prefer to rent a car and explore on our own when we travel. We are using this one:

Rent a car Rates in Costa Rica, Service car rental rates in Costa Rica, Discount, Budget Car Rental Rates, Prices for Cars for Hire, Discount, Good Deals, Bargin, Best Price, Deal

It's highly advised that you use a CR company, and not Hertz, Avis, etc. due to fees and tons of hidden charges.

If you have a Garmin GPS, you can get CR maps. We have a TomTom, which doesn't support CR, so we are renting one. This site has awesome directions in the country and has been very helpful in helping us narrow down locations.

Rent a car Rates in Costa Rica, Service car rental rates in Costa Rica, Discount, Budget Car Rental Rates, Prices for Cars for Hire, Discount, Good Deals, Bargin, Best Price, Deal

In Arenal, we researched one too many hotels and finally decided to stay here:

Arenal Hotels & Resorts Costa Rica – Arenal Hotel, Mountain Paradise

You'll find more spa style hotels in Arenal than MA.

For activities, we are planning on going ziplining but were told to not book anything until we get there. This is the company we'll be using in Arenal.

Arenal Volcano, Costa Rica

Here are some other things around Arenal:

Arenal Costa Rica Map & Active Lava Flow Status

Arenal Hanging Bridges, Tours, Travel - Costa Rica

And, since it's near a volcano, there are a lot of hot springs there as well.

On to Manuel Antonio. This is probably the most popular destination in CR. We will be staying at this place:

La Posada Jungle, Private Jungle Bungalows, La Posada Casa, Jungle Bungalows, Hotel Manuel Antonio, Hotel near Manuel Antonio National Park

The guy that owns it is really awesome and very responsive to emails. It's a few rooms, so you feel like you're staying with family instead of a hotel. People said that he takes guests to dinner and shows them around, which is so cool. This hotel is steps to Manuel Antonio park and restaurants nearby. When you research this area, you'll notice that there are hotels that are high up, meaning overlooking the beach/jungle, and down below. We chose down below so that we can get to the park/restaurants without having to drive or hire a car.

Manuel Antonio is home to many species of animals and some of the nicest beaches in all of CR.

Manuel Antonio Park Costa Rica enjoy tours, hotels, restaurants, adventure activities and rentals

Many people use a guide to show them around and I have the name and link to one that's highly recommended on TripAdvisor, but I cannot find it right now.

Other popular things to do there is ziplining and ATVing, though some say you shouldn't use ATVs in the jungle for environmental reasons. That's entirely your choice and companies are available to take you if you want it!

Canopy Safari - Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica - The oldest, safest and largest canopy tour

Tour Prices ATV Quad Adventure - ATVQuadAdventure.com

We're still trying to piece together our itinerary, but we have the car/hotels booked and have an idea of what we want to do.

If you choose CR, you'll have a blast. Save St. Lucia for a long weekend getaway. I'm not a fan of staying in places like that for more than 4 days and 10 days is perfect for CR. Also, check out the TripAdvisor CR forum. Even if you don't post, all your questions will be answered by just reading the posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel