U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2010, 12:10 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,250,996 times

Advertisements

My budget for an airplane ticket from Los Angeles to Mumbai is 850. I have searched and found an Airline (Gulf Air) that has the ticket for 950.. is it really possible to bargain with the airline and try to get the 100 dollars off in any way? Has anyone had luck with this?

Also with priceline.. has anybody ever used the priceline negotiator?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 03:54 PM

9,130 posts, read 17,156,839 times
I just checked the low avg fare for a July Dep is 1600-2000 R/T does the 950 include all taxes? taxes can be large on international trips. But Airlines dont bargain one on one. There fare mgmt system adjust the fare based on supply/demand. Only thing you can do is look at different dates for dep/arr. and book when you think the price is right.

As for priceline never seen it give that good of a price to be worth using for airfaces. Also planes are running fuller due to decrease in overall capicity. So airlines dont have to give as many brakes to fill the planes, there are less seats to full.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:11 AM

452 posts, read 1,239,763 times
Airlines don't bargain. Complex computer algorithms set the prices usually based on supply, demand, fuel costs, dates, seasons, distance, etc... A phone call to Gulf Air isn't going to result in an agent being sympathetic or being able to doing anything. The price listed is the price you pay and you can only hope it goes down on Gulf Air's own terms (they aren't doing anything special for one passenger).

Who is the code share out of Los Angeles on??? Gulf Air doesn't offer any flights out of LAX on their own metal so it must be a code share outbound.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:07 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,250,996 times
The flight is November 2 - November 17, they fly out of LA though American Airlines, for as much as I hate American Airlines the price isn't too bad. The ticket is 615 and 965 after taxes.

Do you guys think the ticket price might go down or will the prices only go up? I have never flown to that side of the world so I'm not very familiar with prices, any ideas?

Old 05-31-2010, 10:59 AM

965 R/T is a good price, everyone else is in the 1400+ range, I would book it, Dont think it will go lower, Even this far out (and its not that far for a intl trip) I would not think its going to go down, as you get closer to the date the price WILL go up. Airlines wont go below some price even if they have to fly empty seats. If they go to low just to fill the plane it devalues there brand because people will expect that price level.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:06 AM

Also Gulf Air has a
Our "Lowest Fares Guaranteed" is a promise that you will not find a cheaper Gulf Air flight anywhere else online! In fact, if you do, we will refund the difference!*

So they do find a lower price for them you might get them to refund the difference. (I didn't read the T&C) for the Guarante

Old 05-31-2010, 11:20 AM

926 posts, read 2,458,234 times
I have used priceline and just know that if they accept your price, your ticket is charged immediatly on your credit card and you have NO control over the time. I needed to get home for a family crisis and I just needed to be home overnight. I researched flights and found tons of seats on all flights , all times so I thought this would be a good chance to get a low fare. Well when priceline accepted my low price, they charged my credit card immediatly and come to find out they had me departing at 10:30pm monday night and returning at 6am on tuesday morning. I would have rather paid $200 extra dollars to leave at better times. Just be aware you cannot control the time they give you- they just say if they accept your price you will depart within 24hrs. Usually they give the most crappy times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel