Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:40 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times

Advertisements

It seems to be happening more and more to me. I paid extra for the 'extra legroom seats' on Jetblue only to end up next to a very obese person. This person took up her seat and spilled over into mine, to the point that I couldn't put the arm rest down to plug in my headphones and control the TV screen.

When will the airlines get the message and start forcing people to buy 2 seats if they need it????? It isn't fair to the person who sits next to them.

Grrr. I'm not a naturally thin person- I definitely have to work at it, by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 11:56 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Personally, I think the bigger issue is that the seating in cabins are unrealistically too small and tight. Yes, people in general are bigger than they were even two decades ago. And, y'know, it seems that the seating "back then" wasn't as bad.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:02 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
I'll bet they weighed that person's luggage.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:50 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
When will the airlines get the message and start forcing people to buy 2 seats if they need it????? It isn't fair to the person who sits next to them.
Some of them are - trouble is, they can't really enforce it until it's time to check-in/board, at which point the flight may already be full. Then they either have to bump the overweight person or bump the person sitting next to them. Whichever choice they make, they come under fire from the media. Someone just recently posted a news article about a woman who was removed from a flight to make room for an overweight teenager - the article mentioned that just a few months ago, the same airline had removed an overweight passenger and the media attacked them for discrimination. I think the airline was right the first time around by removing the overweight passenger but I can understand not wanting to receive a ton of bad press for it. They just can't win no matter what they do.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:47 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
The seating on planes today is no less wide than it was 25 years ago. The only difference is that there seem to be more commuter jets like Canadair and Embrair in use now...these are definitely narrower. The difference between now and "back then" is that the airlines have simply squeezed more rows into the planed by reducing legroom.

I HATE when a very large person sits beside me and takes over the space that I PAID FOR! I will force an armrest down if I have to in that situation to try and create as much of a separation in space as possible. The recent example of Southwest kicking off the thin passenger to make room for an obese passenger is an outrage.

What's so sad is that the US continues to get fatter, while it is really not THAT difficult to live a more healthy life...and lose some weight in the process. Simply eating more reasonable portions, less fried food, and working out 30 minutes per day 5-6 days per week will, over time, deliver major results.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:00 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
SW Kicked off a STANDBY passenger. STANDBY is the key word.. If she had book the seat, SW would have asked for volunteers first, then go to their bumping rules if needed. SW was not going to kick off a 14yo teenager. The libility is to high for them to do that.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:24 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
SW Kicked off a STANDBY passenger. STANDBY is the key word.. If she had book the seat, SW would have asked for volunteers first, then go to their bumping rules if needed. SW was not going to kick off a 14yo teenager. The libility is to high for them to do that.
But did the 14 year old pay two fares to cover both seats that were used by the one individual???

Old 08-03-2010, 07:33 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
By SW rules she should have, But that is a private matter beween the 14yo(and her Parent(s)) and SW.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:43 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
JetBlue is the worst airline out there. I'm in NYC right now and flew them here, only to use up my remaining points and redeem a free flight. That was my last flight on that airline, I'm flying Delta home.

My husband and I paid for those extra leg room seats, since we redeemed free flights and didn't mind paying that fee, a couple of months ago. Next to me, was a guy that was beyond what's considered obese. He sits, and immediately lifts my armrest because he can't fit! When his fat started to spill into my lap ( I shudder to think about it), I told him to please put the armrest down. He got downright nasty. They are extra leg room seats, not extra belly fat.

Luckily, the flight was not full and the male flight attendant felt so bad that he moved us to the first row. Imagine if the flight had been full, it would have been the 6 hour flight from hell! I hear about this happening on JB all the time and I refuse to fly them in the future, this being just one reason.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:49 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Standby or not, they let her on the plane and then told her to get off. They gave her the seat and then took it away. Once they'd given her the seat, she should have had the same rights as anyone else. Payment for the extra seat is not a private matter between the airline and the parents when a third person was denied that extra seat in favor of someone who potentially didn't pay for it.

But that was not really my point. My point was more that just earlier this year, the same airline kicked off an overweight passenger for not booking 2 seats. Which they had every right to do but the media attacked them for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel